Offense. Week 1. Snap 1

I think it'd have to be a 3 WR set, with a TE and a RB - Johnson, Rogers, Woods, Chandler, and Spiller. That would be a nice group, I'd think.

:thumbsup:

I see this being our standard formation. I really don't think we need multiple formations like Chan used. Motions in and out of this formations can create great mismatches IMO. If we think we have the talent to do so, match our guys up with them and out play. Smoke and mirrors no more.

I'm trying to think of this in terms of what would scare the defense the most. I think having both CJ and Fred on the field, with the option to split CJ out wide would definitely cause problems for opposing D's. CJ is definitely one of those players that you pay attention to him no matter where he is on the field.

With that said, my group looks like:

Spiller

Johnson

Jackson

Woods

Chandler

I have been saying this for months. Regardless of who the top 5 are - we know who the top 3 are. Jackson. Spiller. Johnson. If you put two TE's in you can still do a lot. If you put 3 WR in you can do a lot.

Imagine two TE's on the field so the defense goes base. If we get any type of option at TE to catch the ball and split Spiller out then we can really get some mismatches. Especially with Jackson still in the backfield

I respectfully disagree. Every time Smith touches the ball, it ends up in positive yardage and usually results in a first down.

He's smart enough and prepared enough to be an emergency long-term WR back-up.

He's been more durable than any other WR on the team.

Having that depth, as well as ST help, is worth his salary. He's done nothing but good things whenever he takes the field.

EDIT: Adding contract details ...

7/28/2011: Signed a four-year, $15 million contract

The deal included a $2 million signing bonus.

2013: $2.75 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus)

2014: $3 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus)

2015: Free Agent

Well, we will have to respectfully agree to disagree then gug's.

Can he fall forward for a yard or two for a first down? Yes. Is there anything that he can do in the backfield that couldn't be done equally as well by EJ Manuel (and he can throw too), CJ Spiller, or Fred Jackson? I would argue no. With regard to depth at WR, I would rather keep around guys like Brandon Kaufmann or Chris Hogan. If he is being kept around for his special teams prowess alone....it would be a tough sell for me (if I were Russ Brandon) to keep Smith around for that kind of coin.

In any event, I don't want to turn this into yet another Brad Smith thread. I will say, however, that if he makes the 53 man roster, I wouldn't cry and stomp my feet. If he were to get released, I wouldn't cry and stomp my feet.

In any event, I don't want to turn this into yet another Brad Smith thread. I will say, however, that if he makes the 53 man roster, I wouldn't cry and stomp my feet. If he were to get released, I wouldn't cry and stomp my feet.

For future reference, what would make you cry and stomp your feet? Always good to know these things.

Well, we will have to respectfully agree to disagree then gug's.

Can he fall forward for a yard or two for a first down? Yes. Is there anything that he can do in the backfield that couldn't be done equally as well by EJ Manuel (and he can throw too), CJ Spiller, or Fred Jackson? I would argue no. With regard to depth at WR, I would rather keep around guys like Brandon Kaufmann or Chris Hogan. If he is being kept around for his special teams prowess alone....it would be a tough sell for me (if I were Russ Brandon) to keep Smith around for that kind of coin.

I don't know why, but I just really like the guy. I won't be surprised, nor will I stomp my feet, if he's to be released. I think I like his selflessness and his attitude more than his actual on-field production. You're right ... not another Brad Smith thread!!!

As to whether Freddie and CJ should be on the field at the same time, doesnt it depend on:

(1) the Offensive Line. Are they better at blocking a one-back set? If so, go one back and put another receiver out there. And CJ would be the one-back for the majority of snaps. I think that having O-linemen who can get to the second level quickly (and take out linebackers) is what the one-back needs. Otherwise, you need that 2nd rb/fb as a lead blocker to take out the linebackers. If one-back, maybe 80/20 split CJ/FJ.

(2) whether CJ would be lined up in the slot, while Freddie is in the backfield. If so, go for it.

(3) whether they intend to employ a fullback, which i'm guessing they dont. Fullbacks dont work well with a "fast-paced" offense.

I say, go one-back for the majority of plays, and if that one-back is Freddie, then either give CJ a rest, or put him in the slot.

CJ needs to rest because he's young & gets tired, oh wait that was last season's excuse. Carry-on.

+1. When I was young I needed MUCH more rest than I do now, mr. Gailey. :wallbash:

Edited by maddenboy

I respectfully disagree. Every time Smith touches the ball, it ends up in positive yardage and usually results in a first down.

He's smart enough and prepared enough to be an emergency long-term WR back-up.

He's been more durable than any other WR on the team.

Having that depth, as well as ST help, is worth his salary. He's done nothing but good things whenever he takes the field.

To add to what you've said, Brad Smith is a pretty elite athlete and he has shown some very nice flashes as a receiver.

Wideout might be his natural position and I'm excited to see how he'll do now that he's taking every snap with the receivers.

Those of you wanting to jettison Brad Smith should realize he was a very big part of ST last season, particularly on kick coverage. That, plus the fact he has been a decent receiver, likely keep him around this season.

And KO returns. I was at that Tennessee game where CJ2K ran 93 yards untouched for a TD. Then they kicked off to us and Brad answered with a return for a TD.