Is Jeff Tuel the reason for T. Tax departure?

"He (Tuel) got some more work in the minicamp this week and has what look to be good physical tools. Clearly the Bills believe he can be developed since he was kept over Tavaris Jackson". - Chris Brown, July 14, 2013 - 11:46 AM.

I think he read my post here before writing his Fan Friday piece. It's not about snatching up some undrafted player. Teams cut and sign players throughout the pre-season and season. It's always about improving the roster. Would love to take that wager but can't afford to risk more than $5.00. Is that ok?

I do agree that it's all about Manual. Never said it wasn't. Really like him staying in town until training camp.

Nice sparing with you Kirby. Gotta go take the wife out for Friday night dinner.

Awe you falling for PR. How cute.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He (Tuel) got some more work in the minicamp this week and has what look to be good physical tools. Clearly the Bills believe he can be developed since he was kept over Tavaris Jackson". - Chris Brown, July 14, 2013 - 11:46 AM.

I think he read my post here before writing his Fan Friday piece. It's not about snatching up some undrafted player. Teams cut and sign players throughout the pre-season and season. It's always about improving the roster. Would love to take that wager but can't afford to risk more than $5.00. Is that ok?

I do agree that it's all about Manual. Never said it wasn't. Really like him staying in town until training camp.

Nice sparing with you Kirby. Gotta go take the wife out for Friday night dinner.

Nice sparring with you as well and enjoy dinner with the wife!! I am in on the wager. I hope that the kids a player (or Manuel or even Kolb). I want someone to play the position the way that it was meant to be played. I am so exited for this season!! Regardless of the record I like the approach that they are taking.

I think the OP is on to something. They brought in Tuel for a pre-draft visit and signed him asap after the draft. Someone likes this kid. Once it was clear TJax couldn't beat out Kolb, I'm betting they didn't want to expose Tuel to waivers. Not sure he has done much w/ the Bills to deserve it yet, but someone is interested in him.

TJax left Minnesota because he wanted to compete for a starting job, and Seattle traded him. He's easily good enough for a roster spot, the Bills just handled the QB situation poorly and got played.

thanks for the info about why he left minnesota. still not sure about just how good he is though.

the bills scouted (tuel) him with a vengance. washington state qb who broke some of drew bledsoe's records.

Edited by jethro_tull

Given that the Bills don't have a single proven starter on the roster, I would have taken 4 QBs into preseason and kept 3 on the roster in the regular season.

As it is now, I tend to think texasabres might be right. The Bills just might give Tuel a roster spot.

Thanks for clearing that up; for a moment I thought he was talking about T. Rex -- who would obviously have been released because of his short arms.

That former Boston College nose tackle, Mike Ruth had really short arms. he proved to be a poor NFL player but he would have been a great predatory dinosaur.

Can someone help me out here?

1. Is it typical for a team to announce who the starters are now or come August?

2. Do rosters need to be cut down now, or does that all occur in August?

Thanks.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1.+Is+it+typical+for+a+team+to+announce+who+the+starters+are+now+or+come+August%3F+2.+Do+rosters+need+to+be+cut+down+now%2C+or+does+that+all+occur+in+August%3F

Given that the Bills don't have a single proven starter on the roster, I would have taken 4 QBs into preseason and kept 3 on the roster in the regular season.

As it is now, I tend to think texasabres might be right. The Bills just might give Tuel a roster spot.

The wager is on the table and I am giving 2:1 odds. Kolb and EJ are the only guys with a shot to play QB this year (barring injury). They are not keeping a 3rd on the active roster to eat up a roster spot.

I think that there are a few teams with questionable QB situations. I just do not see anybody snatching up an undrafted rookie that they did not sign after the draft to be on their active roster. First off, that team would have to carry 3 QBs on their 53. If you do not have 1 QB, I am not sure the logic in carrying 3. I'd be more than willing to wager that he is not on any 53 man roster this year. I'd even give 2 to 1.

To the topic on hand, the decision is about Manuel. They want to get him the reps.

I won't go out on the zero percent chance he makes it limb but I'm pretty far out there. He's a great practice squad candidate, poor candidate for the 53

There are dozens of guys with similar talents and skillsets that sit around the bottom of rosters. They aren't seen as starters. They are guys that you think can run the scout team and hopefully be a backup one day. Once in a blue moon one surprises. Rarely are they stolen from other teams because the consistency and familiarity is worth more than the gap in talent between qb80 and qb85 league wide.

I won't go out on the zero percent chance he makes it limb but I'm pretty far out there. He's a great practice squad candidate, poor candidate for the 53

There are dozens of guys with similar talents and skillsets that sit around the bottom of rosters. They aren't seen as starters. They are guys that you think can run the scout team and hopefully be a backup one day. Once in a blue moon one surprises. Rarely are they stolen from other teams because the consistency and familiarity is worth more than the gap in talent between qb80 and qb85 league wide.

You pretty much said it better than I could. I guess that was my point that he is a great practice squad candidate and not a great roster candidate. He will hopefully develop into a backup someday but not likely to be on the 53.

Most fans and reporters have speculated that Tavaris Jackson was released last week in order to give E.J. the opportunity for more reps. That is probably the case.

John Murphy spoke with Simon on GR55 this morning of his impressions of minni-camp and at the end of Murphy's summary, he noted the arm talent of Jeff Tuel. I watched you tube highlites of Tuel and thought he threw the ball well and moved well in and out of the pocket. Now Murph has taken notice of him which makes me think that the departure of Jackson was for Tuel's benefit as well as E.J.'s. Training camp will be a lot of fun to watch this year.

I also love the glowing remarks about Kiko Alonzo, i.e., "it will take a stick of dynomite to get him out of the starting lineup". I'm excited.

All I will say is that Jackson had the Seahawks playing pretty well when he last got regular playing time. Why he never got a chance in Buffalo will always be a mystery. If they cut ties with Jackson, who had been playing well for Seattle then, perhaps, all three QBs on the roster (Kolb, Manuel, Tuel) are showing real potential.

My take - they wanted two guys that could play week 1. The Jackson signing was simple insurance with fitz being a question mark, and you never knowing what vet might be cut, if said vet will even sign with you, if your guy falls to you in the draft.... And not often discussed but if that rookie looks like he's worth anything opening day.

I think EJ made this decision not tuel. I think they wanted two guys so if one takes a Tom Brady hit to the knee week one they have another they feel confident tossing in there. If EJ didnt shine early and looked like a project that sits for a full year, kolb would have Jackson out there paid like a backup to be his backup. With kolb and ej fighting for 1 & 2, there's no reason to keep a guy paid as a high end number two to fill the number 3 spot.

Good post. Obviously, they weren't keeping two vets on this roster, but I think the Teul observation is a good one. Two young QBs come in together, form a relationship and grow together, and maybe Teul becomes the back up in a season or two. Reestablishing a Kelly/Reich type relationship for a few years could be a good thing.