Kevin Kolb vs Trent Edwards

Had some time at work and was wondering on who we should start at QB. Crunched some numbers and was trying to think of who Kolb reminded me of, and unfortunately it was Trent Edwards...

Kevin Kolb Career

Games Played: 34

Completions: 449

Attempts: 755

Comp %: 59.5

Yards: 5,206

Avg: 6.9

TD: 28

INT: 25

Fumbles: 16

QB Rating: 78.9

Trent Edwards Career

Games Played: 38

Completions: 563

Attempts: 929

Comp %: 60.6

Yards: 6,033

Avg: 6.49

TD: 26

INT: 30

Fumbles: 10

QB Rating: 75.5

Not sure about you all but I am tired of the dink and dunk passes. The avg yards per completion may be at the league average...no idea. I did look up Brees and over his career he has an avg of 7.47 yards per completion so I may be over reacting to the dink and dunk. I'm just hoping EJ turns out to be more like Brees with a career rating of 94.3, light years in front of these guys.

With the changes to the offensive line, I feel we have to start either TJ or EJ to have the ability to scramble. With Wood being injury prone and the loss of Levitre, we may be looking at a Steeler type offensive line all year with changing personnel every other game.

Thoughts? Go Bills!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about you all but I am tired of the dink and dunk passes. The avg yards per completion may be at the league average...no idea. I did look up Brees and over his career he has an avg of 7.47 yards per completion so I may be over reacting to the dink and dunk. I'm just hoping EJ turns out to be more like Brees with a career rating of 94.3, light years in front of these guys.

Don't worry about EJ dinking and dunking http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ej-manuel-1.html

Trent Edwards college stats http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/trent-edwards-1.html

EJ can sling it.

Kolb is sort of a less intelligent Fitz with a better arm and probably a little less toughness/heart.

T-jax is only a little more mobile than Kolb, has an absolute cannon arm, but has been plagued with accuracy problems. I've never heard where he stands on mental aspects of the game, just that he like Kolb has had trouble keeping a starting job.

EJM is a superior passer and athlete. He is reported to possess some key leaderworl attributes. If he isn't the starter by week 6, I suspect the least favorable appraisals in terms of readiness will get the "I told you so's" in.

Big difference between the two. Ill break it down for you as simple as I can

Kevin Kolb = Balls

Trent Edwards = No balls

I am with you. Trenative was probably my least favorite Bill of all time. He was scared to play the game. I think that Kolb is much closer to Fitz. Fitz had his issues but he is by far the best QB of the last decade (since Bledsoe anyways). Fitz is at least an NFL QB as is Kolb. They are high end backups or low end starters. Trent Edwards was neither.

Had some time at work and was wondering on who we should start at QB. Crunched some numbers and was trying to think of who Kolb reminded me of, and unfortunately it was Trent Edwards...

Kevin Kolb Career

Games Played: 34

Completions: 449

Attempts: 755

Comp %: 59.5

Yards: 5,206

Avg: 6.9

TD: 28

INT: 25

Fumbles: 16

QB Rating: 78.9

Trent Edwards Career

Games Played: 38

Completions: 563

Attempts: 929

Comp %: 60.6

Yards: 6,033

Avg: 6.49

TD: 26

INT: 30

Fumbles: 10

QB Rating: 75.5

With the changes to the offensive line, I feel we have to start either TJ or EJ to have the ability to scramble. With Wood being injury prone and the loss of Levitre, we may be looking at a Steeler type offensive line all year with changing personnel every other game.

Thoughts? Go Bills!

Did Trent really play that many games...i'm gonna be sick...

I've always thought that Edwards got a raw deal (as did we all) under Dick Jauron. A no-huddle offense with a weak O-line? Who ever thought that was a good idea? As far as I'm concerned, Edwards was set up to fail. Be that as it may, I'm more interested in the comparison between Kolb and Tarvaris Jackson.

I am with you. Trenative was probably my least favorite Bill of all time. He was scared to play the game. I think that Kolb is much closer to Fitz. Fitz had his issues but he is by far the best QB of the last decade (since Bledsoe anyways). Fitz is at least an NFL QB as is Kolb. They are high end backups or low end starters. Trent Edwards was neither.

I think Edwards' timidity on the field was a direct result of Jauron's incessant mantra of, "No negative plays." No risk, no reward. And getting his bell rung in Arizona only made it worse.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Edwards' timidity on the field was a direct result of Jauron's incessant mantra of, "No negative plays." No risk, no reward. And getting his bell rung in Arizona only made it worse.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, watching him was painful. Nothing that I liked more than on 4th and 7 watching him check down to a FB for no yards and then ripping off his chin strap in anger.

Kevin Kolb = Balls

Trent Edwards = No balls

There is a similarity that is just as big. Both of them had some talent, but they each got their balls kicked in.

The fan haters will hate me for this, but the Bills have a history of acquiring quaterbacks, and placing them behind horrid offensive lines. Want some names? Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and even Fitz.. It was ok wrt Flutie, whereas he thrived on broken plays. Fitz could also at times run his way out of trouble.

Now, what about Manuel? While the OL isn't as bad as it has been for 15 years or more, we lost our best guard, if not our best blocker. In fact, a journeyman was jut signed to replace him.

Kolb played last season behind a line that was SO bad, the Bills DL ate them for breakfast. This is saying something. If Kolb starts the season, he will in all probability be crushed early on. There is only so much of a beating a human body can take. Let's see what is left of Big Ben, and this guy probably weighs 260.

Trent was OK until he got physically destroyed. The same could be said for Kolb.

Imo, Bills Fans need to hope that this OL can provide a big running game to ease the growing pains of Manuel, who will be in there sooner than later.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Kevin Kolb = Balls

Trent Edwards = No balls

The common thread between the two. They are very often injured!

I've always thought that Edwards got a raw deal (as did we all) under Dick Jauron. A no-huddle offense with a weak O-line? Who ever thought that was a good idea? As far as I'm concerned, Edwards was set up to fail. Be that as it may, I'm more interested in the comparison between Kolb and Tarvaris Jackson.

GO BILLS!!!

Please. He has done NOTHING since he left the Bills. He sucked, still sucks, and was always gonna suck. It wasn't the coaches fault (they didn't help). He has had MANY opportunities since then, and no coach has found any gold. Why is that so difficult for some to accept?

There is a similarity that is just as big. Both of them had some talent, but they each got their balls kicked in.

The fan haters will hate me for this, but the Bills have a history of acquiring quaterbacks, and placing them behind horrid offensive line. Want some names? Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and even Fitz.. It was ok wrt Flutie, whereas he thrived on broken plays. Fitz could also at times run his way out of trouble.

Now, what about Manuel? While the OL isn't as bad as it has been for 15 years or more, we lost our best guard, if not our best blocker. In fact, a journeyman was jut signed to replace him.

Kolb played last season behind a line that was SO bad, the Bills DL ate them for breakfast. This is saying something. If Kolb starts the season, he will in all probability be crushed early on. There is only so much of a beating a human body can take. Let's see what is left of Big Ben, and this guy probably weighs 260.

Trent was OK until he got physically destroyed. The same could be said for Kolb.

Imo, Bills Fans need to hope that this OL can provide a big running game to ease the growing pains of Manuel, who will be in there sooner than later.

I agree with this.

I'd like to add that Trent Edwards was trained in a west coast offense while in college at Stanford, and was forced to play in a Mike Martz style of offensive under a pair of OC's that were promoted QB coaches that had no prior NFL coordinator experience. Dickhead Jauron and his band of morons ruined both JP Losman and Trent Edwards in a crap offensive system with bad offensive coordinators, and bad lines.

When I think of Trent Edwards all I think of is all the concussions he sustained along with the hammering he took while playing for A$$clowns.

Lets hope Marrone installs a power run game to help keep pressure off the QB's

Look at this (courtesy of pro-football-reference.com):

Trent: 38 games, 4 fourth quarter comebacks, 5 game winning drives (none since age 25)

Kolb: 34 games, 4 fourth quarter comebacks, 3 game winning drives

TJack: 52 games, 3 fourth quarter comebacks, 4 game winning drives (none since age 25)

Trent actually looked pretty good until he got his bell rung. And he probably had the worst teams to play with among the three.

I believe pretty firmly that QBs can be ruined by coaches. Not all of them, some just suck right out of the box. Trent edwards was one I believe was ruined by the moronic coaching staff he had to suffer through, while JP Losman just sucked right out of the box..

Please. He has done NOTHING since he left the Bills. He sucked, still sucks, and was always gonna suck. It wasn't the coaches fault (they didn't help). He has had MANY opportunities since then, and no coach has found any gold. Why is that so difficult for some to accept?

Relax. I do not assert Edwards was ruined by coaches or had any untapped potential.

But when you look at the progression of his time behind center in Buffalo, he CLEARLY changed in the way he attacked defenses. Something triggered that change. And given Jauron's constant reminder to avoid negative plays and the shot he took in Arizona, I'll stick with those as the main reasons he became too quick to give up on plays. He started playing scared when previously he wasn't afraid to let a play develop and take a shot.

GO BILLS!!!

Let's see...we are comparing Kolb to Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitz? Boy are we in trouble.

Rather have a punch in the throat or a kick in the balls?

Tough decision...