Getting Sunday Ticket discounted or free

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How I watch Football on Sundays. I live in the Philadelphia area and used to go to sports bars and try to watch the game with no sound on the TV in the corner which usually gets switched off when the Eagles come on at 4. I got the game day tablet app for my IPad and watch the bills on that. I had no problem with getting as i told them my development didnt allow me to get a dish. I can also mirror it on my TV or sit on my back porch with a cigar and watch the game with a cigar. I also record the two games that are on TV and toggle between them on the streaming TiVo on my phone or my girlfriends IPad.

I love my system.

Not really. DVR fee is $10, HD fee is $10, and whole home DVR is $3. So that equals $23 (for existing customers - somehow new customers get an extra $2 tacked on). For one box, that's ridiculous. But keep in mind that if you have a regular HD DVR, you're already paying the DVR and HD fee. And that's not per box -- if you have 5 DVRs in your house, you still pay only the base $10+$10 (although you do pay I think $7/month for each addition receiver). Of course if you only have one TV, why do you want 5 tuners and whole home DVR? :)

Of course the constantly escalating prices are why people are cutting the cord. According to this, 20% of Netflix users have cancelled cable/satellite service: http://www.neowin.ne...heir-tv-service

I left DTV 10 yrs ago and have bounced back and forth between TWC and Dish network since. When I looked at DTVs offer to new customers, I could hardly pass it up. The 2 yr contract stinks, but for the first yr it's a pretty good deal. I can live with the additional charges for the Genie even though I was pretty shocked by how much they charge for it considering installation is free. I can see how people are not happy with DTVs regular pricing though. My package would be $78 per month plus the cost of ST and the Genie. That's a lot. I just won't be getting ST next yr. I like having TV but that's just not an acceptable level to pay for programming in my opinion. I've lived without ST for 10yrs now and I can live without it next yr too.

My mea culpa: So I gave you guys some shite up thread about outdoing one another as a joke and it was all in good fun...but then I was paying my bills and had to pay Time Warner for the bundled internet, tv and phone. The bill was $240. I went through the bill and then called Time Warner and I asked the rep if I drop tv how much would my bill be for just internet and phone. He told me $116. So the cost of the tv service with Time Warner is $124. I called Direct TV and they said the Playstation version of Sunday Ticket isn't confirmed yet and if you get Direct TV reception you won't qualify anyway. I asked him what his best deal for Direct TV would be. He gave me the Xtra package, three months of movie channels, Sunday ticket max, Genie, three mini genies all for $65.00/mth for the first year. It will be $80/mth for the second year. I am actually saving money. The installer was there yesterday and installed everything. So I have TW phone and internet that still works fine and Direct TV for about $60/mth cheaper than TW. So thanks for the input fellas. Sorry for busting your chops up above. PS: The Direct TV rep did say this may be the last year of Sunday Ticket with Direct TV as the contract is up after this season so we'll see if that is another issue next year. I suppose they will do everything they can to retain the Sunday Ticket because that is a huuuuge reason so many people sign up.

Well done Fergy. I think The Sunday Ticket may be available to others and think DTV just loses it's status as the only company to carry it. Hockey package is available with cable packages and think the NFL may go this way to make it available to more people. Can't see DTV giving it up completely.

So, I finally called today. When the automated voice asked me for the reason for my call I said "cancel service," and was immediately re-routed to customer retention. I explained my situation...just moved, unhappy with my DTV equipment, got a sweet deal from Dish to switch over, etc...

The representative was AWESOME! She immediately told me that it was her goal to not lose me as a customer. Offered me almost $50/month of my bill for 15 months, a Genie and Mini-Genie, 3 months of all the movie channels free, NFL Sunday Ticket Max free, and HBO and Showtime free for 12 months. It was so easy. I was very polite and respectful....even used the ol' poor Bills fan routine (she actually ate that up).

Now my monthly bill is cut on half, I have all the movie channels I could ever need, and ST Max for free. What a country!! Glad I just bought that new 60" flat screen!

So, I finally called today. When the automated voice asked me for the reason for my call I said "cancel service," and was immediately re-routed to customer retention. I explained my situation...just moved, unhappy with my DTV equipment, got a sweet deal from Dish to switch over, etc...

The representative was AWESOME! She immediately told me that it was her goal to not lose me as a customer. Offered me almost $50/month of my bill for 15 months, a Genie and Mini-Genie, 3 months of all the movie channels free, NFL Sunday Ticket Max free, and HBO and Showtime free for 12 months. It was so easy. I was very polite and respectful....even used the ol' poor Bills fan routine (she actually ate that up).

Now my monthly bill is cut on half, I have all the movie channels I could ever need, and ST Max for free. What a country!! Glad I just bought that new 60" flat screen!

You and your Japanese automobiles and New York State sparkling wines.

You arrogant !@#$.

Isn't there a Bills message board for elitists?

Thought I would chime in on what I got....my contract is up in 6 months....I called and only had to renew my contract for another 6 months.... I got 30$ off for 12 months....5$ off for 6 months....5$ off for 3 months. nfl ticket free and show time for free for 3 months....I thought it was good deal to only have to extend another 6 months.

Boy did I have a different experience. Did the same thing, asked for customer retention, and got a CSR who didn't seem particularly enthusiastic about retaining my business, at least for Sunday Ticket. Without any questioning, he just went right ahead and cancelled it from my service. Afterward, he went through my account and ended up giving me enough discounts per month for the next six months to cover the cost of ST, but it never dawned on him to instead offer ST for "free". So I had him add it back, and basically I'll get it for free this year. Then he nicely upgraded it to ST Max for nothing extra, although I don't really need it.

Strange, but got the job done, I guess.

I renewed today.

After dialing the 1 (800) 531-5000 number I immediately asked the person who answered the call for Customer Retention. He seemed somewhat taken aback by the directness of my request. I was transferred. I had cued up the DishNetwork offers in another tab and started talking about that and how we've been DirecTV people for 8 years.

I took the very polite but firm, conversational tone about how unfortunate it is that longtime customers get screwed while new customers get the introductory rate, etc. Talked about how we loved DirecTV service and product but that money talks.

Long story shorter, we got the NFL Sunday Ticket Max for half price at $149. This includes the Red Zone Channel and the "To go" package for when we're not at home.

They also waived our $10/month fee for our HD Advanced Receiver for 12 months and discounted our "Choice Extra Classic" package by $25 month for 12 months.

Total saved for the phone call: $570 for the next 12 months.

Really glad things worked out for you. Hopefully, I can do the same when the time comes.

I am ok paying something for ST I should have asked for free movie channels it ight have been offered but never find anything worth watch g on them so didnt waste my time. I did try a play for center ice but that's to in system yet and they don't have the wiggle room on center ice that they de for ST he did say call back i two months they could do something for me,

Edited by bills_fan_in_raleigh

I finally did my annual DTV call and got the Genie for free, $25/month off my bill for 6 months ($5 per each movie channel package I had, which is all 5 of them) and they lowered the Sunday ticket to $29/month (5 months is the billing cycle). So I am paying like $4-$5 per month for my Sunday ticket (loaded version with all the online, redzone stuff).

Interesting as we get closer to the start of the season that you see the Ticket deals getting smaller. Will be curious moving forward if anyone is able to land the full-boat ST for free with Genie, etc. The CSR I spoke to mentioned there was a window, and I wonder if that window is now closing.