Getting Sunday Ticket discounted or free

I called today. Late I know. I went right to customer retention I think, said I wanted to cancel ST and HBO. All he offered was $5 off per payment. I said cancel. He said ok and did. I've been a customer since '00 with Sunday ticket he whole time. I'll call back tomorrow and tell them all the deals I've seen online and see what happens. If nothing, it's off to the sports bars for me.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called today. Late I know. I went right to customer retention I think, said I wanted to cancel ST and HBO. All he offered was $5 off per payment. I said cancel. He said ok and did. I've been a customer since '00 with Sunday ticket he whole time. I'll call back tomorrow and tell them all the deals I've seen online and see what happens. If nothing, it's off to the sports bars for me.

It maybe too late. My brother-in-law called yesterday too & he got the same crappy deal. He threatened to actually cancel his service & they called his bluff. The hot head that he is instead of just hanging up or saying can't we worked something out actually had the service cancelled & is getting Time Warner tomorrow.

It took me 4 calls this year...continuously got half off offer on the Max package... about a week ago I ended up getting Sunday ticket plus the red zone channel for free. They wouldn't give me the full max package with the wireless access or whatever but did add in the redzone. Might be an angle some of you guys try to get.

The dream is still somewhat alive but I had to work for it. Called today. Had to go through three departments and then a verification phone call. First guy offered the ticket for $29.99 a month for six months. Told him to cancel me. He instead offered to transfer me.

Second guy offered to give me the Sunday Ticket for $129.99. Told him that its not fair that I see all these deals posted online plus new customers that get it for free, etc, etc, etc. I told I still want to cancel because I go to 8 Bills games a year and they are on NFL Network in another one. Transferred to an American. Finally.

My deal ends up being $20 off of my bill per month for 12 months, $15 off of my bill for 15 months and Sunday Ticket free. I really hate calling every year, but really, that just netted me $690 in savings. How can you not call and haggle? I actually had to edit this because I checked my new bill, and thought the $20 off for 12 months or $15 off for 15 was an either or. Turns out, I'm getting both. Wow. Good Luck everyone. Its worth the phone call.

Pretty Happy right now.

Edited by Lv-Bills

It took me 4 calls this year...continuously got half off offer on the Max package... about a week ago I ended up getting Sunday ticket plus the red zone channel for free. They wouldn't give me the full max package with the wireless access or whatever but did add in the redzone. Might be an angle some of you guys try to get.

Gonna try this. I called twice and got a deal-- but not with max. I just want redzone, not the whole max.

Direct TV is playing hardball on the NFL package this year with most customers because they had their fees raised. So its tougher to get a deal this season, AND if you verbally agreed to a 2 year deal last year you are now locked in.

I just told them I can't afford another 44.99 / 59.99 on my monthly bill for the Sunday Ticket, so I asked what programming I can cut out and still get the Sunday ticket. They wanted me to give up HBO, and I said no way. Eventually they cut some scrub channels and gave me Starz for free for 6 mo, and Sunday ticket max for 29.99. While cutting 29.99 worth of channels I don't ever watch, which worked for me.

Called early last Saturday. Got Sunday Ticket for free, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz free for six months and $23 off my monthly bill for the next 18 months and $10 off my bill for every month after that up to 24 months. Had to re-up a one-year contract. Couldn't be happier!

I called a few days ago, I only carry DTV for the NFL, so I pay 29 a month all year and then the NFL package. I explained I didn't want to pay 360 for the full year just so I could watch 7-10 games a season for an additional 260 or whatever they were looking for. I asked to be cancelled. They offered new channels for free, then additional NFL packages for free, but I wanted the NFL free. She kept saying we hate to lose a loyal 14 year customer, yada yada, but I said if it isn't coming for free, I choose not to pay 29 a month for the option to pay an additional 260 for football.

Unless they call back within the next week, I will be watching local games (Giants and Jets) and will use my seasons a bit more. My couch will have less people on it, but my wing costs will decline with the lower attendance.

It was a nice run, but I think I am done with DTV.

Granted I have been with Direct TV for 11 years and I purchase their premier package, (over priced I know), however, every (yes every) August I call them and we negotiate $30 off my bill per month for the next 12 months and free NFL ticket with redzone package...and all I ever have to agree to is a 12 month commitment. Like I said, out of the box, I pay for their premium package, 2 DVR's and 4 HD receivers, so they are making money, but for what amounts to $130 per month for all that and the ticket, how can you say no?

I called a few days ago, I only carry DTV for the NFL, so I pay 29 a month all year and then the NFL package. I explained I didn't want to pay 360 for the full year just so I could watch 7-10 games a season for an additional 260 or whatever they were looking for. I asked to be cancelled. They offered new channels for free, then additional NFL packages for free, but I wanted the NFL free. She kept saying we hate to lose a loyal 14 year customer, yada yada, but I said if it isn't coming for free, I choose not to pay 29 a month for the option to pay an additional 260 for football.

Unless they call back within the next week, I will be watching local games (Giants and Jets) and will use my seasons a bit more. My couch will have less people on it, but my wing costs will decline with the lower attendance.

It was a nice run, but I think I am done with DTV.

I've been with them for 15+ years. I got the run around once 2 weeks ago ( I did not go to retentioni dept then). I them e-mailed them and got a direct # to the retention dept. I haven't called them yet ( I am letting the steam lift). They're going to get 1 attempt to get this right or I'll be an ex-directv customer for a very long time!

I really hate calling to beg to get better pricing. I understand it's a business but there has to be a better way.

BTW my contract is up 9/23/13, I;ve warned them that could very well be my last day with them.

Edited by qwksilver

I called last Sunday and very calmly told them time Warner was offering a $300 Visa card to switch and they gave me $40 off for 12 months and Sunday ticket max for free. Fun conversation the guy was joking around because he only offered me Sunday ticket and I said throw in max for free and he said he felt bad that I was a bills fan and threw it in lol. Free is free.

Granted I have been with Direct TV for 11 years and I purchase their premier package, (over priced I know), however, every (yes every) August I call them and we negotiate $30 off my bill per month for the next 12 months and free NFL ticket with redzone package...and all I ever have to agree to is a 12 month commitment. Like I said, out of the box, I pay for their premium package, 2 DVR's and 4 HD receivers, so they are making money, but for what amounts to $130 per month for all that and the ticket, how can you say no?

Very similar to me. I usually ask and they start throwing tons of discounts to me. They do like when your account is on auto pay. I got a discount just for doing that one year.