Getting Sunday Ticket discounted or free

I've been meaning to mention this and it looks like a good enough place if there is one. The NFL will be broadcasting gamepass in the Netherlands for free this year, provided they don't change their policies before the season. Apparently they've done this in a few European countries the past few years that dont have a big NFL following yet to get interest up before finding a distributer to charge big bucks. I have watched a few preseason games this way this year and I don't have any complaints yet. Probably watch a few more during the regular season when I'm too lazy to head out to the bar.

EDIT: Let me add, there are always perfectly legal ways to get an IP address from the NL (or any other country for that matter)... VPN and such

Edited by TheLynchTrain

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update, I went the petulant child route and told them I was done, agreed to the 120 early cancel fee and they shipped the box to return the equipment. I called one last time and said that the box was soaked and need a new one, I said that while looking up the customer service number, "I notice you offer free NFL ticket for new customers". The woman said yes they do and said that offer is available to me as well. I got 120 credit back from the disconnect, free hbo, cinemax and showtime for 3 months and upgraded NFL (redzone etc) for free. 29.99 a month, 1 year contract.

Update, I went the petulant child route and told them I was done, agreed to the 120 early cancel fee and they shipped the box to return the equipment. I called one last time and said that the box was soaked and need a new one, I said that while looking up the customer service number, "I notice you offer free NFL ticket for new customers". The woman said yes they do and said that offer is available to me as well. I got 120 credit back from the disconnect, free hbo, cinemax and showtime for 3 months and upgraded NFL (redzone etc) for free. 29.99 a month, 1 year contract.

Is that 29.99 a month (for 6 months) for Sunday Ticket? Or is that the full package price?

They offered me 29.99 a month (for 6 months) for Sunday Ticket, but I did not like the offer, so I did not make the change.

I don't want to go the full "cancel service" route, but I do want some better deal. Don't care about red Zone.

I called a second time today. Got through to a retention person, apparently.

He gave me the basic Sunday Ticket for free this year, for a 12-month commitment to stay with DTV.

Cool. I'm a happy (and retained) customer. My wife is happy.

I've been with DTV for 16 yrs or so, just so I can see the Bills every week.

I don't like haggling, but it is worthwhile, I must say.

It's a pre-season ritual now, I suppose.

I called a second time today. Got through to a retention person, apparently.

He gave me the basic Sunday Ticket for free this year, for a 12-month commitment to stay with DTV.

Cool. I'm a happy (and retained) customer. My wife is happy.

I've been with DTV for 16 yrs or so, just so I can see the Bills every week.

I don't like haggling, but it is worthwhile, I must say.

It's a pre-season ritual now, I suppose.

Good news. I'll call back again tonight. I will accept no less than free ST and I am prepared to cancel if I don't get it. No bluffing required.

So I called back tonight......I got a regular CSR at first and asked to be transferred to customer retention. He transfers me and I ask the girl if she is with customer retention, of course she isn't, so I ask again to get transferred. I'm on hold for about 25 minutes and finally a customer retention rep answers and I ask for free ticket and RZC, she doesn't hesitate and gives it to me for a 1 year contract. I'm satisfied.

So I called back tonight......I got a regular CSR at first and asked to be transferred to customer retention. He transfers me and I ask the girl if she is with customer retention, of course she isn't, so I ask again to get transferred. I'm on hold for about 25 minutes and finally a customer retention rep answers and I ask for free ticket and RZC, she doesn't hesitate and gives it to me for a 1 year contract. I'm satisfied.

Boom!! :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to give them a call back tonight. I tried yesterday and they tried to offer it to me for 30 with the first month free. I'm guessing I wasn't actually at customer retention.

Is that 29.99 a month (for 6 months) for Sunday Ticket? Or is that the full package price?

They offered me 29.99 a month (for 6 months) for Sunday Ticket, but I did not like the offer, so I did not make the change.

I don't want to go the full "cancel service" route, but I do want some better deal. Don't care about red Zone.

29.99 a month for 1 year, no charge for NFL games and RZ

I'm going to have to give them a call back tonight. I tried yesterday and they tried to offer it to me for 30 with the first month free. I'm guessing I wasn't actually at customer retention.

It will probably take some work and waiting to get to a customer retention rep. I asked the first guy right away if he was with customer retention and he just said he handles all Sunday Ticket inquiries. I asked again if he is customer retention and he seemed a little annoyed and transferred me...to another regular CSR. She was nicer and put all my comments on my account and said she would get me to customer retention "right away". 25 minutes later they picked up, I stated my case again and she immediately gave it to me and asked if there was anything else I wanted. I figured that I'd go for it and ask for Center Ice for free too. She claimed that they weren't selling that package yet, but told me to call back in a couple weeks and I'd probably get that free too.

It will probably take some work and waiting to get to a customer retention rep. I asked the first guy right away if he was with customer retention and he just said he handles all Sunday Ticket inquiries. I asked again if he is customer retention and he seemed a little annoyed and transferred me...to another regular CSR. She was nicer and put all my comments on my account and said she would get me to customer retention "right away". 25 minutes later they picked up, I stated my case again and she immediately gave it to me and asked if there was anything else I wanted. I figured that I'd go for it and ask for Center Ice for free too. She claimed that they weren't selling that package yet, but told me to call back in a couple weeks and I'd probably get that free too.

Well I'll have to set aside an hour later this evening and see what I can work out. I've always been happy with their customer service but getting sunday ticket for free would definitely make me more inclined to refer more people.

Update us on how you make out with Center Ice. Likely if you had waited the two weeks and called then for both ST and Center Ice you'd have got it, but now that you signed the one year contract, the leverage shifts back to them. I made a similar mistake a year ago, once they had my "money" much less generious on the offers.

Well. What an interesting turn of events. So thanks to my wife and her ability to haggle, I now have sunday ticket for free and they lowered our bills by 15 bucks just by asking when our contract was up and talking about our local providers.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Well. What an interesting turn of events. So thanks to my wife and her ability to haggle, I now have sunday ticket for free and they lowered our bills by 15 bucks just by asking when our contract was up and talking about our local providers.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Nice!

Just made my annual call...very late to the game this year. Talked to a very nice and informative female rep. So here is what I got.:

- Sunday Ticket Max (Red Zone/mobile/internet) for $147...she said that since I got it free last year I couldn't get it free this year (but I paid $75 for the Max upgrade last year anyway w/ the free basic ST).

- $200 Visa Gift Card...this basically gives me the ST Max for free + $53 to the good (after the $147).

- Free Genie + 4 free mini-Genies...we were due for an equipment upgrade so the Genie was free with 3 minis plus free installation. She credited the $49 for the 4th mini so that we'd have entire upgrades throughout the house (6 TVs on 3 floors). She also suggested we keep our main HD DVR which would give us the capability to record up to 7 programs at once versus the 5 with the Genie. All of this at no additional monthly cost to what we were already paying. :) Note: I did have to make a two year "commitment" (the buyout fee is $20 per month for every month still "under contract") but I had no intention of leaving, even though I played that card (firmly but nicely).

- I wasn't eligible for any programming discounts because I still had some credits that don't fall off until mid-September. She told me to call back on September 20th after my next billing cycle hits and ask for the 'Loyalty Department'. Since all credits will be gone then, she said I'd "definitely" be eligible to knock some $$ off the monthly bill because nothing was done with programming today and I've been a DTV customer in good standing "forever". After all of this today, I'll still be reaping additional benefits in a couple of weeks. 0:)

My goals going in were:

1) Get Sunday Ticket Max for free or at a substantial discount...check.

2) Get the Genie plus at least an additional mini for free...check.

3) Get my monthly bill lowered... check (in two weeks).

Mission accomplished in a very pleasant 52 minute phone call (which seemed much shorter than that). Man, I love me some DirecTV! :D

GO BILLS!!!

Called last night....got to customer retention in about 5 min...told them I was calling for my yearly haggleing for the Sunday Ticket...told him any help would be appreciated as watching my team is not that entertaining as I am a Bills fan...turns out he is a Pats* fan...told him he really owed me for Mark Anderson...got the Max package for free. Much easier than last few years. So the discount is still availible into Sept if you have yet to call.

Amazon has a deal with the new Madden 25 and Sunday Ticket (including the online version, no DirectTV required) for $100 bucks. Great deal if you plan on getting both.

Just got this. I plan on selling Madden on Craigslist for around $50. so $50 for Sunday Ticket. I plan on running the Sunday Ticket to a TV through an HDMI cable or something similar.

Just got this. I plan on selling Madden on Craigslist for around $50. so $50 for Sunday Ticket. I plan on running the Sunday Ticket to a TV through an HDMI cable or something similar.

50 for sunday ticket is great.

I have been predicting I would get the st for free for a while back. Since I know I'm the master of this, of course I got it free. Let me show off a little bit.

I got the st free. I got the stmax free. I'm happy.

A tip for the late callers:

If you are on auto pay, take yourself off. Then make the call the next day. That way they know the "threat" to cancel is serious.

I told the rep that I spend too much on entertainment. Which I do anyway. I have a sirius subscription (for work and car), I have gamefly (for my punk kids), I have netflix (for my punk/hot wife), directv (for the real punk, me), and internet. I told him that I was going to watch nfl rewind and pay $30 for the year vs $80 per month for direct tv. I told him that I didnt mind watching games late since I go to church sundays. I covered all the bases.

Actually I effed up. He was going to give me more but I accidentally interrupted him.....Then it was too late. I'm sure more discounts were coming.

So as a last lesson. When they start giving their life away, dont interrupt them!!!!

Hope these tips help yall.

You will never have this problem if you say "Cancel" when the automated machine lady asks you to describe the reason for your call.

Then the system will say "Change your service or close your directv account?" Say close your directv account. You will be in the customer retention dept if you do that.

I cancelled DirecTV about 6 months and they have been emailing me to come back. So called last week, they offered the free genie, ST, RZ and free movie channels for 3 months. But the price was still $49 a month. I told them to forget it. That would be $1200 for two years to watch the Bills. I ordered NFL Rewind for $29 for the year. Much better deal.