over-rated and under-rated bands: one man's insober list

My girlfriend loves Grizzly Bear, but something about them really rubs me the wrong way. They're just too precious, too buttoned down. Just real bow tie music, as an old buddy used to say. Department of Eagles are decent though. Sound isnt really my bag, but i totally get it. Much more direct and urgent than GB, which I appreciate.

That's precisely the way I feel about Vampire Weekend. Can't stand 'em, super-overrated, and the music press acts like these guys are doing something innovative.

Underrated: Ty Segall - this dude is prolific and puts out a ton of high-energy garage punk. Most of it is really good.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like vampire weekends sound!

That's precisely the way I feel about Vampire Weekend. Can't stand 'em, super-overrated, and the music press acts like these guys are doing something innovative.

Underrated: Ty Segall - this dude is prolific and puts out a ton of high-energy garage punk. Most of it is really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXONGchVtc

Seconded. Ty Segall is pretty great. He records with a band called White Fence sonetimes who do some pretty awesome stuff on their own.

Seconded. Ty Segall is pretty great. He records with a band called White Fence sonetimes who do some pretty awesome stuff on their own.

Love those guys, too, and have only scratched the surface with Thee Oh Sees, but I enjoy everything I hear from them.

Love those guys, too, and have only scratched the surface with Thee Oh Sees, but I enjoy everything I hear from them.

Thee Oh Sees are one of my favorite bands. Got to be careful with those guys, insanely prolific. Before you realize what's happening you notice you have like 12 of their records. It's like a weed that takes over your collection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On account of all the glowing reviews here, I got The Drive By Truckers album "The Dirty South" (didn't think much of the title but figured it might be irony - I was wrong) and I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. Musically they're not bad, but if I had to take a stab at why they never really hit big I'd say it's probably because they're such a downer. I don't imagine folks are often in the mood to listen to a bunch of depressing songs complaining about how much everything sucks. And that one guy's voice is kind of annoying too.

On account of all the glowing reviews here, I got The Drive By Truckers album "The Dirty South" (didn't think much of the title but figured it might be irony - I was wrong) and I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. Musically they're not bad, but if I had to take a stab at why they never really hit big I'd say it's probably because they're such a downer. I don't imagine folks are often in the mood to listen to a bunch of depressing songs complaining about how much everything sucks. And that one guy's voice is kind of annoying too.

I like Southern Rock Opera better, but that's just me.

• 5 months later...

I have been meaning to post this for a while, but I knew it would be long and I needed to find time. Thanks to the word insober (easily remembered) in the title, finding the thread was easy.

I am heavily biased as he is my favorite musician ever, and he is generally held in high regard, but I am convinced Mark Knopfler in incredibly underrated. This includes his days with Dire Straits, his solo work during that time and especially his solo work post Dire Straits.

He is most known for his phenomenal and unique guitar playing, which I still think is underrated as he plays every guitar type and style imaginable. What seems to go unnoticed is general musicianship. He is known as a rock star, but has many fantastic songs that could be classified as Rock, Gospel, Blues, Country, and several other genres. When you listen a few times you realize the relative ease with which he masters all of these styles and the respect with which he plays them.

His songs have such staying power for me that I often find myself re-discovering old ones that I had almost forgotten and finding out that they become among my favorites when I give them a good listen. In his whole library I find maybe three or four songs that I don't like as much and they are typically the ones that are meant to be funny. "Money for Nothing" is not a bad song, but was overplayed and maybe his best known song besides "Sultans of Swing". That is a shame.

His greatest talent in my opinion is as a songwriter. Yes, that is even over and above his guitar skills. From the beginning with songs like "Lions" and "Wild West End" I found many of his songs to be very unique. His latest CD has "Dream of the Drowned Submariner" and "Yon Two Crows" which I find to be so different in style or lyric that I'm not sure I've ever heard anything quite like them. Many of his songs are about people; some famous, some just regular people, but they always have a different way of showing the dignity of that person without being pretentious. It doesn't matter if it is someone real, like Ray Kroc or Sonny Liston, or someone imagined like the divorced man in "A Place Where We Used To Live" or the traveling gospel singers in "Baloney Again". Even the dignity of a ship in "So Far From the Clyde" is something he describes perfectly. He seems to be able to tell a story about anyone to which anyone can easily relate. I would recommend listening to the spiritual "In the Sky" a few times or "Piper to the End" which is about an uncle he never met who died in WWI. He also did some of his best work without using words via soundtracks. The two most famous are probably "The Princess Bride" and "Local Hero, but there are several others.

So many individual phrases in his songs stick with me. "You can fall for chains of silver, you can fall for chains of gold, you can fall for pretty strangers, and the promises they hold...."; "Too poor to be wasteful with pity or time"; "Generations toiled and hacked....for a pittance and black lung". I find amazing lyrics like this in other songs too, but I find scores in Knopfler's songs and most are very direct and personal, not abstract like the songs I love from Yes or Pink Floyd.

I don't know how anyone could write a song about 9/11 but his "If this is Goodbye" was written for the victims who placed phone calls to their loved ones when they knew they were going to die. As if "My famous last words, are laying around in tatters...." weren't brilliant enough on its own, he wrote it for the voice of Emmylou Harris. It appears on a CD of duets he made with her that is definitely worth a listen if you haven't heard it.

His collaborations are a who's who: Tina Turner, Bob Dylan (Knopfler produced Infidels), James Taylor, Emmylou, Van Morrison, Chet Atkins are among the more famous with Ruth Moody, Pieta Brown and Bap Kennedy being some of my favorite "non-famous" types.

His songs have been covered by: Mary Chapin Carpenter, The Killers, The Indigo Girls, Kenny Rogers, The Judds, Metallica, Randy Travis, Trey Anastasio, Art Garfunkel, Shooter Jennings and.....The Everly Brothers. That's not a bad list.

I know a lot of people like him, but I don't think he ever really received the icon status that he deserves. I doubt he cares. I don't really either, but I think the people that have overlooked his music have really missed out. And again I don't care, but the Rock and Roll hall of fame is a joke.

I listed a lot of songs and wanted to link one that was relatively unknown but what the heck, this one kicks in at 0:11 so I guess that makes the most sense: