over-rated and under-rated bands: one man's insober list

i love Dolores' singing style

Sitting here waiting to get my haircut and the Cranberries came on the radio. Talk about over rated. Not around for very long and they were one of the most popular bands when I was in high school.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I said I was done here but I also have to defend myself. Read what you just wrote. Slowly and especially the bolded part. Now it's your turn to explain why a bunch of guys and gals that are just playing music SHOULD be treated as Gods? For God's sake (pun unintended) the girls screamed so loudlu for the Beatles you couldn't hear the band. That's just a bit over the top don't you think? And here's the funniest part. Most all of the so called gritty down and dirty R&R musicians would cringe at their icon status and consider that reverence as overrated.

And finally my opinion is just that. And if having an opinion that is contrarian makes me a troll then there are a shitload of trolls on this board.

No, you're not even having an opinion - it's just if the band is popular, then you're going to say they are overrated.

No, you're not even having an opinion - it's just if the band is popular treated as Gods, then you're going to say they are overrated.

Well I corrected your statement to be accurate. And yes you're absolutely right. It is my opinon that any band treated as Gods are overrated. Maybe you and jw need to look up the word opinion. :rolleyes:

Edited by Chef Jim

No, you're not even having an opinion - it's just if the band is popular, then you're going to say they are overrated.

don't bother bbb. i've elected against responding to this poster in this thread, and his lil buddy who's jumped on for the ride. not worth the effort.

jw

How to play a guitar solo like The Edge:

Play a fifth. Then a fifth. Then a fifth. Then a fourth. Then a fifth. Then a fourth. Then a fifth. Then a fourth. Repeat for four bars.

But he's "brilliant," because he's "minimalist." No, he's not. The Police were minimalist. He's just an introductory guitar lesson.

There was an HBO special called "It might get loud" and I cringed every part the Edge tried to explain his "sound", the show was with Jimmy Page, Jack White and the Edge. The producer failed miserably by chosing the Edge, a guy that looked like had zero spontaneity and passion for what he does.

don't bother bbb. i've elected against responding to this poster in this thread, and his lil buddy who's jumped on for the ride. not worth the effort.

jw

At 315lbs I hardly consider myself little. But seriously JW this is all opinion and you're hammering us on our opinions. Come on. Lighten up a little.

At 315lbs I hardly consider myself little. But seriously JW this is all opinion and you're hammering us on our opinions. Come on. Lighten up a little.

You mean, "Lighten up, baby, I'm in love with you," ? One of the best vocalists, ever. Fact.

You mean, "Lighten up, baby, I'm in love with you," ? One of the best vocalists, ever. Fact.

No. I mean, hey hey mama is it the way you move gonna make you sweat gonna make you groove.

Or was it hey Tom Sawyer.... Ah never mind. I just irritated the hell out of myself.

Overrated.

Edited by Kevin

That was a great song. Much better than what I think was his first solo single - I'm in the mood for a melody or whatever it was.

That was a great song. Much better than what I think was his first solo single - I'm in the mood for a melody or whatever it was.

I've always been a very serious Led Zep fan, although I was never a big Plant solo fan. If I had to pick a tune I like most, I'd have to go with "Big Log." I do love what he's done with Krauss, however.

I've always been a very serious Led Zep fan, although I was never a big Plant solo fan. If I had to pick a tune I like most, I'd have to go with "Big Log." I do love what he's done with Krauss, however.

that album with Krauss was a little spotty, but the times they clicked was more than worth it.

and Fig, you'll have to remain patient on

White Stripes. ... you'll see why later.

jw

that album with Krauss was a little spotty, but the times they clicked was more than worth it.

and Fig, you'll have to remain patient on

White Stripes. ... you'll see why later.

jw

Understood. Just making sure it didnt get lost amid the, well, ....

"Burning on one Side" was his first, off Pictures at Eleven. "In The Mood" was his third, off The Principle of Moments, which itself is a pretty damn good album.

This song will get you laid. Guaranteed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9-026ZCKR8

That, or side 1 of Led Zeppelin 4.

That's one of his best vocal performances. And Robert Plant had one of the best mullets in rock in the '80s.