over-rated and under-rated bands: one man's insober list

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are doing this show in Philly on Tuesday... Going back and forth...not much of a symphony fan

Huge symphony and R&R fan but not together. Hell I'm a huge Jerry, Warren and symphony fan but not going to this.....I don't think.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Knight: "The Trailer Tapes."

sonafa ... here might well be the absolutely most under-rated albums to come out over the past 7 years. dag-um this is good. it's sparse and sad and just about every song is perfect. this album is essentially what Mellencamp always wanted to record, but failed.

the lyrics are mean and angry, jumping out at you over the understated emphasis of a simple acoustic guitar.

i happened upon Knight quite a while ago, and after sampling a few of his albums on itunes, i wound up taking a shot at this one. my god, this is good. it jumps genres, more rustic than country. but it's not folksy. it picks up a hillbilly trail that Steve Earle has well mined.

"Rita's Only Fault," is something right down Earle's alley, or Mike Cooley's, or Isbell's.

couldn't resist but recommend. this is a must have.

jw

sonafa ... here might well be the absolutely most under-rated albums to come out over the past 7 years. dag-um this is good. it's sparse and sad and just about every song is perfect. this album is essentially what Mellencamp always wanted to record, but failed.

the lyrics are mean and angry, jumping out at you over the understated emphasis of a simple acoustic guitar.

i happened upon Knight quite a while ago, and after sampling a few of his albums on itunes, i wound up taking a shot at this one. my god, this is good. it jumps genres, more rustic than country. but it's not folksy. it picks up a hillbilly trail that Steve Earle has well mined.

"Rita's Only Fault," is something right down Earle's alley, or Mike Cooley's, or Isbell's.

jw

Listening to this album right now (5 songs in) ... "Rita's Only Fault," is a great song. I pictured Springsteen whilst listening to it, more so than Earle. All other tunes (so far) I hear a lot more Earle.

He's a very good lyricist/storyteller.

Thanks for the recommendation.

jw

knight is a good one - ill second the recommendation.

Grooveshark or youtube ... I listen with headphones while I'm working.

I can do that when I really need to concentrate, which is more often than not.........When I don't need to as much, then I can listen to music. But, because that's not as often and I won't be able to listen enough to get to know the new music, I do tend to go to my old youtube playlists.

Am I the norm in how I come to like music. Listen to it kind of in the background a number of times, before I get the "groove" in my head and then decide - Oh, I like that song, that one is OK, etc.

Oddly, the songs that I've said that's a great one on the first time I ever listened did not turn out to be my favorites. It's the ones that more subtly got into my brain that did.

i always have time to listen to music...i have headphones in all day, surf sirius and look up who is playing...i follow alot of music centric folks on twitter so i get some suggestions there...i go out to shows every chance i get...music is a very important part of my life and i make a conscious attempt to pay attention when ever humanly possible...hell, if i am in a bar i am constatnly soundhounding or shazamming what i like and don't recognize

How do you guys get the time to listen to all this new music??

i always have time to listen to music...i have headphones in all day, surf sirius and look up who is playing...i follow alot of music centric folks on twitter so i get some suggestions there...i go out to shows every chance i get...music is a very important part of my life and i make a conscious attempt to pay attention when ever humanly possible...hell, if i am in a bar i am constatnly soundhounding or shazamming what i like and don't recognize

Same here Pooj. I don't watch TV, and constantly have music playing instead. Shazam is wonderful for learning new music. Get well brother!

Listening to this album right now (5 songs in) ... "Rita's Only Fault," is a great song. I pictured Springsteen whilst listening to it, more so than Earle. All other tunes (so far) I hear a lot more Earle.

He's a very good lyricist/storyteller.

Thanks for the recommendation.

wait until you get to "Hard Edges." i'm man enough to say that this song has made me tear up twice through. it's so desperate and yearning.

as to bbb, for how do we find time to listen to all this music, well, you make time for what's important. and to me, music is important. and i keep searching for the good stuff. and i continue to uncover it.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Overrated: Grizzly Bear. So obnoxious. I would ordinarily put Dave Matthews Band here, but I think we, as a society, have finally admitted they were nothing but unlistenable monkey garbage.

Underrated: Crime & The City Solution. They put out a reunion album this year that just does not come off my turntable.

this is probably what most people know them from:

i don't mind grizzly bear, nor do i mind his other project, department of eagles or rossen's solo stuff

Overrated: Grizzly Bear. So obnoxious. I would ordinarily put Dave Matthews Band here, but I think we, as a society, have finally admitted they were nothing but unlistenable monkey garbage.

Underrated: Crime & The City Solution. They put out a reunion album this year that just does not come off my turntable.

this is probably what most people know them from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrMRks07XyY

i don't mind grizzly bear, nor do i mind his other project, department of eagles or rossen's solo stuff

My girlfriend loves Grizzly Bear, but something about them really rubs me the wrong way. They're just too precious, too buttoned down. Just real bow tie music, as an old buddy used to say. Department of Eagles are decent though. Sound isnt really my bag, but i totally get it. Much more direct and urgent than GB, which I appreciate.