Alex Carrington - Secret superstar

Secret Superstar: Alex Carrington

Peter Damilatis | 2013/05/1

This time last year, newcomers Mario Williams and Mark Anderson made the Buffalo Bills one of the winners of the offseason. They were supposed to lift Upstate New York football out of its 12-year slumber, one sack at a time. Yet, as is often the case in the NFL, the shiny new toys of the spring lose their luster come the fall. Williams’ play fell short of his pay, and Anderson had the worst PFF grade of any 4-3 defensive end when his season ended in October. However, we shouldn’t let their disappointing performances condemn Buffalo’s entire front four.

.more....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/16/secret-superstar-alex-carrington/

Nice to see Alex Carrington getting his props and not only for his special team plays. The article notes that after a shaky start as a pro in the hybrid defense he found his place playing defensive tackle and being productive against OGs.

It will be interesting to see how he performs under his 3rd DC in as many years as pro.

A friend of mine is a big Seahawks fan, but has a soft spot for the Bills. He and I were chatting the other day and he was asking about the defense and who looks good on the Bills for 2013. For some reason, I said Kiko, Jairus and Carrington. I like Carrington and definitely see him as an asset that has been improperly utilized by the past two DC's. Great to see him getting some props.

i've been waiting for this guy to emerge for a while now, but in fairness, i've been waiting for the coaching staff to figure out what to do with him. i hope this staff finds a home for him and that he is comfortable with it because i still think he can be an asset to this team, aside from his giant paws blocking kicks.

Nice find.

I just hope we can lock him up long-term, I think he maybe a free agent in 14? He has been a beast his whole career and now he just turning the corner. I have always thought he is a textbook 5 technique and can be border-line dominant.

I somehow stumbled across this interview a while ago, and I thought that he came across as a smart, well spoken guy. I know that we aren't supposed to care, just win baby, show me the baby, etc., but I can't help it. I like rooting for people like this who seem likeable. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lveeliVq4U0

Edited by Gray Beard

• 3 weeks later...

...............DT Alex Carrington. See link below. I know that he really started to distinguish himself toward the end of last year and blocked a whole bunch of FGs/EPs. The new regime has him almost exclusively working inside

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/06/05/why-carrington-could-have-big-year/

A big year from Carrington will do wonders for our defense. K. Williams/Dareus/Branch/Carrington............that's a pretty darn good D-line group.

What other non-rookies or non-first year players do you see having a break out year this year??

I expect the following non-rookies/non-first year players to break out this year:

1. Spiller - He was good last year. This year he becomes a top 3 RB. An absolute stud in your FFL.

2. Wood - Lots of injuries have held him back. This year he becomes a team leader and grabs the reigns as our best O-lineman.

3. Graham - He's quicker/faster and more experienced. He has also been a standout in OTAs for the Bills.

4. Dareus - The death in the family and the injuries have held him back. This year he becomes the dominant player leader of the defense that we expect him to be.

5. Bradham - He showed signs of being a real player in short spurts last year. With a full year under his belt and brand new responsibilities he let's his athleticism take over and becomes a full-time starter at ILB.

6. Mario Williams - He had a decent year last year, but nothing close to being commensurate with what he is being paid. This year, under a DC who will move him around quite a bit so that offenses can't game plan against him, i expect him to have a very productive year. More talent on defense will also help his cause.

7. Byrd - If he resigns soon, which hopefully he will, I think he'll have a big year because of the ballhawk that he is. More pressure on the QB means more takeaways for the defense and Byrd is sure to be a big part of that.

8. Gilmore - He was solid last year as a rookie. This year he makes a name for himself as one of the top five CBs in the league.

I likke the guy. Hope he sees a lot more playing time this year. I'm hoping Williams and Dareus rebound from a less than stellar year last year and the Kyle Williams has full recovery. I loved the Bills defensive line when they had day, sestak, dunaway, mcdole and three or four other d-lineman who would have started almost anywhere else. You really need six or seven guys who can start to have a powerful defensive line. The same goes for the offensive line. The problem we have is we don't even have a basic starting lineup on either line that is going to take us to the playoffs. You start building the great teams from the trenches.

A few players this season have the potential to drastically change perception of the Bills' 2010 draft. Imagine if Troup is actually healthy and plays, Carrington continues his progression, Moats thrives in the new defense, and Easley finally "gets it?"

Those who rightfully criticize Nix's first draft might have to do some re-thinking...

Hey, we can hope. At the end of the day, though, I believe we'll be thankful for CJ and Carrington, but Moats' career will be defined by his hit on Favre and I'm not expecting anything from Troup and Easley at this point.

I likke the guy. Hope he sees a lot more playing time this year. I'm hoping Williams and Dareus rebound from a less than stellar year last year and the Kyle Williams has full recovery. I loved the Bills defensive line when they had day, sestak, dunaway, mcdole and three or four other d-lineman who would have started almost anywhere else. You really need six or seven guys who can start to have a powerful defensive line. The same goes for the offensive line. The problem we have is we don't even have a basic starting lineup on either line that is going to take us to the playoffs. You start building the great teams from the trenches.

You make some very good points.

You make some very good points.

:lol:

Buffalo has the ingredients for a solid if not stellar D-line; Williams, Darius, Carrington, Branch, 100 mil $ Williams, and possibly Troup. It's the O-line that has me concerned. Regarding Carrington, is that 2010 Buddy Nix draft looking pretty good or what?

BTW, where in Tennessee do you live? I'm 30 minutes south of Knoxville.

Buffalo has the ingredients for a solid if not stellar D-line; Williams, Darius, Carrington, Branch, 100 mil $ Williams, and possibly Troup. It's the O-line that has me concerned. Regarding Carrington, is that 2010 Buddy Nix draft looking pretty good or what?

BTW, where in Tennessee do you live? I'm 30 minutes south of Knoxville.

Could you speak up please?

great fun postings .

Carrington has played every position at some point and must have a purty good understanding of what the front seven need to do as a team to succeed. Thats an asset mentally. An moreso for his coaches i bet.

I read the article earlier today at work and was surprised how effective he was when lined up at the tackle position . Pleasantly surprised. I would guess he is coming into his own as tackle who can still work as a 3-4 DE and be effective.

I like the kid a ton. But i am a fan and can see alot of potential this year for the line and linebackers this season and further on down the road.

Carrington fan club ? Why sure i would like to join !

Go Bills

Carrington is a strong interior pass rusher but has been weak vs the run. He has a role that he is good at but I don't think I'd crown a situational player as some kind of star.

Edited by vincec

He is faster???????????????

Sure! Haven't you ever heard of teaching speed? Me neither..

I'm on board as a Carrington fan, but HOW can he be our Secret Superstar when there's public articles and Internet threads devoted to him?

I'm afraid the secret ain't a secret no mo'.