EJ says this offense is easier than Florida State's ...

First it was Geno, now EJ that was asked to read only one side of the field. I don't know what pinhead talking dork came up with that one, but it's total bullschit. No coach that I've ever heard of would deliberately handcuff his QB and the rest of his offense by taking half the field away. Talk about making it easy on a defense!

GO BILLS!!!

Here's a way K-9 that some coaches teach it. http://smartfootball.com/passing/how-to-use-backside-tags-to-attack-the-entire-field-in-the-passing-game

Tedford at Cal for instance was notorious for doing so, as well as having his QB carry the ball in a way that got the ball out quick with those reads, but were not as helpful because of it's funky nature in NFL.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First it was Geno, now EJ that was asked to read only one side of the field. I don't know what pinhead talking dork came up with that one, but it's total bullschit. No coach that I've ever heard of would deliberately handcuff his QB and the rest of his offense by taking half the field away. Talk about making it easy on a defense!

GO BILLS!!!

It's only because they forced him to wear an eye patch...

It's easy to understand and learn an offense. It's a whole nother thing to stand there and understand what's on the other side of you. I don't care if he picked this offense up easily or thinks its easy. Doesn't really mean much until he shows he can diagnose and decipher an NFL caliber defense.

Here's a way K-9 that some coaches teach it. http://smartfootball...he-passing-game

Tedford at Cal for instance was notorious for doing so, as well as having his QB carry the ball in a way that got the ball out quick with those reads, but were not as helpful because of it's funky nature in NFL.

Nice read. Thanks for the link. He really reinforces the notion that you have to make the defense defend the entire field. And you can only do that by making sure the QB understands he has the entire field in his arsenal.

GO BILLS!!!

The offense Tom Brady runs is simple. It's just been impossible to defend most of the time.

Simple or complex..it requires execution. The Patriots can execute their offense with nearly flawless precision. If you only have one play and nobody can stop it who cares that you only have one play?

GO BILLS!!!

EJ said it himself and its been mentioned many times about what coaches at FSU ask oftheir QBs

Here's a way K-9 that some coaches teach it. http://smartfootball...he-passing-game

Great read, LynchMob23, thanks for posting!

EJ said it himself and its been mentioned many times about what coaches at FSU ask oftheir QBs

I'm not necessarily doubting you, but I'd be interested in seeing any article anywhere that quotes the FSU coaches as instructing their QBs to read only half the field. The entire concept of using half the field goes against every tenet of offensive football. Particularly as it relates to QBs and the passing game. I just don't buy it.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not necessarily doubting you, but I'd be interested in seeing any article anywhere that quotes the FSU coaches as instructing their QBs to read only half the field. The entire concept of using half the field goes against every tenet of offensive football. Particularly as it relates to QBs and the passing game. I just don't buy it.

GO BILLS!!!

Buddy addresses this at some level in this interview here. He claims that EJ did exactly what his coaches instructed him to do... http://podcast.wgr550.com/wgr2/3973220.mp3?rhidownloadlink=true

GO BILLS!!!

On some level it's a college thing - read 1, a secondary read in the same area so its easy to find and you are aware of the nearby defenders, then run or hit your athletic guy as a checkdown.

When college qbs often only last 1 successful season, and you often have pure athletic mismatches at a couple places that you don't see at the pro level it's a way to get qbs to be efficient in what they are asked instead of having that 10 year vet that knows every play inside and out- in college your almost always starting a rookie essentially, and you wouldn't expect the world out of a rookie. Many max out at 20 or so games worth of live bullets. I know some get more but the turnover is so high when a guys are good and the let downs are so limited in what they can do in the passing game that you design your offense around recruiting 1 guy in the backfield that can always turn a bad play into something with the ball in his hands and you get to that option ASAP in progressions.

Edited by NoSaint

GO BILLS!!!

Here's a little of it K-9 - apologies if this was posted already - http://www.tomahawknation.com/2012/11/2/3586954/florida-state-jimbo-football-passing-concept

Particularly routes like "NCAA" are what I'm personally referring to as "half field reads". Once the QB figures out where the weak side safety is pre-snap, the ball is going to the side away from him and the reads begin post snap there.

Also, here's EJ from the Gruden Camp talking about some of his responsibilities to run sight adjusts within plays as well as where to read on X play -

Anybody else notice that since his statement hit the airwaves that he's been getting a "sprinkling" of reps between Kolb and Jackson? :ph34r:

"The quarterback rotation hasn’t changed all that much. The majority of the reps continue to flip flop between

Tarvaris Jacksonicon-article-link.gif and Kevin Kolbicon-article-link.gif. EJ Manuelicon-article-link.gif is then sprinkled in for some reps at the end of certain team segments."

:huh:

Exactly.

Well, EJ definitely has a guaranteed spot on the roster. Could be Coach needs to make a decision quickly on the other two - which one will stay. Tuel should make it to the PS. It's doubtful any other team would pick him up from there, seeing as he went undrafted. But I found it funny that after the noise about the new system being "easy" that Coach essentially sat him down... somewhat.

IMO, it's all about the audible. If a QB can recognize what the defense is going to do and audible into the right play call/hot route, then who cares how simple the offense is.

Chan wouldn't let his QBs audible in the game.

Here's a little of it K-9 - apologies if this was posted already - http://www.tomahawkn...passing-concept

Particularly routes like "NCAA" are what I'm personally referring to as "half field reads". Once the QB figures out where the weak side safety is pre-snap, the ball is going to the side away from him and the reads begin post snap there.

Also, here's EJ from the Gruden Camp talking about some of his responsibilities to run sight adjusts within plays as well as where to read on X play -

I appreciate the additional info and I think I know where the confusion may lie for some people. Suffice to say, there is a big difference between incorporating passing plays with no backside progressions into your playbook vs. instructing a QB to read only half the field. And if your QB has more success running those kinds of plays, then it makes sense to stick with it. But too many people took the exception here and tried to make it the rule.

GO BILLS!!!