Anyone else afraid of EJ's running style?

Also, Vick is much, much smaller. I'd worry if he was immobile and couldn't escape the pocket too. It's football and there are a ton of injuries. Yes, he needs to be smart but he also needs to be a player that makes plays too. One of the major things that disappointed me about Losman and Fitz was they were mobile, but didn't use it enough. Hopefully Manuel can progress in the rodgers' vein.

I didn't mean size. I meant that a lot of time when Vick runs, he's holding the ball in one hand in lieu of tucking it like a running back. If you go back and look at Florida State game tape, EJ was doing similar there. You might get away with that in college, but not in the pros.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mean size. I meant that a lot of time when Vick runs, he's holding the ball in one hand in lieu of tucking it like a running back. If you go back and look at Florida State game tape, EJ was doing similar there. You might get away with that in college, but not in the pros.

This is true. EJ needs to fix that.

On the plus side I think the points about Michael Vick and RGIII being small (and therefore more injury-prone) and Kaepernick and Cam Newton and EJ being big (therefore less injury-prone) have a lot of validity to them.

On the plus side I think the points about Michael Vick and RGIII being small (and therefore more injury-prone) and Kaepernick and Cam Newton and EJ being big (therefore less injury-prone) have a lot of validity to them.

While I don't disagree on the size point, I still believe that he has to be a judicious runner when he does choose to run. Vick and RG3 are really kind of reckless when they run because they're always looking for the homerun play. I would rather see him play like Kaepernick. Get the yards you can and then get down or get out of bounds. Don't take more contact than you need to. Manuel was a little more on the reckless side in college, so I would like to see that reeled in from a coaching perspective.

Watching tape, he's not afraid to tuck it in and run even though he states he's a passer first. My first notion when he was drafted is that we have a duel threat guy. Thinking about it now, we have a college coach and a college OC, I hope that we don't pull a RG3 with him and expect him to run to make his plays. Running should be a last resort IMO, Rolling out is a different story, i hope we see a pocket first, roll out second, run last approach. If he has to run make it on short situations when we have to gain 1-3 yards. The linebackers and DB's are too quick to close in the NFL and i hope Marrone can keep Hackett informed on that to not expose EJ to injury. He is a great runner don't get me wrong but his tall frame leaves a lot exposed mid section down.

Actually, from the videos I'VE seen, when he decides to run he always looks to avoid contact...

Gotcha. Well if you notice that, I'd hope our coaches will as well. But I do think one of the major things to like about Manuel is there is a lot of room for him to be coached up.

I guess people see different things when they watch him...I see

- A guy who runs when he is flushed....and trust me that is what you want. You don't want your QB Michael Vicking all over the place taking hits no matter how big he is.....When his protection broke down he was on the move

- He appears to have a real strength throwing on the run....which means a. When things break down he is at his most deady and b. You can use a "moving pocket" with him and he will still maintain his accuracy.....his mechanics are very sound when throwing on the run and he always has the ball in the cocked position.

The only thing I worry about his how he holds the ball like a loaf of bread and ball security....his paws are so big he has never had to work on this part of his game.

I watched his high light film and he runs yes, but he slides if he thinks he is going to take a big hit.

This is what i was going to post. In the 'EJ's arm' thread and video, I noticed and mentioned there, he always slides to avoid the hit, even at the goal line when he could score if he took the hit. That is smart and unselfish.

The thing I can't wrap my head around, is all the 'he doesn't have it up stairs' talk from before and just after the draft. Those 'scouts' must have mixed their QB notes up....

Thinking about it now, we have a college coach and a college OC, I hope that we don't pull a RG3 with him and expect him to run to make his plays.

Besides the points that others have made, I'd like to point out that characterizing Marrone and Hackett as "college coaches" is not neccesarily accurate. They have both spent time around the NFL game to the point where I believe they are able to understand that not everything they did in college will work in the pro game. I am hopeful that they will adjust accordingly.

This is what i was going to post. In the 'EJ's arm' thread and video, I noticed and mentioned there, he always slides to avoid the hit, even at the goal line when he could score if he took the hit. That is smart and unselfish.

Be aware that there are also highlights of EJ "selling out" head-first to get into the end zone.

According to one advanced stat, Manuel completed 70% of his passes when flushed from the pocket.

One of the reasons he ran a lot in college is because he was in a two-read offense. He was instructed to run if both reads were covered.

him being in a two read offense makes me more concerned than being a runner.

Well if you need something to be concerned about, that is your prerogative.

I would suggest you review some of the comments from coaches who had white board sessions with him and also the fact that of all the QBs on the Senior Bowl South Team, EJ was the one who picked up the Detroit Lions offense and executed it.

Speaking of the Senior Bowl how awesome is it that his teammates voted him a team captain before the game?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Be aware that there are also highlights of EJ "selling out" head-first to get into the end zone.

Understood, but when a lot of these running QB's come out, there is always talk of them needing to learn to slide.

As mentioned earlier, Vick and RG3 are reckless runners.

Also, I want him to sell out some times.

I agree with this. I think bigger is better, in this case (well, outside Wilson, I guess).

He's no John Skleton. :w00t:

But seriously, you loved Tannehill. Manuel actually outpeformed Tannehill (better completion %, ypa, td to in ratio) despite the fact RT played in a pass first offense. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ryan-tannehill-1.html

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/380849/ej-manuel

Yet, in your opinion, Tannehill was well worth a 1st round pick and Manuel isn't. Please explain.

Well if you need something to be concerned about, that is your prerogative.

I would suggest you review some of the comments from coaches who had white board sessions with him and also the fact that of all the QBs on the Senior Bowl South Team, EJ was the one who picked up the Detroit Lions offense and executed it.

Speaking of the Senior Bowl how awesome is it that his teammates voted him a team captain before the game?

I loved Manuel's size, arm strength, speed, intelligence, toughness, and character, but those things (picking-up and doing well in the Lions' system and being named captain) are what sold me on him. It told me he's not just a half-field/2 read guy and that he is, as Whaley put it, "a leader of men."

Understood, but when a lot of these running QB's come out, there is always talk of them needing to learn to slide.

As mentioned earlier, Vick and RG3 are reckless runners.

Also, I want him to sell out some times.

I don't think he avoids contact at all costs. But it's a double-edged sword. You'd like your QB to be a tough guy and "sellout" for the tough yards, but that exposes him to injury +/- turnovers.

And he'll have to learn to tuck the ball away when he's scrambling. There are no two ways about it.

Edited by Doc