EJ's Florida Game Lucky for Bills?

Yes, proven...apparently by the following FBS defensive rankings:

Baylor - 113th

Iowa State - 87th

Kansas - 118th

Kansas State - 28th (downright impressive)

Oklahoma - 50th

Okla State - 64th

TCU - 30th

Texas - 74th

Texas Tech - 92nd

West Virginia - 117th

Seriously man...nobody's arguing that the ACC is a defensive power, but come on

As I said, if all 3 of those guys are first or second round picks, then apparently NFL talent evaluators will have felt that FSU's offensive talent is equal to that of Baylor's (according to their numbers, not mine). Until then, it's not looking so good for your argument.

Also, I'm dying to know how using stats to support a stance is unacceptable to you, but using Athlon Sports pre-season WR rankings is reasonable?

Miami was 120, BC was in the 100's and so was Duke. See how that works. Isn't it weird that there are so many Big East teams had top 20 defenses yet when they play out of conference they get slaughtered. You don't understand context in CFB. It's a different animal and it's not apples to apples like NFL is. Maryland at 21 is a perfect example. The 3 best offenses they faced put up 40 + on them the last 3 games of the season. But they finished ranked 21! :lol:

I used Athlon because you and others said FSU doesn't have talent offensively. They were ranked that high because they have a ton of talent. Simple as that.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good lord really? Do we want to go back to that same draft and look at who you fell in love with? You wanted Dan Lefevour in the second. At least Clausen is still on a team. :lol:

Actually why don't we go back over every one of your posts and count the millions of ways you were wrong. You've been saying 10 wins per season for the last 5 years...those who live in glass houses. Ballsy to be so ignorant.

Sorry, but you have gone on and on about how much you know, and that is how you can be so certain about Manuel. Understand that it is your tone of certainty, which comes off as a little arrogant, that most posters on this board have taken issue with - not your opinion. You brought up other QBs (that have turned out to be failures) that you also did not like when they were drafted - just to bolster your credibility. Don't deflect now that you have been called out on a QB you were clearly wrong about. Your opinion of Clausen only shows what you should already know: when it comes to the draft, you, nor anyone else, has any idea which draft picks will flourish and which ones will be looking for new employment within a year.

No, I said that he had 4 WRs that could start for ALMOST any team in the country. Not sure what you're reading. Maybe jumped the gun on that one.

Read the link too. Make sure you pay attention to the college articles about the best WR corps this year. I bet FSU is in the top 3 but they have no talent. I really don't think you understand how much talent they have and get year after year. They have been in the top 5 3 years that EJs been there. Seriously, you're out of your element Donny.

I deleted the post because it really wasn't fair to say all four would beat out every other receiver. Still the point remains. It's still the most ridiculous post I have ever seen. All four could start on almost any team. None, or one, of the four would likely start on several teams.

Maybe because they're young? The Wrs were Sophs and Jrs. CB, it really shows how little you know about CFB but I'd expect that from a D3 player. :w00t:

They're old enough to start on almost every team in the country!!!

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Maybe because they're young? The Wrs were Sophs and Jrs. CB, it really shows how little you know about CFB but I'd expect that from a D3 player. :w00t:

LOL! In the context of what you're arguing, the fact that they were young (implied: not as good as they could be) helps make the case that EJ's receivers weren't that good...WHEN HE WAS THEIR QUARTERBACK. They might eventually the four greatest receivers to ever play football...but they weren't during Manuel's tenure. Period. Case closed, you made everyone's point for them. Nicely done.

LOL! In the context of what you're arguing, the fact that they were young (implied: not as good as they could be) helps make the case that EJ's receivers weren't that good...WHEN HE WAS THEIR QUARTERBACK. They might eventually the four greatest receivers to ever play football...but they weren't during Manuel's tenure. Period. Case closed, you made everyone's point for them. Nicely done.

FSU had 4 Wrs go for over 500 yds in a non passing offense. How is that bad? It shows that FSU has a ton of depth. I'm sure none of it had to do with Lord EJ.

Good god this is hilarious.

At-best, Rashad Greene might be a #2 or #3 in another major program. None of the other guys would crack top-4.

Rashard Greene maybe a 2 or 3? I'm done. You really don't know what you're talking about.

FSU had 4 Wrs go for over 500 yds in a non passing offense. How is that bad? It shows that FSU has a ton of depth. I'm sure none of it had to do with Lord EJ.

They played 14 games. That's about 36 yards a game. If you take out Savannah State, it's about -3 yards a game. ;)

And they had three. Two guys with just over 500, and one guy with just under 500.

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2012-2013/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

Miami was 120, BC was in the 100's and so was Duke. See how that works. Isn't it weird that there are so many Big East teams had top 20 defenses yet when they play out of conference they get slaughtered. You don't understand context in CFB. It's a different animal and it's not apples to apples like NFL is. Maryland at 21 is a perfect example. The 3 best offenses they faced put up 40 + on them the last 3 games of the season. But they finished ranked 21! :lol:

I used Athlon because you and others said FSU doesn't have talent offensively. They were ranked that high because they have a ton of talent. Simple as that.

Talk about missing the point.

You want to ignore the #s that don't agree with your point, but post some random website's opinion as support for it...how can you not see how ridiculous that is?

Rashard Greene maybe a 2 or 3? I'm done. You really don't know what you're talking about.

I see, so the WRs get the credit for their #s but EJ doesn't? Gotcha.

They played 14 games. That's about 36 yards a game. If you take out Savannah State, it's about -3 yards a game. ;)

And they had three. Two guys with just over 500, and one guy with just under 500.

http://www.seminoles...e.html#TEAM.IND

I was just about to post that very response...

Step one: collect underpants...

So is that bad for a team that rushed for almost 3000 yds? This isn't a spread team. Not that you know that. See Andrew Luck.

http://www.seminoles...e.html#TEAM.IND

Well you're completely wrong. But I'm sure you'll come back with something brilliant.

NAME REC YDS AVG LONG TD Rashad Greene 57 741 13.0 71 (TD) 6 Kenny Shaw 33 532 16.1 77 (TD) 3 Rodney Smith 38 524 13.8 61 (TD) 3 Kelvin Benjamin 30 495 16.5 64 4

Rashad Greene was the #1 receiver on the Seminoles. He caught 57 passes for 741 yards and 6 TD's. That was tied for 97th in the country. I think I might have been overly generous thinking he'd be a #2 on another team.

So is that bad for a team that rushed for almost 3000 yds? This isn't a spread team. Not that you know that. See Andrew Luck.

Well you're completely wrong. But I'm sure you'll come back with something brilliant.

NAME REC YDS AVG LONG TD Rashad Greene 57 741 13.0 71 (TD) 6 Kenny Shaw 33 532 16.1 77 (TD) 3 Rodney Smith 38 524 13.8 61 (TD) 3 Kelvin Benjamin 30 495 16.5 64 4

No, I was precisely right. There were only three players over 500 yards. You said there were four. I said two of them were just over 500, that was Shaw and Smith, at 532 and 524, and one of them, was just under 500, which was Benjamin at 495. Are you so bad at this that you link stats to back up my point? That's hilarious.

I even linked the stats in my post.

No, I was precisely right. There were only three players over 500 yards. You said there were four. I said two of them were just over 500, that was Shaw and Smith, at 532 and 524, and one of them, was just under 500, which was Benjamin at 495. Are you so bad at this that you link stats to back up my point? That's hilarious.

I think it's time for me to move on from this thread...there's only so many times you can make the same point without it sticking.

Really? I rounded up 5 yards and that's your brilliant point? Well you got me! I guess You gotta cling to something because it's clear that you and most in this thread watch college football on you tube after the draft is over.

I can't wait to revisit this thread.

Really? I rounded up 5 yards and that's your brilliant point? Well you got me! I guess You gotta cling to something because it's clear that you and most in this thread watch college football on you tube after the draft is over.

We can revisit it next year when no FSU WRs get drafted...again. Unless Greene comes out early, in which case he'll likely go in the 3rd-4th round.

And what point will that prove? Even if they turn out well, they weren't that good when EJ was there.

It wasn't a brilliant point. It was a simple point after you said "You're completely wrong" and then posted stats proving I was "completely right."

I wasn't making any statements on how good the FSU WRs were at all, outside of the most foolish point ever that all four of them could start on almost any team in the country. Benjamin and Greene have a lot of talent.

Not to mention that two of the six guys that your link mentioned as being "loaded" caught three passes for about 33 yards each over the entire 14 game season.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

And what point will that prove? Even if they turn out well, they weren't that good when EJ was there.

It's like saying Calvin Johnson was the same player as a sophomore as he was as a junior. Not even close.

Getting back to the original premise of this thread...I think it's fair to say if EJ turns into the QB we all hope, we can certainly look back at the Florida tape and thank the Gators for whooping up on FSU so the 3-4 teams in front of us who could have pulled the trigger on EJ had second thoughts.

And FWIW, EJ didn't look "terrible" in this game if you ask me; he made a few mistakes, but he also made some plays and his defense completely let him down. If you're a "top" defense you don't give up nearly 400 yards at home.

Ummm...

Your research does show that I said he is incompent. So I stand corrected. Even with the correction (I appreciate the research) my position on him still stands that he as a GM is very ineffective. Am I being harsh in my judgment on him? Absolutely. However, I don't consider my assessment of his performance as being unfair. He is the person who is responsible for the drafts, free agency, HC hires, contracts etc. I'm aware that running a football operation is a collaborative effort. But he is the one who ultimately makes the decisions and signs off.

What intensifies my view of him as a GM is that he followed the Levy/Brandon era. He had to clean up three years of poor decisons. After another three years of his stewardship how much more is the roster advanced and how much more could it have been advanced with someone more accomplished running the football operation?

As I pointed out in the prior post during the same three year period GMs for the Redskins and Seahawks dramatically changed the fortunes of their franchises while the Bills continued on with their legacy of mediocrity. Who is most responsible?

Clearly you are irritiated with the repetitive nature of the Nix criticism. There is a good reason why he is the focus of my attention: He is the most influential person in this long-term struggling franchise. If he isn't the most responsible person then who is? If you consider my posting trolling then you are entitled to your opinion.

Haha. Dude, you had as much chance to go pro as I did. Do you really wanna compare what schools we graduated from?

Just take your medicine & send me my beer. Sorry, your pimping of Clausen definitely clouds your judgement as a qb expert. Btw, I don't think I've seen one person claim that Manuel was a sure fire star qb.

Clearly you are irritiated with the repetitive nature of the Nix criticism. There is a good reason why he is the focus of my attention: He is the most influential person in this long-term struggling franchise. If he isn't the most responsible person then who is?

Have you looked in the Gross Pointe telephone directory for the answer?

Here's a few notes, addressed at the ridiculous arguments of both JohnC's.

Regarding WR talent: The WR corps is in the midst of a renaissance. In 2011, they struggled with drops, and had lots of young players on the roster. The senior leaders were decent college players, but not great. Burt Reed was a UDFA last year, and Rodney Smith was a UDFA this year. The talent is really starting to blossom, with, Rashard Green leading the way. He should be a high draft pick in a year or 2 when he declares. There's other young talent that has played well at times too. The corps improved quite a bit from 2011-2012, but should improve much more this season. The TE position is largely unimpactful in the passing game. The WRs have a chance to be very good, but EJ will have gotten to play with them when they were young and ascending, not at their best.

And John, if you are such a wealth of college football knowledge, you'd know full well that star rankings for recruits usually mean very little in the grand scheme of things. Ranking HS players is an even bigger crap shoot than ranking college guys for the draft.

Regarding the "basically a 4 year starter" comments: This is a lie and is patently false. EJ started 4 games as a freshman and 3 as a sophomore, both in place of an injured Christian Ponder, before starting 25 in his final 2 years. So he got half a season's worth of starts spread over his first 2 seasons. That's most definitely not "basically a 4 year starter."

Regarding the NC St game: Jimbo Fisher has since come out and put the blame on himself for losing that game, faulting his ultra-conservative play-calling in the second half. EJ didn't play great, but Jimbo spent the second half playing run-run-pass-punt and trying to sit on the lead. You can't "lead your team to a win" when the coach refuses to call your normal offense. Also of note: Jimbo refused to let Hopkins try a 51 yarder that would have made the score 19-10 in the 4th. The offense allowed a blocked punt which gave NC St the ball on our 35 to set up the game winning drive. The defense allowed 3 4th down conversions on the final scoring drive for NC St.

Edited by Ramius

Have you looked in the Gross Pointe telephone directory for the answer?

The owner is not involved in the operation any longer. If you think I have not been critical of the owner in the past you are very mistaken.

What do you specifically disagree with regarding my position that Nix has done a poor job as a GM in his first three years?

Regarding WR talent: The WR corps is in the midst of a renaissance. In 2011, they struggled with drops, and had lots of young players on the roster. The senior leaders were decent college players, but not great. Burt Reed was a UDFA last year, and Rodney Smith was a UDFA this year. The talent is really starting to blossom, with, Rashard Green leading the way. He should be a high draft pick in a year or 2 when he declares. There's other young talent that has played well at times too. The corps improved quite a bit from 2011-2012, but should improve much more this season. The TE position is largely unimpactful in the passing game. The WRs have a chance to be very good, but EJ will have gotten to play with them when they were young and ascending, not at their best.

And John, if you are such a wealth of college football knowledge, you'd know full well that star rankings for recruits usually mean very little in the grand scheme of things. Ranking HS players is an even bigger crap shoot than ranking college guys for the draft.

Regarding the "basically a 4 year starter" comments: This is a lie and is patently false. EJ started 4 games as a freshman and 3 as a sophomore, both in place of an injured Christian Ponder, before starting 25 in his final 2 years. So he got half a season's worth of starts spread over his first 3 seasons. That's most definitely not "basically a 4 year starter."

Regarding the NC St game: Jimbo Fisher has since come out and put the blame on himself for losing that game, faulting his ultra-conservative play-calling in the second half. EJ didn't play great, but Jimbo spent the second half playing run-run-pass-punt and trying to sit on the lead. You can't "lead your team to a win" when the coach refuses to call your normal offense. Also of note: Jimbo refused to let Hopkins try a 51 yarder that would have made the score 19-10 in the 4th. The offense allowed a blocked punt which gave NC St the ball on our 35 to set up the game winning drive. The defense allowed 3 4th down conversions on the final scoring drive for NC St.

Reading the play-by-plays of several games, it seemed like pass-run-run-punt happened a lot.

The owner is not involved in the operation any longer. If you think I have not been critical of the owner in the past you are very mistaken.

Considering you named Nix for the long term struggles of the franchise, the blame is higher than him. In a nutshell, how did Nix get the job he wasn't qualified for in the first place?

Seems non-sensical to use WR statistics at FSU to argue that Manuel either is or is not a good QB, or will or will not succeed in the NFL. If the receivers put up great numbers, wouldn't that be in large part because they had a good QB getting them the ball? And if they put up lousy numbers would that be in large part because their QB could not get them the ball? Or were they just not very talented in the first place? It's impossible to say and it is really a circular argument, by both of you.

Seems non-sensical to use WR statistics at FSU to argue that Manuel either is or is not a good QB, or will or will not succeed in the NFL. If the receivers put up great numbers, wouldn't that be in large part because they had a good QB getting them the ball? And if they put up lousy numbers would that be in large part because their QB could not get them the ball? Or were they just not very talented in the first place? It's impossible to say and it is really a circular argument, by both of you.

If Manuel had a poor completion percentage, you could reasonably make the argument that it was his fault the WRs didn't produce more. With a 68% completion rate and especially an 8.8 YPA, it argues more that the WRs were more of the problem.

Agreed. If you noticed, I wasn't ever really saying if they were good or bad, I was simply refuting facts, and laughing at ludicrous statements like all four starters could start on almost any team in the country.

If Manuel had a poor completion percentage, you could reasonably make the argument that it was his fault the WRs didn't produce more. With a 68% completion rate and especially an 8.8 YPA, it argues more that the WRs were more of the problem.

Very possible. One of the problems I have is that college statistics can be very misleading. Unlike in the NFL, teams around the country play schedules in which the talent level of their opponents can vary drastically. They might play in a poor conference, or a player might run up massive numbers in games against Div. 1 AA opponents. Except for the Florida game, I did not see FSU play last year. Given the school's historical recruiting record (and location), though, it's hard for me to believe that EJ was throwing to sub-standard receivers the past two years. Anything is possible, I suppose. There are a number of dedicated FSU followers on this board who saw EJ play extensively these past 4 years. I would put more faith in their opinions than I would the bare statistics.

Edited by mannc

Very possible. One of the problems I have is that college statistics can be very misleading. Unlike in the NFL, teams around the country play schedules in which the talent level of their opponents can vary drastically. They might play in a poor conference, or a player might run up massive numbers in games against Div. 1 AA opponents. Except for the Florida game, I did not see FSU play last year. Given the school's historical recruiting record (and location), though, it's hard for me to believe that EJ was throwing to sub-standard receivers the past two years. Anything is possible, I suppose. There are a number of dedicated FSU followers on this board who saw EJ play extensively these past 4 years. I would put more faith in their opinions than I would the bare statistics.

It seems that FSU fans put more stock in the Rivals.com high school rankings of their WRs than their actual production, or things like the inconsistent play of their OL, curious play-calling, lack of a TE, and their defense's epic fail against Florida. If you were to ask NFL teams if any WR on FSU was draft-worthy last year, the only guy whose name you'd hear is Greene, and at-best in the middle-rounds given his youth and inexperience. As I and others have said, FSU's WRs could be a great group...in time. But if the best you can come up with is "well, they're mostly 4- and 5-star recruits," then...

Haha. Dude, you had as much chance to go pro as I did. Do you really wanna compare what schools we graduated from?

Just take your medicine & send me my beer. Sorry, your pimping of Clausen definitely clouds your judgement as a qb expert. Btw, I don't think I've seen one person claim that Manuel was a sure fire star qb.

Well your school did cancel it's football program which is pretty sad. That's a tough one to overcome. UB is not terrible academically but BU is the real deal so you win there.

Your pimping of Dan LeFevour is much worse. Almost as bad as your self accountability.

I tried sending you your beer BTW. I never got a reply. PM me. Btw, do you really want to drink all that beer? I imagine you're pretty chubby and it's bathing suit season. :devil:

Regarding the "basically a 4 year starter" comments: This is a lie and is patently false. EJ started 4 games as a freshman and 3 as a sophomore, both in place of an injured Christian Ponder, before starting 25 in his final 2 years. So he got half a season's worth of starts spread over his first 3 seasons. That's most definitely not "basically a 4 year starter."

Recruiting rankings mean very little? Guess who's had the # 1 or 2 class nationally the 5 years. Bama.

Here some analysis. Man are you wrong. Don't worry though, you have company on this thread.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21641769

I do think there is a HUGE difference between Florida 3 stars and every other states 3 stars for sure. But come on, LSU, UF, OU, FSU and so many more are at the top of recruiting rankings and polls. It's undeniable.

Did you expect Jimbo to throw EJ under the bus? Actually Jimbo threw the whole team under the bus after that game.

Edited by John Cocktosten