Tyler Bray's father has some choice words

You guys are being hard on Mr. Bray. What did you expect him to say?? I didn't think it was jerky at all.

I would expect Tyler's father to shut his mouth and not say anything to the media at all, regardless of how he feels. I don't blame the guy for feeling like he does (most parents would be equally frustrated), but why is talking to a radio station and providing quotes that could be used in a national internet article?

By the way, he's not really helping his son's case regarding people questioning Tyler's maturity when he's the one talking to media and not Tyler.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Steelers telling Bray that they were going to draft him was only a smokescreen to get Landry Jones' dad on board.

Bray's best bet is by far at KC anyway, They have a shaky starter and crappy back-up and a head coach not afraid to pull a QB. He'll make the 400K or so that is the minimum this year and continue to be an overly cocky project.

This assumes he makes the team. Most UDFA's don't (being an imature tool won't help him), so the 400k is not guaranteed.

This assumes he makes the team. Most UDFA's don't (being an imature tool won't help him), so the 400k is not guaranteed.

Agreed. They just have the worst QB situation in the league though, IMO, and it's by far the best place for him to go and the best chance to make the team. I wouldn't have thought it was really possible before the draft, but he could even land on the practice squad and not be a real threat to be picked up.

Agreed. They just have the worst QB situation in the league though, IMO, and it's by far the best place for him to go and the best chance to make the team. I wouldn't have thought it was really possible before the draft, but he could even land on the practice squad and not be a real threat to be picked up.

True. As a 3rd string UDFA he's not only competeing against QBs in camp but other late august QB cuts.He's probably in the best summer training camp but it's not a given.

I watched Bray through his time at Tennessee and was surprised he was being talked up as much as he was. He had two possible pro bowl receivers and never did amount to much in the win/loss column over time. Maybe he will grow into a mature leader, but he didn't show much of it in college. That being said because of his physical talents I'd have been interested in him in free agency or in the last round of the draft. He must have really shown some low-life behavior to not get ANY nibbles.

I'm still blown away by the support Bray has around here. He can't read defenses! He made more mind boggling throws than any other QB I watched last year. Yes, his arm is a cannon, but it's a wild cannon that has no apparent football intelligence. Like you said, his receivers were excellent, probably better than any other WR group in college outside of USC, and he was average with them.

Maybe the GMs of the NFL are finally getting smarter -- this year is replete with evidence of guys falling farther down the board (or out of the draft completely) because of concerns about leadership, character, smarts...

And then conversely, a relatively under-the-radar guy like Manuel shoots up because he wows the Bills with all of the above (and the physical tools don't hurt).

I agree with you that leadership, character and football IQ count.

But I'm not sure anyone's stock went up or down. I think it's more the case that Kiper and McShay were wrong.

Kiper and McShay don't evaluate players the same way professionals do. They don't study the game tape of every game played. They don't typically interview the players or coaches. They don't have the resources to analyze potential draft picks that NFL clubs have.

I doubt if NFL scouts ever rated Tyler Bray as high as some of the draftniks.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Kiper and McShay don't evaluate players the same way professionals do. They don't study the game tape of every game played. They don't typically interview the players or coaches. They don't have the resources to analyze potential draft picks that NFL clubs have.

Agreed. Plus, as far as grading goes, they take players simply for how they played in college and how they project in the pros, and give very little credence to the schemes of the teams they are drafted into. That's why they will criticize a Kiko versus Arthur Brown pick, although it seems pretty evident that Kiko and his skills fit what the Bills want to do a little more than Brown does. In their grading, they don't account for that.

You guys are being hard on Mr. Bray. What did you expect him to say?? I didn't think it was jerky at all.

Seriously. I'm supposed to be outraged that a father doesn't see his son's faults?

The worst in the league?? Paging Jacksonville, paging Jacksonville ...

Seriously, you and I must have seriously different opinions of Alex Smith, who I regard as "solid to pretty good."

The worst in the league?? Paging Jacksonville, paging Jacksonville ...

Seriously, you and I must have seriously different opinions of Alex Smith, who I regard as "solid to pretty good."

I think Alex Smith is okay. if you put him on a totally stacked team he can play well. If not, I think he struggles. And I think there is no way he is a long term answer, but just a decent to good stopgap for a couple years. Chase Daniel as your back-up is just horrid. Alex Tanney is their #3.

In Jax, I'm not a big Gabbert fan at all but it's too early to write him off. Chad Henne as a back-up blows Daniel out of the water to me. That was my main point. That there was no #3 and the #2 was not any good, so Bray's ascension to becoming a starter, if that is even possible, was best in KC. Smith is a better starter for sure right now than Gabbert but I don't think he is very good on an average team. The Chiefs have some talent on offense though.

How about "Like any father, I thought my son should have gone number one overall. But we're awfully happy where he finally landed, with a great organization, a top coaching staff and a talented QB to teach Tyler the ropes."

Bray made some of the best throws I've ever seen (absolute bullets into tight windows) he also made some of the worst throws I've ever seen missing open receivers by ten yards or more - one game I watched he had two interceptions and could have easily had eight more if the secondary had better hands - I am surprised he didn't get drafted because he did correct one knock against him by putting on about twenty pounds of good weight going from 210 to 230+.

Seriously. I'm supposed to be outraged that a father doesn't see his son's faults?

Outraged? No. You're supposed to laugh at it. The father can't see the son's faults because the father has the son's faults. He is a loud mouth loser mocking all the other QBs and wondering why nobody wants his kid.

Newsfalsh dad: Either everyone in the NFL is stupid or you and your loser son with his name tattooed on his back are stupid. Let me check Occum's Shaver on that one.

If they are so great why don't they just start the BFL? Bray football league. This guy makes Ryan Leaf look like a good pick.

His father was fine.

Bray actually was better off not getting drafted late, because he could have a some say in where he ended up playing. Now he is with a team that has a coach that is good at developing QB's, and a team that is searching for a good starter.

If Bray has what it takes, he will be in a great spot.

I think Alex Smith is okay. if you put him on a totally stacked team he can play well. If not, I think he struggles. And I think there is no way he is a long term answer, but just a decent to good stopgap for a couple years. Chase Daniel as your back-up is just horrid. Alex Tanney is their #3.

In Jax, I'm not a big Gabbert fan at all but it's too early to write him off. Chad Henne as a back-up blows Daniel out of the water to me. That was my main point. That there was no #3 and the #2 was not any good, so Bray's ascension to becoming a starter, if that is even possible, was best in KC. Smith is a better starter for sure right now than Gabbert but I don't think he is very good on an average team. The Chiefs have some talent on offense though.

I think Gabbert is terrible, and his example actually worries me. That is, the fact that the Jags didn't address QB either this year or last year in the draft makes me think that the Bills won't do it quickly either if Manuel sucks (a real possibility). Some players do improve, but some guys simply suck and the evidence is right there in your face. Gabbert is one of those players.

I think Gabbert is terrible, and his example actually worries me. That is, the fact that the Jags didn't address QB either this year or last year in the draft makes me think that the Bills won't do it quickly either if Manuel sucks (a real possibility). Some players do improve, but some guys simply suck and the evidence is right there in your face. Gabbert is one of those players.

Yeah, that is likely true. And I wouldn't bet a nickel that Gabbert improves into a quality starter. But they also gave him almost two years to prove his sucktitude. If the Bills give EJ two years like that and he plays like Gabbert I have no real worry they will not be looking for another guy at #1. Just because the jags didn't do it doesnt mean anything. Not to mention that they were not going to draft a QB at #2 this year. if this were last year, I think they take RGIII in a heartbeat.

WE SHALL NEVER SURRENDER!!!!!!!

you lost me on that one.

How is it a collassal mistake to get paid 7 figures next year and be learning on an nfl roster? If the kids has it he'll get paid eventually anyway. There's no big rookie deals anymore.

it wont be 7 figures if he is on the practice squad. The higher you get drafted the more you make through out your career even though they don't make as much as before.

Plus he just wasn't ready to come out and could have really improved his game if he stayed in.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

The thing is, they should have known by last year's draft that Gabbert was a problem. They had a chance at RG III and didn't realize that Gabbert was a sunk cost (and probable failure, although they should have been able to figure this out after a year's time). They should have taken RGIII.

Edited by dave mcbride

I would expect Tyler's father to shut his mouth and not say anything to the media at all, regardless of how he feels. I don't blame the guy for feeling like he does (most parents would be equally frustrated), but why is talking to a radio station and providing quotes that could be used in a national internet article?

By the way, he's not really helping his son's case regarding people questioning Tyler's maturity when he's the one talking to media and not Tyler.

I'm sure the media had something to do with him speaking of it. It's not like he held a presser. Someone called him. What did he say that was that bad? He said his son should have been drafted. He did not make an excuse for WHY his son wasn't drafted. He just thought his physical gifts were worth a pick over what immaturity issues Bray had. Stupid thing is....most of you agree with what Mr. Bray said.

That's not my point either. My point is: Mr. Bray was saying the QB's physical talent was worth being drafted, even if he was immature. He was also "amazed" that there crickets during the draft, yet the phone was ringing off the hook to sign him as a FA. If Tyler was such a cancer, why would you bring him in even as a FA?

Comparing Tyler Bray to Ryan Leaf and calling him a loser is immature and ridiculous. People need to get real.