Why isn't the Vikings a racist team name?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowboys and Indians, hmmm

Which I always find funny that those two teams always play on thanksgiving.

I for one am glad they got rid of the devil from the devil rays. I mean, why would you name a team after the actual name of the species only to change it later?

As a northerner, I find the name NY Yankees highly offensive.

I'm offended you call yourself a Northerner.

Are you implying as a Southerner I'm less educated or think slower? No? Regardless I'm offended. Therefore you're being insensitive to my geographic sensibilities.

Further, beware the people who say words like "salient" and such. The intersection of race and political correctness is salient because that is what they are obsessed with today. The fact they don't get that we anti PC folks are anti "This is offensive (race) but this (x,y or z) isn't" is proof to the anti saliency. What if you don't give a flying !@#$ about race?

Logic goes like this.

Anyone vocal who is offended? No? Cool. Yes? Is it race related? No? Don't worry. Yes? It's offensive! You're a racist if you aren't!

Absurd to the core.

I'm offended you call yourself a Northerner.

Are you implying as a Southerner I'm less educated or think slower? No? Regardless I'm offended. Therefore you're being insensitive to my geographic sensibilities.

Further, beware the people who say words like "salient" and such. The intersection of race and political correctness is salient because that is what they are obsessed with today. The fact they don't get that we anti PC folks are anti "This is offensive (race) but this (x,y or z) isn't" is proof to the anti saliency. What if you don't give a flying !@#$ about race?

Logic goes like this.

Anyone vocal who is offended? No? Cool. Yes? Is it race related? No? Don't worry. Yes? It's offensive! You're a racist if you aren't!

Absurd to the core.

You don't even know the difference between affect that is generally used as a verb and effect that's generally used as a noun. WTF should anyone seriously consider your illogical half-witted POV? Answer is that they shouldn't.

Stupid Troll. Damn, I did it even after my note.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You don't even know the difference between affect that is generally used as a verb and effect that's generally used as a noun. WTF should anyone seriously consider your illogical half-witted POV? Answer is that they shouldn't.

Stupid Troll. Damn, I did it even after my no

I'm man enough to admit it is affect, not effect.

Your lack of logic apparently is catching.

I think their !@#$ing awesome! They fly in pack and I can't help but here Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.

I will remember that next time I am in Pella, Iowa... Make it seem more badass! How else can one make tulips and pelicans sound more tough! Oh... Wagner was an anti-semite... :-P

And plundering. I love me some plunder.

PTR

Is "Hagar the Horrible" still in comic print?

Didn't BFLO have a hockey team called: The Norsemen?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The vikings are a quasi-romanticized group of warriors who terrorized northern Europe a millennium ago. They never really suffered any major defeats,

In other words, naming a sports team after terrorists is okay. Next up: the Detroit Hamas.

And why isn't the "Forty Niners" offensive? Most of the forty-niners were adventurers who were exploited by the merchant class and ended up dirt poor. I guess it's okay to offend the poor, then?

Stupid Troll. Damn, I did it even after my note.

note said "not to self" so its OK to keep feeding em :flirt:

Remind me when Viking was last a slur?

Ps there's a huuuuge thread on this already

Good point. Of course, the last time anyone used 'Redskin' as a slur was probably in a John Wayne movie.

Two new additions to my ignore list. Check and goodnight.

You're otherwise a pretty normal guy from what I can tell, but you're a little obsessed with this issue.

Compared to you on this topic, SDS is open to the idea of lasik surgery.