Why isn't the Vikings a racist team name?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing I did not sign up for the draft when I turned 18 causes me to be very offended by the Dodgers.

Being a white English speaking American I'm offended with the Padres

Seeing I know how to actually pronounce with word Celtics I'm offended by the Celtics

Being a rock drummer I'm not actually offended by but frustrated with the Jazz

Being a commoner I'm offened by the Royals

Having a passion for the people of the Caribbean I'm offended by the Pirates

As an alcoholic I'm terribly offended by the Brewers

As one who follows US politics closely I'm offended by the Senators

But for some reason I'm not at all offended by the Canucks.

Good point. Of course, the last time anyone used 'Redskin' as a slur was probably in a John Wayne movie.

You're otherwise a pretty normal guy from what I can tell, but you're a little obsessed with this issue.

Compared to you on this topic, SDS is open to the idea of lasik surgery.

Obsessed would be if I consistently harped on it day after day without regard to any other subject and took every opportunity to introduce into every discussion. I certainly do none of that.

Do I however consider it a cause worthy of serious consideration without the mindless fallback position of calling it political correctness. Yes obviously Particularly irking to me is when people are ignorant of the history of this issue and cannot interject serious commentary on the issue. Instead they fall back on making ridiculous comparisons of other non racial nicknames like cowboy to make a silly point.

Casual racism against the American Indian is an ingrained part of our culture obviously, so many people brush it off as no big deal.

Imagine if there was major competitive Horse Shoes League where instead of using a spike to throw horseshoes at, they used a Crucifix with Jesus Christ on it. Before each completion began, a mock prayer would be said. After the prayer, the Crucifix would be driven into the ground and holy water was sprinkled around it with scantily clad cheerleaders dancing around while consuming bread and wine.

How would that go over in this great Country of ours? Would the protest of such events be considered PC run amok? Lots of people would be rightfully pissed at such desecration.

Imagine if a company produced American Flag toilet paper for people to wipe their cracks on? How would that fly in the USA? If people protested that company…would it be considered PC?

Bottom line is that I believe the Native American people asking to not be denigrated by a racial slur of a nickname for the relatively trivial game a football is not too much to ask IMO.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Seeing I did not sign up for the draft when I turned 18 causes me to be very offended by the Dodgers.

Being a white English speaking American I'm offended with the Padres

Seeing I know how to actually pronounce with word Celtics I'm offended by the Celtics

Being a rock drummer I'm not actually offended by but frustrated with the Jazz

Being a commoner I'm offened by the Royals

Having a passion for the people of the Caribbean I'm offended by the Pirates

As an alcoholic I'm terribly offended by the Brewers

As one who follows US politics closely I'm offended by the Senators

But for some reason I'm not at all offended by the Canucks.

As someone who...well, who exists, I'm offended by the Dolphins.

Imagine if there was major competitive Horse Shoes League where instead of using a spike to throw horseshoes at, they used a Crucifix with Jesus Christ on it. Before the completion began, mock prayer was said before each contest began. After the prayer, the Crucifix would be driven into the ground and holy water was sprinkled around it with scantily clad cheerleaders dancing around.

In Cheektowaga, don't they just call that a lawn fete?

I find it humorous that in this PC society of ours no one has objected to the Fighting Irish complete with a pugnacious leprechaun, most likely inebriated. Change that to any other culture or ethnicity and include the crude caricature and you've got a lawsuit.

I find it humorous that in this PC society of ours no one has objected to the Fighting Irish complete with a pugnacious leprechaun, most likely inebriated. Change that to any other culture or ethnicity and include the crude caricature and you've got a lawsuit.

Because it's not hip or progressive to stick up for the Irish.

Because it's not hip or progressive to stick up for the Irish.

Or Catholics. But more importantly, the Irish aren't a bunch of whining pussies who are going to be 'offended' by a team mascot.

Now I can see where Chief Wahoo from Cleveland is insulting, but the Redskins have a pretty bad-ass logo. I'd wear that with pride if I was an AI.

How have the Saints been left out of this discussion? We need to contact the Vatican

I think they'd be more concerned with the New Jersey Devils.

And has anyone bitched about the Cleveland Indians yet? Or the Cincinnati Reds?

Edited by DC Tom

by the way, there aren't any bears in Chicago.

At one time there were. Really... It is just they disappeared pretty damn quick once Europeans over ran the area. Same with other species. Now, Lions in Detroit might be a stretch becuase they use an African lion as their mascot/nickname. I am sure big cats like pumas inhabited the area very early on. Naming teams after furious beasts is okay... Heck, rams for St. Louis isn't too much of a stretch... Even know they moved from LA and pior to that from Cleveland. Heck, FWIW I remember reading somewhere that the indigenous people pushed the big horn towards and into the mountains... ??

Anyway... Maybe it is the "markets" thing in Chicago... The Merc? Stock Exchange? There is a "Bear Market" and a "Bull Market." Now, the Blackhawks (Black Hawks) were named after the first owners WWI divison... I think that is how it goes. Sox, that is self explanatory... Cubs, who doesn't like cute littel baby bears. Cubs preceeded the Bears. The Bears were always the North Side football team. The South Side football team was the Cardinals (state bird) until 1960. Natural progression (football "meaner" than baseball), the Bears still have played the most games ever @ Wrigley Field, which will be changing in the coming years.

I think they'd be more concerned with the New Jersey Devils.

And has anyone bitched about the Cleveland Indians yet? Or the Cincinnati Reds?

Cincy went by the nickname: "Red Legs" during the Red Scare of the 1950's.

New Jersey Devils... Isn't that a giant mythical owl?