Why isn't the Vikings a racist team name?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What if a team was called the Krauts or the Micks? "It's obviously a compliment to all the great German or Irish stereotypes."

Give me a break.

And this isn't directed to anyone in particular, but when I hear the anti-PC crowd chiming in, it's tough not to hear, "Stop infringing on my right to be an a-hole!"

Sure, you have the right to be a douche, but that doesn't mean you should be.

Lastly, the name doesn't really bother me, because when I hear Redskin, I think of the team. But that's the only context where it applies to me. I probably wouldn't care if I was Native American, but I'm not, so how the hell would I know?

And... I'm in before it's closed/moved to PPP :nana:

Edited by uncle flap

Some threads you just can't take back. But it's the dumbest thing I read this week. Christ!!

Oh be quiet you Viking!!! I don't think that insult attempt worked. :rolleyes: Guess you're right...Stupid thread.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I can't help but wonder what exactly defines the alleged racism of a team name? Is it based solely on skin color? There aren't any lawsuits protesting the use of Vikings or Cowboys.

Its my opinion that you would name your team after a people or an animal for their admirable qualities. Hoping somehow to infuse your team with the symbol on the helmet. Not a backhanded slight against whomever you happen to have racist tendencies.

Your thoughts?

Are you serious with this? Cowboy and Viking are not derogatory names. Why don't we make an NFL team called the Chinatown Yellowskins. Maybe we can call another team the Saratoga Whities or the Harlem Blackskins. I hate racism and prejudice and there's no room for it anywhere.

There are other ways to name Indians other than "Redskins." I love to stir the pot on these forums but comments like this is ridiculous. I don't mind the Cleveland Indians, Florida State Seminoles, or the Chicago Blackhawks. But Redskins? Really? There are other ways around this than calling them by that.

Are you serious with this? Cowboy and Viking are not derogatory names. Why don't we make an NFL team called the Chinatown Yellowskins. Maybe we can call another team the Saratoga Whities or the Harlem Blackskins. I hate racism and prejudice and there's no room for it anywhere.

There are other ways to name Indians other than "Redskins." I love to stir the pot on these forums but comments like this is ridiculous. I don't mind the Cleveland Indians, Florida State Seminoles, or the Chicago Blackhawks. But Redskins? Really? There are other ways around this than calling them by that.

Agree wholeheartedly. This ridiculous thread should be locked for its utter pointlessness.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Personally I think the buffalo bills is offensive to people named William.

My middle name is William and i'm absolutely offended! Calling the Cellino & Barnes 24 hr hotline to see if i have a case.

I can't help but wonder what exactly defines the alleged racism of a team name? Is it based solely on skin color? There aren't any lawsuits protesting the use of Vikings or Cowboys.

Its my opinion that you would name your team after a people or an animal for their admirable qualities. Hoping somehow to infuse your team with the symbol on the helmet. Not a backhanded slight against whomever you happen to have racist tendencies.

Your thoughts?

The vikings are a quasi-romanticized group of warriors who terrorized northern Europe a millennium ago. They never really suffered any major defeats, at least on their home front. "Redskins" is a derogatory name affixed to indigenous North American peoples who were largely exterminated by European settlers between 1650 and 1900. Those who weren't exterminated were herded onto reservations with the intent of wiping out their culture. I suggest starting here: http://www.amazon.com/Name-War-Philips-American-Identity/dp/0375702628

Edited by dave mcbride

The vikings are a quasi-romanticized group of warriors who terrorized northern Europe a millennium ago. They never really suffered any major defeats, at least on their home front. "Redskins" is a derogatory name affixed to indigenous North American peoples who were largely exterminated by European settlers between 1650 and 1900. Those who weren't exterminated were herded onto reservations with the intent of wiping out their culture. I suggest starting here: http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0375702628

So what you're saying is Vikings are winners and Redskins are losers?