Analytics department yet to exist @ OBD...quote from Brandon.

Drewgetz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I think the optimum way to do this is to become part of an organization similar to Blesto-V. A cooperative that analyzes certain types of information that is common to all teams, Then supplement that analysis with a small department who would interpret the data and develop additional team specific data. It would not seem to be a good idea for each NFL team to be inventing the wheel at the same time.

I think it is impportant to remember that analytics is a tool. Statistics have the most validity when dealing with large numbers. They may not be meaningful in dealing with a specific situation.

If Russ Brandon can't deliver an Analytics Dept (a few guys with Computers crunching numbers) what chance has he got delivering a competitive NFL franchise where everyone is accountable. Russ Brandon said we needed and he would establish an Analytics Dept. He has failed to do so. I thought everyone was Accountable? bull **** ! If failure starts at the top then expect no better from his employees. Perhaps the Department is not so important after all. Fortunately I have more faith in Marrone in backing up words with action.

well. let me see..Okay stop begging . you seem a good fit. Now if you could send me a definitive resume, some recommends , and of course all your masters degrees in the disciplines please. Just some minor details and we should be up and running in short order. Thanks for posting. One of my best resources in my decision making is TBD.

regards Russ

I actually do have a Master's in CIS with an emphasis in business intelligence, so... ;)

Here's where I got the data:

http://armchairanalysis.com/data.php

I had to do a lot of massaging of the data - it was a giant spreadsheet when I got it, and I imported it into an Oracle database. Looks like you have to pay for it now too, whereas I got it free (or maybe I asked them for it and they gave it to me...).

I actually reached out to the NFL and they gave me some data as well - but only one season for one team. It was in XML, which would've been easier to work with than a spreadsheet, but they wouldn't give me all the data. :(

It was a fun project. :) But I don't have the strong mathematical background to REALLY do the job, unless I just relied on tools.

What is more bothersome to me is that Russ Brandon was replying to a question, I believe, from Schoop on WGR - and Schoop had been pounding the Bills organization for a few weeks leading up to this presser, saying how behind the times the Bills were. It was OBVIOUS to me that Brandon was replying directly to what Schoop was saying, and trying to quell the opinion of any who thought the Bills would continue to be a backward organization - so, he said they'd instill a robust analytics department to make it look like they were, indeed, planning on being cutting edge.

What is bothersome to me about that is that is was obviously a ploy on Brandon's part to gain favor with Schoop and the WGR/Buffalo media. I'd much rather they do what they're going to do BECAUSE they're professionals, and they know better than the media what needs to be done. I mean, if he'd come out and say, now, that yes, they have a department beginning, then it'd look like they really had intended on doing it - but, by saying they didn't have one in place, to me, suggests it was merely said to appease the ragging of certain WGR announcers. I don't like that - I'd rather the GM tell everyone to go to *^#& rather than tell everyone what they want to hear and then do something else.

It's a small thing - I think Marrone and Whaley will be in more innovative than most - and I think it is already evident. I think many teams will begin to emulate Buffalo's approach, which is similar to Seattle's, and Philly's, and sounds similar to what Jacksonville is also doing - all relatively new teams doing things a little different now in the NFL.

What is more bothersome to me is that Russ Brandon was replying to a question, I believe, from Schoop on WGR - and Schoop had been pounding the Bills organization for a few weeks leading up to this presser, saying how behind the times the Bills were. It was OBVIOUS to me that Brandon was replying directly to what Schoop was saying, and trying to quell the opinion of any who thought the Bills would continue to be a backward organization - so, he said they'd instill a robust analytics department to make it look like they were, indeed, planning on being cutting edge.

What is bothersome to me about that is that is was obviously a ploy on Brandon's part to gain favor with Schoop and the WGR/Buffalo media. I'd much rather they do what they're going to do BECAUSE they're professionals, and they know better than the media what needs to be done. I mean, if he'd come out and say, now, that yes, they have a department beginning, then it'd look like they really had intended on doing it - but, by saying they didn't have one in place, to me, suggests it was merely said to appease the ragging of certain WGR announcers. I don't like that - I'd rather the GM tell everyone to go to *^#& rather than tell everyone what they want to hear and then do something else.

It's a small thing - I think Marrone and Whaley will be in more innovative than most - and I think it is already evident. I think many teams will begin to emulate Buffalo's approach, which is similar to Seattle's, and Philly's, and sounds similar to what Jacksonville is also doing - all relatively new teams doing things a little different now in the NFL.

Well said. This 'analytics' nonsense was simply to please the awful local media outlet.

Analytics in football are almost entirely useless, anyway. A true team sport along with a very small sample size make determining player value lack any sort of reliable accuracy. This isn't baseball.

Although, it does appear that the Bills realized one skill where analytics are useful, kicking. With Lindell finally looking like he'll get the boot.

Seems to me Russ and the Bills have had a whole lot of things to work on the first few months of the year.

You think that the stadium lease, new coach search, transition from Buddy to Doug, free agency, the draft and OTAs are "a whole lot"? I agree 100%.

It was OBVIOUS to me that Brandon was replying directly to what Schoop was saying, and trying to quell the opinion of any who thought the Bills would continue to be a backward organization - so, he said they'd instill a robust analytics department to make it look like they were, indeed, planning on being cutting edge.

Gimme a break. Edited by BillnutinHouston

I actually do have a Master's in CIS with an emphasis in business intelligence, so... ;)

Here's where I got the data:

http://armchairanalysis.com/data.php

I had to do a lot of massaging of the data - it was a giant spreadsheet when I got it, and I imported it into an Oracle database. Looks like you have to pay for it now too, whereas I got it free (or maybe I asked them for it and they gave it to me...).

I actually reached out to the NFL and they gave me some data as well - but only one season for one team. It was in XML, which would've been easier to work with than a spreadsheet, but they wouldn't give me all the data. :(

It was a fun project. :) But I don't have the strong mathematical background to REALLY do the job, unless I just relied on tools.

Suppose we developed a tool that accurately predicts run vs pass play selection that is 95% accurate. Think Russ would be interested in that? Or is he simply just marketing when he says we'll embrace analytics. The facts are the Bills are 5 years behind the majority of franchises & 10 years behind New England.

It's laughable to me that some of you really think Brandon's talk of an analytics department is a marketing ploy. What super-nerd is going to base his ticket buying decision on the hiring of a few statisticians? I understand the skepticism about every word Brandon utters, but some of you need to check yourselves.

It's interesting to me that the hatred for Russ Brandon is at an all-time high.

This in the wake of an offseason that at least by appearances, is the best the Bills have had in a long time.

Considering that Brandon was hired on January 1st, it's hard reconciling the immense dislike for the guy versus the team's professionally conducted coaching search, free agency period, and draft.

Jesus. The analytics department is not for predicting pass vs run on 3rd and 1 in the snow. It's a cap and player management tool. This is not really a priority when you just hired a new coach, new GM, and were preparing for the draft. If it's not in place before the next off season, call me.

It's interesting to me that the hatred for Russ Brandon is at an all-time high.

This in the wake of an offseason that at least by appearances, is the best the Bills have had in a long time.

Considering that Brandon was hired on January 1st, it's hard reconciling the immense dislike for the guy versus the team's professionally conducted coaching search, free agency period, and draft.

Well, what did you expect? Kelsay, and his weak sisters are gone... Buddy too. Gotta give the new coaching staff a nominal pass at least until they lose the first game - else they'd be out front in their negativity too much. So, tag... Russ - you're "it"!

It's laughable to me that some of you really think Brandon's talk of an analytics department is a marketing ploy. What super-nerd is going to base his ticket buying decision on the hiring of a few statisticians? I understand the skepticism about every word Brandon utters, but some of you need to check yourselves.

Brandon promised the creation of a ROBUST analytical dept that would be layered in. Those were his words. And so far Brandon has stated that they are using it in their strength & conditioning, and will eventually incorporate it to their salary cap management - who will be the one administrating this remains to be seen.

If you watched the presser like I did you noticed two things: Brandon is a believable talker, and Whaley appears to be a traditional GM. I don't think Whaley is the big-idea guy, he even admitted that he will need to learn more about the salary cap. Overdorf is the number guy & has been for years - I dunno the extent to his involvement or Brandon's in resigning of players. Is it the GMs decision or is it Brandon's?

The modern NFL has many dual role coach / GMs. Did the Bills really make a sweeping progressive change? The Bills appear to be at the Donahue / Mularkey intersection with the hiring of Whaley / Marrone. I can't tell the difference.

If Russ Brandon can't deliver an Analytics Dept (a few guys with Computers crunching numbers) what chance has he got delivering a competitive NFL franchise where everyone is accountable. Russ Brandon said we needed and he would establish an Analytics Dept. He has failed to do so. I thought everyone was Accountable? bull **** ! If failure starts at the top then expect no better from his employees. Perhaps the Department is not so important after all. Fortunately I have more faith in Marrone in backing up words with action.

And if you were the president, would you set up this department before you settled on the GM and he decided on the people he needed to be in place?

Jesus. The analytics department is not for predicting pass vs run on 3rd and 1 in the snow. It's a cap and player management tool. This is not really a priority when you just hired a new coach, new GM, and were preparing for the draft. If it's not in place before the next off season, call me.

Why does it have to be limited to one or the other? Good data is good data, and being able to quickly identity team tendencies (both your own as well as your opponents) is a pretty big part of the game in my opinion.

Such analytical tools will take time to implement and grow in therms of use and validation of the techniques. That is unless you can steal somebody from another franchise that is already in this game using these tehcniques. (see Moneyball the movie) I believe they will get to the development of this tool asap, they are still shaking down the new organization. And, the new scouts are going to have to be amenable to this approach.....and if Whaley doesn't believe, this won't happen either.

Brandon mentioned on WGR the other day that one of the reasons for his desire to create the department was Doug Marrone's desire for analytics information for in game use.