Buffalo Bills UDFA Signings

More info on the Rogers signing: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-draft/news/20130428/bills-receiver/?sct=uk_t2_a6

The Bills were interested in Rogers, who was one of 30 draft-eligible players Buffalo invited to visit the team's facility and meet with coaches this month.

"He had that ding at Tennessee, as we all know,'' Bills director of college scouting Chuck Cook said, referring to Rogers two weeks ago. "We've been tracking him and doing our due diligence with his intangibles, and we've come to a decision and we'll stack him on the board the way he fits in our wide receiver group.''

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Cowboys gave ASU LB Brandon Magee (who is a pretty decent player) a $70,000 bonus for signing a UDFA contract with them, which is more than any 7th round pick got last year.

Which begs the question, why not draft him in the 7th round if you want him that much?

Granted, you don't know beforehand how many teams are going to be bidding against you for UDFA, but it's not like Magee was total unknown diamond in the rough from a tiny school in South Dakota, he's just a decent player.

Ten years ago, the Cowboys found their future franchise quarterback in the ranks of the undrafted free agents. They got him with a signing bonus of $10,000, and he turned down a $20,000 offer from the Broncos.

After the 2013 draft, the Cowboys agreed to terms with undrafted Arizona State linebacker Brandon Magee. To seal the deal, the Cowboys gave him $70,000 in guaranteed money, per a source with knowledge of the deal.

That’s more guaranteed money than any seventh-round pick received in 2012. Last year, Colts offensive lineman Justin Anderson received a signing bonus of $69,124 as the first pick of the last round, and the numbers went down from there.

It doesn’t mean Magee will be guaranteed a spot on the 53-man roster. But it means that the Cowboys really wanted to give him an opportunity to latch on as a weakside linebacker in the team’s new 4-3 defense.

My theory is that Nix's collaboration with Marrone is different than with Gailey. This theory is that Gailey made it clear that he didn't want to deal with any troublemakers while Marrone was willing to consider some players with checkered pasts.

"Now you listen here, Buddy, I don't want no troublemakers, you hear?"

I believe Marv said something along of the lines of, "If you start doing what the fans want, you'll soon find yourself sitting with them."

And, ironically, history proved that any Bills fan with an above average football knowledge could have drafted players and picked a coach better than he did.

From the sounds of things, Coach Marrone doesn't plan on having him run around like RG3 based on the interview... I don't think Kolb is any good IMO... i say if there's to be a "competition", may the best man win...

The fans aren't always wrong... In this case though I put my trust in Marrone like I did Gailey his first year... If he chooses to start Kolb over EJ, then I'm all for it...

i like that they bolstered the veteran presence, give the new guy some time.

My only point is that i hope they can show some patience with him as he is a great project with a potential that i would hate to abuse.

Latest updated list of signees: http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013/04/2013-buffalo-bills-udfa-tracker/

Players Signed:

Jeff Tuel, QB, Washington State

Drew Smith, RB, Albany

Kendall Gaskins, FB, Richmond

Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech

Brandon Kaufman, WR, Eastern Washington

Kevin Norrell, WR, Stony Brook

Zack Chibane, G

Ryan Turnley, C, Pittsburgh

Aaron Tipoti, DE/DT, California

Izaan Cross, DE, Georgia Tech

Keith Pough, OLB, Howard

Nickell Robey, CB,

Vernon Kearney, CB, Lane

Kip Edwards, CB, Missouri

Jumal Rolle, CB, Catawba

Jordan Dangerfield, FS, Towson

Last updated: 4/28 1:39 p.m. ET

Buddy said on WGR that 14 teams tried to sign Da'Rick Rogers after the draft. Score for the Bills.

If that is the case, how did we end up getting him? How come he didn't want to play someplace like Miami or San Diego where he could party all the time? Did he like the Bills coaching staff, or did we offer the most lucrative contract?

If that is the case, how did we end up getting him? How come he didn't want to play someplace like Miami or San Diego where he could party all the time? Did he like the Bills coaching staff, or did we offer the most lucrative contract?

I'm guessing the main draw was our pre draft depth chart.

My theory is that Nix's collaboration with Marrone is different than with Gailey. This theory is that Gailey made it clear that he didn't want to deal with any troublemakers while Marrone was willing to consider some players with checkered pasts.

I think it's more Marrone than it is Whaley. JMO.

I agree, my theory is that Chan's primary comcern was brain power while Marrone's is folks who have talent. Just for example, the Steelers drafts have been lacking since Cowher left Pittsburgh. They're not hitting on players with the frequency they have in the past. The dynamic has changed in what is valued so the players change.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

The pre-draft visit to OBD began the process. Rogers also has the same agent as Woods and Goodwin. In addition to that Rogers and Woods train together.

Tuel is a nice pick up, he was expected by some to be drafted in the later rounds...But I absolutely love the Rogers pick up, I can't believe he wasn't drafted.

I also love the fact that the Bills ditched the "character guys" only motto...Since that worked out so well...

Rogers is a stud, big, fast, powerful...Obviously he fell for a reason (most "exerts" projected 2-4th rnd), he's a bit of a Dez Bryant type (he actually said he wants to be like Dez Bryant in an interview, in which he appeared to be high).

Rogers was a stud in Tennessee 2 years ago, before Patterson.

Most importantly though, in all of these UDFA's....The Bills have Drew Smith from UAlbany (my alma mater), as far as I know that's the first player signed to the NFL from that school.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

And, ironically, history proved that any Bills fan with an above average football knowledge could have drafted players and picked a coach better than he did.

That's easy to say when the typical fan wants every player they heard of and can cherry pick the successful ones later. You don't hear from many fans that wanted jimmy Clausen or Matt Leinert. But you do still get fans who insist Tim Tebow is worth signing.

PTR

Most importantly though, in all of these UDFA's....The Bills have Drew Smith from UAlbany (my alma mater), as far as I know that's the first player signed to the NFL from that school.

Surprisingly there are more.

The UAlbany football program continues to grow under Ford's leadership, leading to connections between the program and the National Football League. Rudy Vido, who graduated in 1974 as a fullback and defensive end, became the first player in school history to try-out for an NFL team. He tried out for the New England Patriots, but never played in the league.

In 2005, Kurt Campbell became the first player in the program's history to be drafted into the NFL. Campbell was selected in the 7th round by theGreen Bay Packers.

In the 2007 NFL Draft, Rashad Barksdale, who made the game winning interception against Delaware in 2006, became the second player in school history to be drafted. He was selected in the 6th round by the Philadelphia Eagles. Barksdale was cut however at the end of training camp, but was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs, and became the first player in school history placed on an NFL 53-man roster.

Barksdale made his National Football League debut on October 7, 2007 against the Jacksonville Jaguars. It marked the first time a UAlbany player had appeared in an NFL regular-season game when he took the field on special teams. He also played on the punt cover and punt return units and recorded his first career tackle in the fourth-quarter.

http://en.wikipedia...._Danes#Football

Player Year Position Teams Played With NFL Regular Season Debut Date Dan Gmelin 1997 DE San Diego Chargers Seth Thomas 1997 TE Carolina Panthers Matt Caliandro 1998 DE Tennessee Titans Kurt Campbell 2005 LB Green Bay Packers (Drafted 2005 - 7th Round);Oakland Raiders; Tennessee Titans Geir Gudmundsen 2005 OL Buffalo Bills Andre Coleman 2007 DE San Diego Chargers Jacob Hobbs 2007 OG Philadelphia Eagles Rashad Barksdale 2007 DB Philadelphia Eagles (Drafted 2007- 6th Round) ; Kansas City Chiefs; New York Giants Oct. 7, 2007 Jon Morgan 2013 LB Detroit Lions Drew Smith 2013 RB Buffalo Bills