Geno Smith vs EJ Manuel

That's true. But on pure size/athleticism/arm strength combined there were still guys better than (or at least comparable to) Geno. I think geno separated himself with nfl-ready in some peoples minds.

In people's minds, I agree. Yet looking carefully even at the media scouting reports, hint at many of the same questions about NFL readiness that Manuel has: struggling with multiple reads, locking on one side of the field, etc. Maybe I'll see if I can find a couple and deconstruct them later. What I'm saying is I think it's possible in NFL scouts minds, they don't see Smith as being NFL-ready.

Think we'll have to disagree here. From seeing a lot of NY media they want Sanchez long term replacement on day 1. theres no sense at all Garrard has a shot at starter. Hes a designated day 1 backup. hes 35 and out of football for a year, Kolb 28 and started last year until injury. Manuel may be favored by Bills, but I still think Kolb gets a legit shot at starting.

Again, no disagreement about the viewpoint of NYC media. I"m sure they want their shiny new toy, and they want it NOW. I'm speaking more of the Jets staff. They're the ones who saw Garrard work out and signed him - you gotta believe they never signed him if he didn't persuade them that he could still play. You're right on the age thing, 28>>>35. The other side of the coin is that his day, Garrard showed himself to be a far better(and more durable) NFL QB than anything Kolb has demonstrated to date. If he had played on a better team, IMO we'd be seeing him more as a Hasselbeck or a Schaub, not a top-5 guy or a star but a damned good NFL QB.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that the Jets think they don't need to start Smith right away, even if they part ways with Sanchez. We may disagree there.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just keeps getting better and better. I am SOOOOOOOO glad we didn't take Geno Smith now. What an idiot.

The only person to blame for not being selected as first QB off the board is the present day "draft guru" (Kiper, McShay, CBS Sports, Bleacher, etc.)...the agent doesn't control where the player gets selected. But these draft experts put it in his mind that he would be the first QB. So sorry Geno.

Well we have a higher all-time winning percentage than the Jets do and we lead the all-time series against the Jets.

So why shouldn't we talk?

Er, mebbe 'cuz they've pwn'd us lately?

As to Nawrocki, he had Barkley as a 1st rounder and we haven't seen Smith on the field yet. So I'll wait to consider him redeemed.

Man, I was bummed to read this. Love the Bills, love the great city of Buffalo and its people, but despise the tone of this thread. I can't believe some of the comments I read which are so clearly racist. There has been such a backlash against the ridiculous "PC" movement that in some circles when you object to something as sounding inappropriate, it is a great comeback to say "I don't buy that PC baloney", as if that gives a person license to make whatever racist comments they feel like.

The tone of the early parts of this thread were clearly racist and way out of touch with where most of our society is today and should be in the future. There are way more valid ways to criticize a young man than than attacking where he is from. And we all know that references to a person as "inner-city", "ghetto" and from the "hood" are not used to refer to white people.

Well, loving this draft, and loving our new cannon-armed QB with all the new weapons. I also hope Geno proves us wrong (I don't think he will have a good career either) and has a fine career that makes the Jets the second best in the division behind our Bills (and just short of the playoffs). Let's focus our hate where it belongs Belicheat and the Fish. Flame away -- I don't care, I know what is right.

Man, I was bummed to read this. Love the Bills, love the great city of Buffalo and its people, but despise the tone of this thread. I can't believe some of the comments I read which are so clearly racist. There has been such a backlash against the ridiculous "PC" movement that in some circles when you object to something as sounding inappropriate, it is a great comeback to say "I don't buy that PC baloney", as if that gives a person license to make whatever racist comments they feel like.

The tone of the early parts of this thread were clearly racist and way out of touch with where most of our society is today and should be in the future. There are way more valid ways to criticize a young man than than attacking where he is from. And we all know that references to a person as "inner-city", "ghetto" and from the "hood" are not used to refer to white people.

Well, loving this draft, and loving our new cannon-armed QB with all the new weapons. I also hope Geno proves us wrong (I don't think he will have a good career either) and has a fine career that makes the Jets the second best in the division behind our Bills (and just short of the playoffs). Let's focus our hate where it belongs Belicheat and the Fish. Flame away -- I don't care, I know what is right.

Yup. We have some of the best fans but we also have some fans that disgust me. But nothing is impressive as trashing a 22 year old kid from the behind a computer screen. Class.

All the racist commentary aside... I do like how EJ has handled himself compared to Geno so far.

Who the hell knows how their careers will turn out, though.

I'm loving Manuel too, but I think people are piling on Smith. He went from a #1 overall during the year to #1 QB to 2nd round pick. He's 22, of course he's disappointed. If you got passed over for a promotion at work, would you be smiling? For some reason, people get on a message board and lose all prospective.

In the interim since the draft ended, it's easy to see that the emotional maturity of EJ3 is light years ahead of Geno's. This is going to be an important factor in the future development of each of them.

Huge advantage for EJ3 IMO.

In the interim since the draft ended, it's easy to see that the emotional maturity of EJ3 is light years ahead of Geno's. This is going to be an important factor in the future development of each of them.

Huge advantage for EJ3 IMO.

I'd still put Smith ahead of some posters here though.

Who the hell knows how their careers will turn out, though.

No one knows. If the Bills had taken Smith then this forum would be filled with apologists saying how he is a disappointed kid and this has no bearing on how he will perform on the field.

But the Bills took Manuel, so some feel the need to piss on the pick that most of the talking heads (and hair) would have preferred.

If, God forbid, in 3 years Geno is kicking ass and taking names while Manuel looks like Losman no one will remember threads like this and will demand he be cut and whoever the GM is be fired.

It's just the post draft kool-aid talking, no harm done ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yeah, almost as much as you love bringing race into everything.

it was a joke..didn't know i was the Jason Whitlock of TBD.....nawrocki wrote bad reviews of Cam and Geno.

Geno is a good qb imo.........I hope we get to see the Sanchize for 3 weeks to kill the Jets season.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

One of the main criticisms of Geno going into the draft was his mental toughness. Considering that he was about to skip the second day of the draft in the Green Room, after he was seen sulking in disappointment, in which of course someone told him "You can't do that man, you better show up for day two" and now that he has fired his agent only reinforces some of the criticism that he received. Time will tell whether or not those criticisms were unfounded.

Edited by Magox

I love when i see "he's only 22". So, when are these "kids" expected to handle themselves with poise and class? They are only 22 so thats above their maturity level i guess.

Geno is an adult plain and simple.

Thank god we got EJ.

One of the guys on the radio yesterday (I forget which channel) was saying that Geno's pre-draft visits did not go well. There were issues with his answering questions on the defensive schemes and it was why he never went in the 1st as projected.

I reckon he'll be OK and I wish him the best. No easy task playing QB in that NY zoo of a market.

Maybe I'm being a homer here, but I find EJ a more likeable, mature man. And...I think he has the mental intangibles to have a good NFL career. Not to mention the almost freakish athleticism.

Today on ESPN radio, a couple of national media types were guessing which QB would have the most success in the NFL. They immediately discounted EJ, saying the Bills suck and always will pretty much. That comment pissed me off, even though looking back 13 years its pretty true. They ignored the fact that a new sheriff(s) is in town.

They concluded Matt Barkley will be the most successful this year because of the great team around him. We'll see.

I'm tired of the lack of respect (and coverage) we get from the national media.

Whatever the case, I'm proud to have EJ as our future franchise guy. He seems like a helluva classy kid. And...Bruce Smith's God son. Gotta love that factoid !!

jb

I concur good post!

Good post. The glee with which people instantly pile on is disturbing, let alone the racist tone of some.

I'm taking lots of joy in the EJ pick, and no doubt Geno isn't coming off too well right now. But there is no reason to wish him ill.

And as many have pointed out, this could all be so much froth. Maybe Geno turns into a HOFer and EJ ends up as just a very likable bust. I don't think so - I couldn't be more excited about EJ. But anyone who claims to know how things will turn out is crazy.