We did not address the TE position

freester

We are desperate for an impact TE. All the top TE are gone. Chandler will probably start year on pup list. TE is a critical position for a young QB

We had more holes than we were gonna fill in top 4 rounds.

Big Hole - QB Filled

Big Hole - LB Filled

Big Hole - WR Filled

Big Hole - Playmakers and Speed at WR Filled

Big Hole - Safety Filled

What else do you want them to do? Plus there is a lot of TE's on the FA market still and the team resigned Dorin Dickerson, so maybe they see more out of him then we are assuming.

Still think we can grab a sleeper prospect like Joseph Fauria, TE UCLA in the 5th - 7th

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dickerson is being moved to TE, his position in college, to be the pass catching TE. His senior season he had 45 catches for 500 yards and 10 TDs. Good stats.

I really think when they re signed him it was a tell.

and dont forget buddy might find a gem in udfa or castoffs... :thumbsup:

ps once Ertz was gone the want for TE might have dropped off

We are desperate for an impact TE. All the top TE are gone. Chandler will probably start year on pup list. TE is a critical position for a young QB

As No Saint said, if you go into the draft trying to fill needs you will be disappointed in September. Today's Alonso and Duke may become good players but they are just as likely to become Tank Carder and D'Norris Searcy.

The Bills had needs coming into the offseason, but they have faired poorly this offseason to date and as a result they have been reaching for needs on draft day........and since they have more needs than picks they were bound to come out of day 2 with a number of need positions unaddressed. Tight end is one of those.

It's always important to remember that somebody has to finish last in the AFC East. The fans not wanting it to happen is not going to prevent it from happening. The organization needs to get serious. Addressing QB was a start but they blew it this offseason. It's going to take a herculean effort from this new coaching staff to avoid a 6th straight last place finish in the AFC East.

I am just glad that for once they actually addressed that QB position with their first pick in a draft. Technically, they TRADED their first pick in this draft but at least the first selection the team made was a QB for the first time in 53 years. Hardly the bold move it is being sold as, but a step in the right direction.

I like EJ......he may end up being one of the least successful QB's from this draft when it all shakes out.....but he was the guy with the most physical upside. I would have preferred Barkley(and it matters not to me that he ended up going in round 4) because I think his floor is the highest of all the QB prospects and I think that the turnaround needs to start NOW. If EJ doesn't make immediate HUGE strides from his uneven play at Florida State then Marrone and his staff could quickly end up becoming PART of the rich losing culture of the Buffalo Bills and that will make it all the harder to turn things around in year 2.

As No Saint said, if you go into the draft trying to fill needs you will be disappointed in September. Today's Alonso and Duke may become good players but they are just as likely to become Tank Carder and D'Norris Searcy.

The Bills had needs coming into the offseason, but they have faired poorly this offseason to date and as a result they have been reaching for needs on draft day........and since they have more needs than picks they were bound to come out of day 2 with a number of need positions unaddressed. Tight end is one of those.

It's always important to remember that somebody has to finish last in the AFC East. The fans not wanting it to happen is not going to prevent it from happening. The organization needs to get serious. Addressing QB was a start but they blew it this offseason. It's going to take a herculean effort from this new coaching staff to avoid a 6th straight last place finish in the AFC East.

I am just glad that for once they actually addressed that QB position with their first pick in a draft. Technically, they TRADED their first pick in this draft but at least the first selection the team made was a QB for the first time in 53 years. Hardly the bold move it is being sold as, but a step in the right direction.

I like EJ......he may end up being one of the least successful QB's from this draft when it all shakes out.....but he was the guy with the most physical upside. I would have preferred Barkley(and it matters not to me that he ended up going in round 4) because I think his floor is the highest of all the QB prospects and I think that the turnaround needs to start NOW. If EJ doesn't make immediate HUGE strides from his uneven play at Florida State then Marrone and his staff could quickly end up becoming PART of the rich losing culture of the Buffalo Bills and that will make it all the harder to turn things around in year 2.

Glad you are pleased with the effort.

I think that the Bills picked the qb they wanted. for better or worse , they went for their guy and i congratulate them. Finally as you mention.

I myself am not displeased with the draft overall. Intrigued would be a good word in general.

Lets wait and see if they translate to NFL turf before we decide

Who needs TEs, will all thought it was Chan but now we now it's Nix who doesn't see their value.

you mean like QB?

You sound like the most miserable person on earth, do you have stock in Kleenex?

Every single one of your posts is just blah blah cry cry.

You sound like the most miserable person on earth, do you have stock in Kleenex?

Every single one of your posts is just blah blah cry cry.

Call as I see it, I know everyone wants to be happy during the draft but when you are constantly reaching for picks the optimism goes out the window. If Nix had a proven track record I could accept it but he doesn't and this is just more of the same.

Call as I see it, I know everyone wants to be happy during the draft but when you are constantly reaching for picks the optimism goes out the window. If Nix had a proven track record I could accept it but he doesn't and this is just more of the same.

Whats your deal with Nix? Do you seriously think Nix makes all the draft decisions? Its not even remotely close to that. Nix and the scouts, along with the coaching staff, evaluate and go after players the COACHING staff want and players to fit that staffs scheme. They make decisions together, and many times, the coaching staff is the one pushing for a player.

To sit here and say Nix did this great or did this bad is an uninformed opinion and grossly inaccurate. This draft was ALL about who Marrone, Hacket and Pettine wanted, not Nix. So why people hold on to this incredibly inaccurate notion that GM's completely decide the draft is beyond me. Maybe in Dallas or Oakland where the owner over rode everyone on their staff that was true, but that is not true around the rest of the league.

By the way, I am still hoping we take Fauria. I know this kids family, met him, and let me say he has impressed me a lot. Seen a lot of him here in LA too. He isnt very polished as a blocker, but the kid is a real nice receiving option with a lot of upside. Big kid too!

Whats your deal with Nix? Do you seriously think Nix makes all the draft decisions? Its not even remotely close to that. Nix and the scouts, along with the coaching staff, evaluate and go after players the COACHING staff want and players to fit that staffs scheme. They make decisions together, and many times, the coaching staff is the one pushing for a player.

To sit here and say Nix did this great or did this bad is an uninformed opinion and grossly inaccurate. This draft was ALL about who Marrone, Hacket and Pettine wanted, not Nix. So why people hold on to this incredibly inaccurate notion that GM's completely decide the draft is beyond me. Maybe in Dallas or Oakland where the owner over rode everyone on their staff that was true, but that is not true around the rest of the league.

The first three drafts Nix made seemed all about Buddy Nix, and what he likes. I'm sure that Gailey had some strong input, like wanting Spiller. But almost all of the picks seemed to be Buddy Nix picks.

This draft, seems all about Marrone, Hackett and Pettine, and the schemes they are going to run.

I respectfully disagree. If you look at who we picked and why, they were guys that fit what Gailey and DC wanted (DC changed from drat to draft under Nix). And we passed on guys because of the staff's false belief in players already on the roster like Fitzcraptrick and our weak WR's.

But I do fully agree, this draft is all about the new regime and that is why I have been saying how foolish it is to make judgements on the quality of the draft based on the previous staff's failures.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Here's a TE, does that mean you are going to post something positive/like the draft more Chief? :thumbsup:

Chris Gragg

Strengths: Fluid and smooth athlete, moving like a bigger wide receiver. Able to gain free release off the line of scrimmage with the quickness to create separation in his routes. Improved route-runner with a strong plant foot to make sharp cuts in/out of his breaks. Tracks the ball well to extend and snatch it with his hands. Does a nice job catching the ball in stride to pick up yards after contact. Nice job making contested grabs and staying tough over the middle. Has done a nice job putting good weight on his frame and working hard in the weight room.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal frame for the position and needs to continue to add bulk. Still needs a lot of work as a route-runner and didn't excel on routes that weren't shallow crossing patterns. Has had some costly drops and appears to have streaky focus and confidence at times. Needs to eliminate the mental errors, something his coaches have pointed out. Struggles to sustain blocks and needs to develop his technique in this area to compensate for his leaner build. Durability is a strong concern after missing most of his senior season with a leg injury and a history of several other medical issues.

Compares To: Lance Kendricks, TE, St. Louis Rams

Who needs TEs, will all thought it was Chan but now we now it's Nix who doesn't see their value.

you mean like QB?

Drafting a quarterback is an investment in your franchise. It doesn't fall under the same category of "need" as any other position. Period.

If it works out, then that QB will likely be with you for a LONG time. Wide receivers? Meh. See Lee Evans. He was very good. He is now out of the NFL. Ben Roethlisberger was selected just before Lee and I don't think anyone is expecting Big Ben to hang up the spikes anytime soon.

The Bills drafted A LOT of one-contract type players this week.

In a draft that was strong on the lines they came away with no lineman because they were desperately filling holes that they created with poor drafting in recent years etc..

To the OP, um.. Yes we did!

hehehe... New Rule: "Be careful what you post. Because this FO is always looking to make you wrong."

The guy we got was rated 3-4th round? I'll take that at 7, injury, non-blocking aside.

In a draft that was strong on the lines they came away with no lineman because they were desperately filling holes that they created with poor drafting in recent years etc..

Or...because we have done such a good job on the lines over the last 3 years...we have the luxury of taking weapon after weapon and big hitters at S and LB.

I mean, I agree with your analysis, the draft was thick with lineman. But...is the 5th LT on the chart...really better than Cordy Glenn, or, Erik Pears for that matter?

Of course the weapons have to pan out. But, with this D coach, and given what we know about the last one, I'd say we are just fine on the D side of the lines.

I also think we can find a LG out of the 6 possibles we have on the team, right now.

My hope is: the team is in position next year to take the BPAs and if we can find good lineman, we take them.