Rd 3, Pick #78: WR Marquise Goodwin - Texas

boyst

I bet it's rarely significant, except when a guy has to try to make a 1-handed catch. Even then, probably what's more significant is having "soft" hands than big ones.

Potential for fumble-itis.

A problem Roscoe had (8.5" hand size according to this link): http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7625

Edited by Lurker

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Potential for fumble-itis.

A problem Roscoe had (8.5" hand size according to this link): http://www.footballs...opic.php?t=7625

Overthinking the hand size aspect. He isn't a QB, holding the ball up over his shoulders with one hand. He hasn't had any problems catching, or holding on to the ball.

From SB Nation article....

"Goodwin has great hands too, and will rarely turn the ball over. His one fumble this season came against West Virginia, in October, when he was knocked unconscious by a Mountaineer. Goodwin’s great hands are combined with the fact that he rarely drops the ball. He excels in the open field and can make defenders miss rather easily. He doesn’t normally have to make defenders miss though, he usually blows right by them. Goodwin was considered one of the stars of the 2013 Senior Bowl, impressing scouts enough to mock him up one round. Speed isn’t everything (see Darius Heyward-Bey) but Goodwin’s athleticism is quite a spectacle."

I see him more as Steve Smith, than Roscoe Parrish.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Although Goodwin had a much smaller role than Austin did at WVU, their physical measurables seem very close. And they both seem to have good hands and an ability to get open. So you might think that at least one draft guru would have criticized the Rams-Bills trade saying something like "they could have gotten an Austin clone in a later round with Goodwin." Instead, they seem to universally praise the Rams for being "smart" while on the same trade basically calling the Bills idiots for trading down, picking up a couple of extra picks AND getting the QB they wanted. Yes, I know Austin had the bigger career and all that. I'm just pointing out that the grounds upon which the Bills have been excoriated are that they panicked and picked EJ too early, that they could have taken "someone really good that filled a bigger need" at 16 and still gotten EJ in the third or fourth round. Funny how the Rams are brilliant and the Bills are dummies, eh?

Although Goodwin had a much smaller role than Austin did at WVU, their physical measurables seem very close. And they both seem to have good hands and an ability to get open. So you might think that at least one draft guru would have criticized the Rams-Bills trade saying something like "they could have gotten an Austin clone in a later round with Goodwin." Instead, they seem to universally praise the Rams for being "smart" while on the same trade basically calling the Bills idiots for trading down, picking up a couple of extra picks AND getting the QB they wanted. Yes, I know Austin had the bigger career and all that. I'm just pointing out that the grounds upon which the Bills have been excoriated are that they panicked and picked EJ too early, that they could have taken "someone really good that filled a bigger need" at 16 and still gotten EJ in the third or fourth round. Funny how the Rams are brilliant and the Bills are dummies, eh?

Don't even bother listening to the pundits. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. they are entertainers. One aspect I am definitely certain of, and that is that most people on this board know more about the Bills than virtually every analyst. They aren't spending nearly the time that the hard core fans do, combing over this team.

They're within a half inch of each other (Goodwin is taller) but Goodwin is 9 pounds heavier and appears much larger than Austin. As mentioned before Goodwin's vertical jump was 10 inches higher and his broad jump was 12 inches greater.

That's a very significant difference.

Another significant difference is that Austin went at #8 while Goodwin went 70 picks later, at #78.

I'm loving this pick.

Don't even bother listening to the pundits. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. they are entertainers. One aspect I am definitely certain of, and that is that most people on this board know more about the Bills than virtually every analyst. They aren't spending nearly the time that the hard core fans do, combing over this team.

Agreed.

Just listened to his interview on Howard Simons show . Seems like a real good kid !!! The speed on offense has me so excited its not even funny . All of these WRs seem to have good hands as well ? I haven't heard anything otherwise ? What about the TE position too ?

Just listened to his interview on Howard Simons show . Seems like a real good kid !!! The speed on offense has me so excited its not even funny . All of these WRs seem to have good hands as well ? I haven't heard anything otherwise ? What about the TE position too ?

The audio from the interview is up for those who may have missed it:

http://itmpodcasttrack.com/podcast_track.mp3?iTunes=play&stationId=2858&episodeId=6358475&url=http://podcast.wgr550.com/wgr2/3977000.mp3?rhidownloadlink=true

I'm already weaponizing Marquise Goodwin in my head... -Tremendous athlete, first of all.... I'd approach his upgrades with Randall Cobb in mind. I see a seam, jerk-route, end-around type of weapon in this kid. Cobb's hands are an inch bigger, and Cobb played QB in College... But when you look at film of both, you see similar attributes.

Goodwin also has a hint of physicality to his running style, which should be exploited. -I see him coming out of the backfield every so often, and helping out on Punt returns.

Goodwin will be a tremendous asset if Marrone gets it right.

Edited by #34fan

They're within a half inch of each other (Goodwin is taller) but Goodwin is 9 pounds heavier and appears much larger than Austin. As mentioned before Goodwin's vertical jump was 10 inches higher and his broad jump was 12 inches greater.

That's a very significant difference.

Another significant difference is that Austin went at #8 while Goodwin went 70 picks later, at #78.

I'm loving this pick.

Agreed.

Well to be fair, another major difference was the production between the two.

Well to be fair, another major difference was the production between the two.

Well of course and that's one of the givens in the conversation.

I'll just say that I can't wait to see the kid play and I'll also be curious to see if the reservations some have about Austin's ability to succeed in the NFL have any merit.

Whaley dared to compare his blocking to another Steeler... Hines Ward.

Check him out blocking here on special teams. And he looks like he has good acceleration on his great hitch and go.

Funny you mention that; I just watched this video this morning (from the boston.com article linked on TBD) and that was my first thought -- whoa, this kid isn't afraid to hit somebody. My second thought was, holy crap, he's fast. I know this sounds silly, but he also looked "bigger" than I expected.

Looking forward to seeing what Hackett does with all of this speed (Graham, Goodwin, Spiller).