Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

No, he wasnt. He was always the same guy. I don't know where that came from. He always wilted under pressure. Always. he never threw the ball downfield with any regularity. He played better at times, sure. But he never ever ever was good when he was pressured. He always checked down, even when he was a rookie, second year, third year, it doesnt matter. People used to give him credit for stuff he never did. What he was very good at was reading the defense PRE-snap, deciding where to go with the ball and then getting back and throwing right away. He was fearless in the pocket, even in college, the point of being bullheaded. What he was never good at was when he was rushed heavily. Singular plays? Sure. RJ was good at singular plays once in a great while. But Trentative was always Capt Checkdown.

I'm not going to go back and watch old Trentative tapes (shudder) but I'll take your word for it; I guess I just remembered differently. Anyway, I do understand the point about successful QBs needing to react and throw accurately under pressure. I still haven't seen visual evidence Manuel can't do that.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think this matters.

It does not.

It most certainly does matter. A larger field with moving targets is a lot harder to scan than 3 immobile targets in a smaller area.

Sorry if this was posted before. It's a good vid of EJ's strengths and weaknesses.

Good video. Shows that he has some work to do (Like all rookies). Hopefully, the bills staff will be able to iron out his flaws.

Sorry if this was posted before. It's a good vid of EJ's strengths and weaknesses.

Geez...after watching that I feel even better about the pick. Some of the highlights of EJ's supposed "weaknesses" were questionable at best. Very excited for the start of minicamp.

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of weird hearing that Hackett's offense is simpler than FSU's...and a touch worrisome. Unless Hackett is purposely putting in a simplified offense so that Manuel can learn and then slowly making it more complex (like they did with Wilson in Seattle), I'm suddenly going back to the "Pop Warner playbook" days that was Jauron's last season.

It's kind of weird hearing that Hackett's offense is simpler than FSU's...and a touch worrisome. Unless Hackett is purposely putting in a simplified offense so that Manuel can learn and then slowly making it more complex (like they did with Wilson in Seattle), I'm suddenly going back to the "Pop Warner playbook" days that was Jauron's last season.

I'm not worried about that. Simpler doesn't mean simple in the sense we remember. In any case I get the distinct impression from the types of players we drafted, and the types we already have, that this team is going to try and beat defenses with their pure athleticism and speed. I expect it to be more about using our speed and agility to make the plays, not necessarily overly deceptive formations or such. Take that for what its worth.

"The funny thing is it's easier to learn than the offense I had at Florida State," he told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "It's a true West Coast-type progression offense. That's really what I wanted when I was coming through the pre-draft process. I wanted something that I could just go in and say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, check it down and run it. That's it, it's that simple. I love it."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9291927/ej-manuel-buffalo-bills-system-easier-learn-florida-state-offense

E J Manuel will be the opening day starter.

I don't like that either, considering FSU did not ask Manuel to do a lot. He made a very high percentage of short, safe passes from the shotgun.

I really hope Manuel pans out... but, there's good reason why most outsiders hated the pick.

I think you have him confused with Geno Smith.

I'm not worried about that. Simpler doesn't mean simple in the sense we remember. In any case I get the distinct impression from the types of players we drafted, and the types we already have, that this team is going to try and beat defenses with their pure athleticism and speed. I expect it to be more about using our speed and agility to make the plays, not necessarily overly deceptive formations or such. Take that for what its worth.

agreed. know what to do, where to go, and get there as fast as possible. take out the guess work and fly like a bat out of hell. also, in running an offense that isn't overly complex, maybe these players will be able to not only run it, but run it with confidence. and maybe with confidence will come the long forgotten swagger of a team that knows they are going to kick your @$$. hey, a guy can hope, right?

"The funny thing is it's easier to learn than the offense I had at Florida State," he told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "It's a true West Coast-type progression offense. That's really what I wanted when I was coming through the pre-draft process. I wanted something that I could just go in and say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, check it down and run it. That's it, it's that simple. I love it."

http://espn.go.com/n...a-state-offense

Sounds like the read-option/what Seattle did to me.

http://espn.go.com/n...a-state-offense

Trey Wingo is dead wrong about the guy picking EJ being gone. All things considered, drafting Manuel at 16 was definitely a Whaley pick IMO.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz