Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

There's also the possibility that any number of teams would have drafted back into the first round to take him.

Exactly.

Why get cute and miss out on your top rated QB by a wide margin?

Funny how before the draft everyone wanted the Bills to trade down and then pick a QB. They do that, get 2 more picks and then people say they should have traded down again. Some will never be satisfied.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish one of the scouts or front office staff of Jax or the Eagles come out and say that they would have picked Manuel at the top fo the 2nd (or even at the bottom of the 1st) if he had been available. This will put the whole thing to rest. May be one of the journalists like Tim Graham or Gaughan should hunt down one of those front office staff and get the information (leaked) out through them. Where is investigative journalism nowadays!

They are stupid. I think the majority of the NFL media who were calling EJ Manuel 2nd and 3rd round talent will eventually be embarrassed by their low-ball evaluations of Manuel. Going into the draft, Ryan Nassib amazingly ascended higher than EJ Manuel on a LOT of draft expert's boards. It got to the point where these "experts" were ok with Nassib being drafted by the Bills at #8. It made absolutely no sense to me at all especially when you consider that these people are getting paid for their "expert" opinions.

EJ Manuel in comparison to Ryan Nassib is much bigger, much taller, much faster, has a stronger arm, he's smarter, has much better touch, played better teams, played in a better conference, had a better completion percentage, 4-0 in bowl games, was the winning QB in the Senior Bowl, he's extremely mobile, runs very well with the football, was faster in the cone drills, and he out jumped him by a lot in the broad and vertical jumps.

The only reason I can think of why the downgrades happened was that EJ Manuel was the only QB in this draft class being punished by the majority of the NFL media for not being RGIII or Andrew Luck. The "experts" were mad, they were confused and they needed a QB to take it out on. They seemingly took glee in knocking EJ Manuel more than any QB in this class. I'm almost positive that EJ has the draft expert's comments on him well-documented.

This is very strange and unreal stuff, here's the NFL.com's final draft prospect grades...

Ryan Nassib - 78.7

EJ Manuel - 68.7

Obviously no one's hit the field yet but if I were EJ, I'd have a huge chip on my shoulder for being so thoroughly discounted, mocked and knocked around the last few months by the NFL media.

http://www.bostonglo...5MXO/story.html

In the linked article from the Boston Globe, One scout was quoted with the following statement:

The second scout had a harsher assessment.

“On our board, he has all the tools, tall, strong arm, but upstairs he’s very limited . . . they can’t overload him. As a new coach [Doug Marrone], you’re asking this guy to run your team,” he said.

The bolded part of the statement seems to run contrary to everything else I have heard about EJ3's mental capacity for learning an offense.

Sounds like the stereotypical racist BS I've heard about Black QBs for far too long. Maybe it's me?

EJ Manuel's book smarts were never in question. His biggest critics, however, do question EJ's ability to process information on the football field. They believe he's not mentally fast enough to make a quick decision on any given play if the first two options are not open.

EJ Manuel's book smarts were never in question. His biggest critics, however, do question EJ's ability to process information on the football field. They believe he's not mentally fast enough to make a quick decision on any given play if the first two options are not open.

Did you watch the ESPN SportScience piece on EJ? There's a specific test to measure recognition; the QB has three targets 15 yards away spread across the "field" that are blinking alternately, and as soon as one blinks green (open) the QB is to throw to that target. EJ's performance was stellar in this exercise, both in recognition time and quickness of release. I just would like to know where these "mental" criticisms are coming from.

Did you watch the ESPN SportScience piece on EJ? There's a specific test to measure recognition; the QB has three targets 15 yards away spread across the "field" that are blinking alternately, and as soon as one blinks green (open) the QB is to throw to that target. EJ's performance was stellar in this exercise, both in recognition time and quickness of release. I just would like to know where these "mental" criticisms are coming from.

I saw that and was impressed but it is still not the same thing.

Look at it this way: Trent Edwards was great in practice and even usually very good to great in preseason. But when the season started, and the rush came, he panicked and became Captain Checkdown, or got brutalized in the game, even though he was tough and fearless, because of that pressure in the pocket that cannot be replicated anywhere on earth. The same thing with RJ and a dozens of other QBs.

I saw that and was impressed but it is still not the same thing.

Look at it this way: Trent Edwards was great in practice and even usually very good to great in preseason. But when the season started, and the rush came, he panicked and became Captain Checkdown, or got brutalized in the game, even though he was tough and fearless, because of that pressure in the pocket that cannot be replicated anywhere on earth. The same thing with RJ and a dozens of other QBs.

No, I get it, but even with Brady the issue is pressure. To me, the test establishes that Manuel can process the information quickly.

And even with Edwards, he didn't become Trentative until after the concussion. Before that he was standing in there and making plays.

Hopefully we'll be able to get a shot at Kevin Hogan in a couple years. This guy's gonna be good

I like Kevin but he has a long way to go. Hope he plays well enough to get consideration for the draft, though. Maybe we can finally end the SEC's stranglehold on the championship.

No, I get it, but even with Brady the issue is pressure. To me, the test establishes that Manuel can process the information quickly.

And even with Edwards, he didn't become Trentative until after the concussion. Before that he was standing in there and making plays.

No, he wasnt. He was always the same guy. I don't know where that came from. He always wilted under pressure. Always. he never threw the ball downfield with any regularity. He played better at times, sure. But he never ever ever was good when he was pressured. He always checked down, even when he was a rookie, second year, third year, it doesnt matter. People used to give him credit for stuff he never did. What he was very good at was reading the defense PRE-snap, deciding where to go with the ball and then getting back and throwing right away. He was fearless in the pocket, even in college, the point of being bullheaded. What he was never good at was when he was rushed heavily. Singular plays? Sure. RJ was good at singular plays once in a great while. But Trentative was always Capt Checkdown.

Just don't get the comment, " with all that Buffalo invested in Manuel". Makes it sound like we gave up a lot to pick him.

All that Buffalo invested = 1st round draft pick

The common wisdom amongst media pundits and prognosticators is that "draft QB in 1st round" = "start QB that year, ready or not"

Yeah, I caught that. A football field is 53 yards wide. How wide is the sports science facility?

EJ3???? I dont know about anybody elses opinion but i think this nickname is absolute garbage! I was under the impression that we were trying for a culture change not a culture copy. I sure hope that fans can come up with something original, not saying i have a good one yet, but sounds a lot like a qb from the washington redskins. I dont believe there are any comparisons to the two nor should there be.

Hopelessly optimstic Bills fan