Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm constantly impressed by the number of people who seem to be elite level talent evaluators. So many experts on one fan forum is one of the reasons I keep coming back here. Though I sometimes get confused with the conflicting views of our TBD expert talent evaluators......I know that since they are stating things in a dogmatic and unequivocal fashion that they all must be correct at the same time.

3. But the most damning thing for McShay? How in the hell do you have "slow eyes", when you are getting the ball out in 2 or less seconds, every...single..time?

Funniest thing is the Sports Science segment talks about how quick E.J.'s eyes are from their tests.

I think I will trust the facts more than your nausea

My nausea is telling me a couple things...

1. There were a lot of would's and could's supporting those "facts."

2. I don't see all five of those teams grabbing a QB

3. Even if there were 5 taken, I don't see much of a gap in the talent in the 1st and 6th Qbs available.

That's my opinion not Kiper or McShay's, those guys aren't true evaluators because they factor in what they hear from outside sources, also they believe there was 1st rd talent at the QB position, I don't. Thank you though for being arrogant enough to assume that my opinions are just their regurgitations because they run counter to your own. Next time I do listen to someone, I'll seek out the knowledge and experience of the guy with 5 billion posts on a message board because that's where the "facts" reside.

With GM seats burning, Bills and Dolphins go bold; more Snaps: http://sportsillustr...snap-judgments/

So the Bills got their quarterback, but it wasn't Ryan Nassib; it wasn't Geno Smith; and it wasn't Matt Barkley. As it turns out, it was Manuel who went first overall in the passing set, and maybe we should have seen that coming all along. After all, Manuel was the most read-option friendly quarterback in the draft, and that particular trend has been in the news a bit of late.

We don't know yet whether Buffalo plans to prioritize that part of Manuel's game, but those who said this year's draft wouldn't yield much on the read-option QB front, and that that kind of offense might be a quick-passing fad, perhaps spoke too soon.

Judgements: Bills gets crafty to get the guy they wanted all along: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22140393/bills-gets-crafty-to-get-the-guy-they-wanted-all-along

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It's nice to see everyone is so enthusiastic and positive about the pick. I think the Bills panicked a bit and chose him too early though. Buddy was under intense pressure to select a QB based on his failure to get one last year.(when the QB class was stronger)

I hope he becomes a great QB for the Bills.

As I said in an earlier post, the Bills were faced with a relatively weak QB class and a strong class for lineman and therefore (based on history) they would select a QB. It is no coincidence that this organization hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years.

Buddy said his goal was to get three starters with the top 3 picks, so I guess he better nail the next three picks.

i love the pick and the timing. 16 was perfect because they got their guy and picked up a pick that they can do some damage with. hopefully all these teams ahead of us in the second will now be taking their qbs where they were supposed to be taken and we can grab some serious value in players that may have slipped out of the first.

We Got Vince Young!!!!

no, we cut vince young.

Hated this pick. A team with desperate needs like the Bills shouldn't use their first pick on someone who is going to spend their first year holding a clipboard, especially when he was likely to be there in the 2nd or third round. You take the best athlete available in the first and take a "prospect" like this later.

But don't worry, most Bills fans have probably already convinced themselves this was a brilliant pick instead of one that will ensure another year of fail.

the same scouts that have Blaine Gabbert high first round grades? Or how about Jamarcus Russell? Vince Young, Ryan Leaf, JP Losman, Rob Johnson, Mark Sanchez, etc... Could go on and on.

It's a crapshoot bro. Take who you think is the best at the position your looking for and that's it. You'll win some, you'll lose some. What gets me, is that EVERYONE HERE, without a doubt, thinks, knows that we need a QB. We finally take one with our first pick (first Tim since 1960), and people are complaining about it. Why is that? Because people want "their guy". And if its not "their guy" then the Bills obviously made a mistake. And of course since the Bills haven't made the playoffs, nor have they gambled right on a QB since Jim Kelly, its obvious that the chat room experts and so called "experts" on ESPN must be right.

At the end if the day, we needed a QB. We got the one we thought was the best one. Shouldn't matter if we reached. We still got the most important position on the field and we got the one we wanted all along. And on top of it, added an extra 2nd round pick.

People just need to quit bitching. It's getting annoying. If people don't like it, they can let the door hit em on the way out. There's plenty of other teams that constantly do well that are accepting bandwagon fans in a daily basis. This is a Bills message board. We just locked up the QB position more so than any in the past 20 or so years. Lets get a grip here.

I'm happy for you that you think all the Buffalo Bills fans prayers for a franchise QB have been answered by this choice.

Hated this pick. A team with desperate needs like the Bills shouldn't use their first pick on someone who is going to spend their first year holding a clipboard, especially when he was likely to be there in the 2nd or third round. You take the best athlete available in the first and take a "prospect" like this later.

But don't worry, most Bills fans have probably already convinced themselves this was a brilliant pick instead of one that will ensure another year of fail.

i loved this pick not because of who it was, but because of what they did. i was not as concerned with which qb they took as i was with them identifying their guy and grabbing him. i would have been fine with a qb at 8, but now i've seen the bills get the guy they wanted and pick up an additionion second which could end up being a starter or solid contributor. so i'm for the most part as happy as i could be after the first round, and anxiously awaiting the next!

Manuel was my first QB so i am happy with the pick.

And I totally understand why anyone may like a QB better than they like Manuel.

But i don't understand the criticism of what the Bills did. They had to get a QB in the first two rounds. There wasn't any QB worthy of the #8 by almost all accounts. We got an extra second round pick, in a deep draft, AND the guy we clearly wanted.

You can argue that you hate EJ or wanted Geno or Barkley or Nassib, even though no one else thought they were a first rounder, but it's hard to argue with what the Bills did to get what they wanted.

I'll go one step farther, Kelly -- it's completely illogical to argue with what they did. This front office did more work evaluating QBs than probably any team in the league. They did their homework. To be able to maneuver like they did, picking up a couple of extra picks, and still get their guy is something very few Bills fans thought this front office was capable of.

Debate the specific pick (Manuel) all you want -- you absolutely can't criticize the Bills' process and execution.

You seem to be determined to be miserable about the pick. Other scouts appear to have him rated higher, as it is believed the eagles and browns were targeting him in the 2nd.

Not miserable about the pick. To be honest I like this pick way more then I ever liked Cam Newton, simply because he doesn't have any of the bad history behind him like Newton did.

I watched him get drafted on the NFL network, and he was crying, stating he was so proud to be drafted by the Buffalo Bills.

Its not the QB choice with me, its where he was picked and "if" he will develop properly in Buffalo given the current state of the surrounding cast on offense.

It was embarrassing listening to the callers to Murph's draft show after the pick last night. Good grief, some Buffalonians are buffoons. Murph and Buscaglia were clearly annoyed with it, too.

I posted this in another thread, but it is absolutely impossible to logically argue with the Bills' process and execution of their plan last night. They did more research and in-person evaluation of QBs than probably any other team. They got two extra picks and still got their guy. Few thought this front office was capable of that kind of maneuvering. It was a joy to watch.

Gotta love the hindsight going on in this thread...

Here's a thought, if teams knew JJ Watt would be as good as he is, he wouldn't have made it to the Locker/Gabbert pick. So there's that.

Gotta love the hindsight going on in this thread...

Here's a thought, if teams knew JJ Watt would be as good as he is, he wouldn't have made it to the Locker/Gabbert pick. So there's that.

You are missing my point, yes it's hindsight but Watt went where he was should have and Locker/ Ponder went way before they should and Gabbert went about where he was supposed to at the time. I apologize for the hindsight but I'm only using it to prove that teams fall for the idea that if you don't have a QB and theres one you like, you need to take him as early as possible. There seems to be a trend of teams assuming that the best or next best QB available is the best player available and let their need cause them to fall in love with sub-par talent. Meanwhile better players fall to better teams and the rich get richer and the poor are stuck watching a sub par QB struggle on a bad team. As I said in another post why take EJ Manuel at 16 (whom Marrone says needs lots of work) if he can't even beat out Kevin Kolb in his rookie year. I want to see this team win and if they are going to take a QB in the first round he better be ready to play and not be a project with huge upside who might have been had later on. I want to also say that as hard as I've been on this pick I don't think Manuel is a bad pick I think its an irresponsible pick they paid to high a price for someone who is to too big of a risk. This is a luxury pick that should have been made by a good team looking to groom an heir apparent, I'm not making any friends with my opinions here and this isn't gonna help but this reminds me of the Aaron Maybin pick. A bad team taking a guy for his upside over his ability to contribute right away, teams don't get better that way.

Yeah, I think people are debating the pick itself.

Anyway, if the Bills were set on taking Manuel, why not trade out of the first round altogether? No one else was going to take this guy in the first. I think they blew an opportunity to pick up another higher 2nd rounder. Or take Eifert at 16 and Manuel in the 2nd

Edited by Mr. WEO