Reality Check,Taking a QB in Rd 1 doesn't make him more talented

I have a sense of dread today. I feel the Bills are going to reach in desperation for a QB in round 1.

I wish they would trade down if possible and get extra round 1 or 2 picks. Our holes are so numerous and there is so much talent at other positions of need in the 1st two rounds. Please make this team better. Kolb can take us to next year where our newly built team can grab a QB next year when there will actually be round 1 talent available. Give me a big WR (not Austin) in the first two rounds and a quality LB. A TE would be nice.

Grab a developmental QB after the first two rounds if you want to gamble, since all of them are mega gambles to become a real franchise QB. All have major flaws and are projects.

Be conservative and build the rest of the team of the future this year and get it done. No more gambles, no reaches, and take the closest to a sure pick on every early pick. Give me hope and don't waste yet another year rebuilding next year. BPA at positions of need at WR,TE,LB and OL in the early rounds.

I don't expect the playoffs this year. I just want to see a team that is competitive every game and makes it enjoyable to root for the Bills without having to wear rose colored fan blinders. No more teams that are an outright embarrassment like the team has been for the past decade. Give me a real Franchise QB next year when one is really available in round 1 to go with the rest of the winning team built for him this year.

Edited by simpleman

I'm the opposite. If the Bills do not draft a QB tonight, i will be furious. They've ignored the position for so long. Do something NOW! Hopefully they have a choice of QB's but it's possible that Jax, Cleve, Philly, Ariz and maybe even KC reach for QB's and leave the Bills with no choice but to draft another position?!? Should be interesting but i want a QB. If you like someone in 2014 then draft another one then. Don't bank on 2014 now.

If Barkley came out last year, there would have been debate about who would be the 2nd QB off the board, him or RG3. Seems silly now but it just as silly that a year later, MB is a bum.

I get your point but if you don't have a QB in this league, you're severely limited. IMO, I'd rather get a solid starting NFL QB in the 1st than an all pro guard. QB trumps everything.

If Barkley came out last year, there would have been debate about who would be the 2nd QB off the board, him or RG3. Seems silly now but it just as silly that a year later, MB is a bum.

I get your point but if you don't have a QB in this league, you're severely limited. IMO, I'd rather get a solid starting NFL QB in the 1st than an all pro guard. QB trumps everything.

Agree, CB, but none of the QBs are Luck, Manning, RG3. We are drafting high because we suck. Taking a flyer on a suspect prospect at 8 is why we're in this mess, IMO.

Agree, CB, but none of the QBs are Luck, Manning, RG3. We are drafting high because we suck. Taking a flyer on a suspect prospect at 8 is why we're in this mess, IMO.

When's the last QB we drafted in the top 10? We're in the mess because we don't do enough to address the most important position in football.

When's the last QB we drafted in the top 10? We're in the mess because we don't do enough to address the most important position in football.

no one remembers, but we were good w/o doing that too since Kelly was not top 10.

i think you could just as easily say the good teams do not reach. people say in retrospect no one would care if Kaepernick was a reach if you take him in the first now, but in that same retrospect they did exactly the right thing cuz he WAS there in round two, and they got Aldon Smith in round 1. do they make the SB w/o him? evaluate players correctly, and stick to it. Bills problem is they have not done that. If they did, they'd have Kaepernick instead of Aaron Williams, or Russell Wilson instead of TJ Graham.

That's true.. but Barkley was considered a top 5 talent only a year ago. Did he lose all of his talent in a year? I dont think so. Taking Russell Wilson in round 3 last year didn't make him less talented.

The truth is, it doesn't matter where you draft a QB if he can play. If the Bill's brass thinks one of these guys can play, I dont really care where we take him. I just hope they're right.

I have a different take on your position. What has sunk this franchise more than anything else is not being willing to take a risk on good qb prospects who have certain liabilities associated with them. Kaepernick, Dalton and Wilson were quality qb prospects who were far from being perfect prospects but should have been more seriously considered out of the first round. The players that Nix selected in the rounds that they could have been picked so far turned out to be inconsequential players compared to what could have been very good players at the most impactful position in the game.

You are absolutely right that none of the qbs in this draft are in the same category of Luck and RGIII. That will also be the case next year. And if there is a sterling qb or two in next year's draft odds are that we won't be in position to select one of them.

I have repeatedly stated (apologize for the irritiating repetition) that it is better to take a risk on a qb prospect and fail then not to take a risk on a qb prospect and lose out at the chance to get a capable qb. The Bills are in a desperate bind because of a risk adverse mindset of waiting for the unflawed qb. There aren't any in this draft. The John Elway and Luck type qbs come along once in a decade and sometimes generation.

Is Barkley or Nassib a Brees type qb or a Pennington type qb? Is EJ Manuel a qb with the most upside in this year's draft? You won't know unless you try. Trying and failing is certainly better than not trying and losing out.

I have a sense of dread today. I feel the Bills are going to reach in desperation for a QB in round 1.

I wish they would trade down if possible and get extra round 1 or 2 picks. Our holes are so numerous and there is so much talent at other positions of need in the 1st two rounds. Please make this team better. Kolb can take us to next year where our newly built team can grab a QB next year when there will actually be round 1 talent available. Give me a big WR (not Austin) in the first two rounds and a quality LB. A TE would be nice.

Grab a developmental QB after the first two rounds if you want to gamble, since all of them are mega gambles to become a real franchise QB. All have major flaws and are projects.

Be conservative and build the rest of the team of the future this year and get it done. No more gambles, no reaches, and take the closest to a sure pick on every early pick. Give me hope and don't waste yet another year rebuilding next year. BPA at positions of need at WR,TE,LB and OL in the early rounds.

I don't expect the playoffs this year. I just want to see a team that is competitive every game and makes it enjoyable to root for the Bills without having to wear rose colored fan blinders. No more teams that are an outright embarrassment like the team has been for the past decade. Give me a real Franchise QB next year when one is really available in round 1 to go with the rest of the winning team built for him this year.

This thinking is why the Bills suck. How do you KNOW these guys can't or won't be studs? You sit here and make this post based on talking heads from the Media. NOW is the time to take a QB and quit screwing around!

Not drafting a QB is why we're in this mess right now. They had several opportunities in the past to draft QBs early, and passed for whatever reason.

Now, we are in a position where we are expected to draft a QB. Whose to say that the QBs are going to be better next year? What if we pass on one of these "Mediocre" QBs in this draft and they go on to become a perennial Pro-Bowler?

I have a different take on your position. What has sunk this franchise more than anything else is not being willing to take a risk on good qb prospects who have certain liabilities associated with them. Kaepernick, Dalton and Wilson were quality qb prospects who were far from being perfect prospects but should have been more seriously considered out of the first round. The players that Nix selected in the rounds that they could have been picked so far turned out to be inconsequential players compared to what could have been very good players at the most impactful position in the game.

You are absolutely right that none of the qbs in this draft are in the same category of Luck and RGIII. That will also be the case next year. And if there is a sterling qb or two in next year's draft odds are that we won't be in position to select one of them.

I have repeatedly stated (apologize for the irritiating repetition) that it is better to take a risk on a qb prospect and fail then not to take a risk on a qb prospect and lose out at the chance to get a capable qb. The Bills are in a desperate bind because of a risk adverse mindset of waiting for the unflawed qb. There aren't any in this draft. The John Elway and Luck type qbs come along once in a decade and sometimes generation.

Is Barkley or Nassib a Brees type qb or a Pennington type qb? Is EJ Manuel a qb with the most upside in this year's draft? You won't know unless you try. Trying and failing is certainly better than not trying and losing out.

Exactly. Plus with the new rookie salary cap, it is much easier to move on from a QB. I guarantee if Bradford made less money, the Rams would have looked harder at drafting RG3.

I'm obviously joking a bit, but I won't have a problem with the Bills spending their 3 1st rounders on a Qb until they find one. The Colts went to the playoffs every year with PM. He misses a year, they go 2-14. The Bills go between 6-10 and 7-9 with JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and RF. A good Qb makes every other player look better.

This thinking is why the Bills suck. How do you KNOW these guys can't or won't be studs? You sit here and make this post based on talking heads from the Media. NOW is the time to take a QB and quit screwing around!

:thumbsup:

My point to those that are desperate to get a QB with a first is that they need to understand the difference between desperation and inspiration. Acts of desperation often end up making a bad situation worse. Acts of inspiration can find solutions to bad situations. Selecting a flawed QB in round one when all the available QBs are considered flawed is pure desperation, not inspiration.

My point to those that are desperate to get a QB with a first is that they need to understand the difference between desperation and inspiration. Acts of desperation often end up making a bad situation worse. Acts of inspiration can find solutions to bad situations. Selecting a flawed QB in round one when all the available QBs are considered flawed is pure desperation, not inspiration.

This isn't art, there is no inspiration. We ARE Desperate, any team without a QB is desperate. And Again answer for me this, who convinced you these guys are so bad none of them at #8 can be a franchise QB? Coming out Capernick, Dalton, Wilson all were not more highly regarded than these guys coming out. ALL of those guys had big ? on them or they would have been high draft picks. Hell Drew Brees lasted till the start of the 2nd round. You think if teams would have known then that these percieved flaws he had were bull **** and he turn into the QB he turned into, he would have not been considered or taken #1 overall.

Let me help you, the MEDIA doesn't know ****. Teams have scouting departments because they are needed. No one guy, Kiper, Mayock etal is going to be able to ever scout players as well as NFL scouting departments. BTW Kiper, Mayock all said Gabbert was going to be a stud, oops! They said Jamarcus Russell would be one of the greatest ever...ooops! 'Experts' Knocked Payton Manning saying weak arm and on and on and on. These guys are there for entertainment and that is it period. I will say it again, if any of them were worth a damn they would be making millions for an NFL Team. NONE turn to them for advice.

Let me ask you this. IF you knew Capernick or Wilson were going to be what they became, would you have taken them with the Bills first round pick in those drafts? The answer should be YES! That said, take the QB you feel best about in round 1 and quit missing on guys that could be the franchise guy because you are afraid and listen to clowns on ESPN and NFLN

Picking a QB this year is like buying $20 worth of lottery tickets every week hoping to score the million dollar winner when your kids are going hungry and have holes in their shoes. I would rather take that $20 and feed my kids and get them new shoes than gamble on the fantasy of the big win. The Bills are a team that has kids going hungry and that have holes in their shoes. Fix the team now instead of gambling away the future on the fantasy.

IMO, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are legit 1st round QBs. IF you blind resume-d their careers with other 1st round QBs in the last 10 years, they would stack up very well.

the QB's in this draft are NOT mega-gambles, and the majority will be snatched up in 2 rounds, with the top choices going before the bills 2nd rd pick

They all have a question mark, but that has been over analyzed. IMO this draft will produce a few long term NFL QB's.

in fact because of Luck Griffin 3 last year everyone has over scrutinized these QB's and perceived a "Mega Gamble" attitude.

Edited by shibuya

This isn't art, there is no inspiration. We ARE Desperate, any team without a QB is desperate. And Again answer for me this, who convinced you these guys are so bad none of them at #8 can be a franchise QB? Coming out Capernick, Dalton, Wilson all were not more highly regarded than these guys coming out. ALL of those guys had big ? on them or they would have been high draft picks. Hell Drew Brees lasted till the start of the 2nd round. You think if teams would have known then that these percieved flaws he had were bull **** and he turn into the QB he turned into, he would have not been considered or taken #1 overall.

Let me help you, the MEDIA doesn't know ****. Teams have scouting departments because they are needed. No one guy, Kiper, Mayock etal is going to be able to ever scout players as well as NFL scouting departments. BTW Kiper, Mayock all said Gabbert was going to be a stud, oops! They said Jamarcus Russell would be one of the greatest ever...ooops! 'Experts' Knocked Payton Manning saying weak arm and on and on and on. These guys are there for entertainment and that is it period. I will say it again, if any of them were worth a damn they would be making millions for an NFL Team. NONE turn to them for advice.

Let me ask you this. IF you knew Capernick or Wilson were going to be what they became, would you have taken them with the Bills first round pick in those drafts? The answer should be YES! That said, take the QB you feel best about in round 1 and quit missing on guys that could be the franchise guy because you are afraid and listen to clowns on ESPN and NFLN

No no no... Bills not picking those guys in rounds 2 or 3 was the bad move. Not taking them in round 1 was the RIGHT move. If the Bengals take Dalton in round 1, they don't get AJ Green!! And then Dalton sux and don't make the playoffs and they look stupid and draft a new QB. If SD drafts Brees in top 5, they don't get Ladanian Tomlinson... and would proceed to suck. Kaepernick in first and they don't get Aldon Smith. Those teams were smart taking QB at value spots, not for reaching, and allowing themselves to put talent around that QB.

If there is THE GUY take him, but if you feel yer just taking a chance, take him in the 2nd.

Edited by Brainiac21

Exactly. Plus with the new rookie salary cap, it is much easier to move on from a QB. I guarantee if Bradford made less money, the Rams would have looked harder at drafting RG3.

I'm obviously joking a bit, but I won't have a problem with the Bills spending their 3 1st rounders on a Qb until they find one. The Colts went to the playoffs every year with PM. He misses a year, they go 2-14. The Bills go between 6-10 and 7-9 with JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and RF. A good Qb makes every other player look better.

What makes this year's draft very challenging for the Bills in their pursuit of a qb prospect is not the interest in them in the first round but the interest in them in the second round. There are at least four teams or more (other teams moving up in the second round) who will be honing in on the same qb prospects, So if you don't reach in the first round then there is a good probability that your wait strategy will result in your preferred qb prospect being off the board.

In hindsight would it have been a bad approach if the Bills reached on a Kaepernick, Wilson, Dalton or Brees in the first round and found their franchise qb or continue on their self-defeating conventional approach of following their board and taking less important position players and ultimately lesster talented players. Go back and review who we took instead of who we could have taken. Instead of having the most important position settled we continue on this never ending quest to nowhere.

If the Bills take Barkley with their first pick at the eight spot the organization is going to be lambasted by the critics. So what! It's time this archaic organization exhibited some intestinal fortitude and do what it needs to do to become a relevant franchise in the NFL. Until the qb position is staffed by a capable talent this team will continue to be irrelevant and boring.

Outstanding post.

Picking a QB this year is like buying $20 worth of lottery tickets every week hoping to score the million dollar winner when your kids are going hungry and have holes in their shoes. I would rather take that $20 and feed my kids and get them new shoes than gamble on the fantasy of the big win. The Bills are a team that has kids going hungry and that have holes in their shoes. Fix the team now instead of gambling away the future on the fantasy.

Bull crap. There is no other way to say it considering how off your post is. But then again there is no talking to you because you pray at the altar of ESPN and NFLN And any other media outlet.

You are astute! :thumbsup:

A year later he has been exposed as just not that good and injury-prone on top of that... add in the history of USC QBs and it's not a miracle he has slid... Jake Locker was hyped much the same way and came back as well.... I'm not overly impressed with him as a pro so far either.

A year later he has been exposed as just not that good and injury-prone on top of that... add in the history of USC QBs and it's not a miracle he has slid... Jake Locker was hyped much the same way and came back as well.... I'm not overly impressed with him as a pro so far either.

1) He missed 4 games in 4 years as a starting QB!!! How is that injury plague? Tom Brady and Manning missed entire years. I guess they are injury plague too.

2) The QB everyone talks about waiting for is Johnny Football. Barkley lost a very good LT this year. Guess what Johnny Football is losing? That's why I hate the wait for next year approach.

3) There is 0 comparison between Locker and Barkley. None. Locker completed 54% of his passes and had a 53-35 td to int ratio. His season high in tds was 21. Barkley is a bum because he threw 36 tds while missing 2 games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Locker

I don't think that is true at all. A bunch of people are saying that. But Barkley didn't have to go through the scrutiny of scouts and draftniks breaking down his game to game tape and picking on his play and they would have come to the same conclusion about his arm and mobility. He MAY have gone before Tannehill but probably not because of the Sherman connection.

Credible source says OL/LB top of the board if they can trade out..... :flirt:

That will help ensure another 5-6 win season

1) He missed 4 games in 4 years as a starting QB!!! How is that injury plague? Tom Brady and Manning missed entire years. I guess they are injury plague too.

2) The QB everyone talks about waiting for is Johnny Football. Barkley lost a very good LT this year. Guess what Johnny Football is losing? That's why I hate the wait for next year approach.

3) There is 0 comparison between Locker and Barkley. None. Locker completed 54% of his passes and had a 53-35 td to int ratio. His season high in tds was 21. Barkley is a bum because he threw 36 tds while missing 2 games. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Jake_Locker

Good post. And Johny Football is going to get exposed this year, plus his attitude and lack of maturity really bothers me

That's true.. but Barkley was considered a top 5 talent only a year ago. Did he lose all of his talent in a year? I dont think so. Taking Russell Wilson in round 3 last year didn't make him less talented.

The truth is, it doesn't matter where you draft a QB if he can play. If the Bill's brass thinks one of these guys can play, I dont really care where we take him. I just hope they're right.

I agree. I hope they are right, but I see the Bills taking the WRONG QB at 8. Mark it. Like the OP said, taking a QB high, (Blane Gabbert, Ponder anyone) does not make them a better player. I like plenty of the QB's in the later rounds, and hope they will take one then. I think any of these are equivalent QB's: Nassib, Smith, Barkley, Dysert. One of them will be around in rd. 2 or 3. In fact, I'd go Warmack, Woods, then QB. Give the QB some protection and weapons. Heck, with protection and weapons I'm not yet ready to write off Kolb.

3) There is 0 comparison between Locker and Barkley. None. Locker completed 54% of his passes and had a 53-35 td to int ratio. His season high in tds was 21. Barkley is a bum because he threw 36 tds while missing 2 games. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Jake_Locker

Don't be blind

I don't care about # of games missed - I care about what the injury was... He had a season ending shoulder injury on his throwing shoulder - torn ligaments thus putting him at risk for re-injury.. if that happens week 1 he is out for the season.. so your point of # of games is meaningless.

I was simply comparing Locker decision to come back to Barkley's and how in both cases - their stock fell pretty hard. Barkley will slide in this draft.

Also, you freak because I compared him to Locker, but yet you compare him to Brady and Manning... gg dude.

Edited by kobe808lak

Taking a QB in the first round when you could have got him in the 2nd-6th rounds is stupid, but that's the Bills' way. Panic city, USA.

Do you really think you, or anyone in the world, can accurately pick who will be available when you draft in the 2nd or 3rd round, let alone 4-6? Not to mention that you have about a 2% chance of getting a franchise QB in rounds 3-6.

Do you really think you, or anyone in the world, can accurately pick who will be available when you draft in the 2nd or 3rd round, let alone 4-6? Not to mention that you have about a 2% chance of getting a franchise QB in rounds 3-6.

They are basically interchangeable and only one or two will be picked by 41, so why spend a first round pick on somebody (or his equivalent) you can later? If you agree with Nix that there are several franchise QBs in this draft, you are just kidding yourself.

(Now I must admit, if he reached for Manuel at 8, I wouldn't blame him. Anyone else would be panicking.)

They are basically interchangeable and only one or two will be picked by 41, so why spend a first round pick on somebody (or his equivalent) you can later? If you agree with Nix that there are several franchise QBs in this draft, you are just kidding yourself.

(Now I must admit, if he reached for Manuel at 8, I wouldn't blame him. Anyone else would be panicking.)

Let's bet that three or more QBs will be taken before the #41 pick the Bills have in round two. I'll take that there will be three or more, for any amount of money.

Don't be blind

I don't care about # of games missed - I care about what the injury was... He had a season ending shoulder injury on his throwing shoulder - torn ligaments thus putting him at risk for re-injury.. if that happens week 1 he is out for the season.. so your point of # of games is meaningless.

I was simply comparing Locker decision to come back to Barkley's and how in both cases - their stock fell pretty hard. Barkley will slide in this draft.

Also, you freak because I compared him to Locker, but yet you compare him to Brady and Manning... gg dude.

The question is, why did Barkley's stock slide and is it rational?

His production was there in his senior season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/480322/matt-barkley

Is he being punished for USC's poorer record in 2012? How much of that is on his play rather than depleted talent after the 2011 draft and the loss of scholarships? Were Barkley a stock, solid value move in my opinion.

No no no... Bills not picking those guys in rounds 2 or 3 was the bad move. Not taking them in round 1 was the RIGHT move. If the Bengals take Dalton in round 1, they don't get AJ Green!! And then Dalton sux and don't make the playoffs and they look stupid and draft a new QB. If SD drafts Brees in top 5, they don't get Ladanian Tomlinson... and would proceed to suck. Kaepernick in first and they don't get Aldon Smith. Those teams were smart taking QB at value spots, not for reaching, and allowing themselves to put talent around that QB.

If there is THE GUY take him, but if you feel yer just taking a chance, take him in the 2nd.

Wow, thanks...you expressed perfectly what I've been stumbling over in convos with fellow-Bills-fan friends -- my issues with this whole mentality of a team having to take a QB in first round if they need one. Nicely done!

Wow, thanks...you expressed perfectly what I've been stumbling over in convos with fellow-Bills-fan friends -- my issues with this whole mentality of a team having to take a QB in first round if they need one. Nicely done!

thanks.. unfortunately it's probably a losing battle here. if you love a QB, and feel really sure about him, this isn't an issue. but taking a chance on someone at expense of someone that is more of sure thing isn't the way to build.

i want one too but EVALUATING the QB's, and the other players, properly is the key... not just taking one.

thanks.. unfortunately it's probably a losing battle here. if you love a QB, and feel really sure about him, this isn't an issue. but taking a chance on someone at expense of someone that is more of sure thing isn't the way to build.

i want one too but EVALUATING the QB's, and the other players, properly is the key... not just taking one.

That's very true. They made the right evaluation, had the guts to make the choice, and pretty much lucked out that their hunch proved correct. If they really knew, all of their other picks would be right on the money, too. The problem is, you cannot trust the other teams ahead of you to not think the same about those players as you do. So if, say, you knew Kap was going to be Kap, you could never ever wait until the 2nd to take him,

Ultimately, however, you are right. It doesn't matter where you draft players, you have to make the right evaluations and selections. It just gets exponentially harder to hit on those QBs after the top of the first round.

I'm the opposite. If the Bills do not draft a QB tonight, i will be furious. They've ignored the position for so long. Do something NOW! Hopefully they have a choice of QB's but it's possible that Jax, Cleve, Philly, Ariz and maybe even KC reach for QB's and leave the Bills with no choice but to draft another position?!? Should be interesting but i want a QB. If you like someone in 2014 then draft another one then. Don't bank on 2014 now.

I want them to draft a QB, but is drafting a QB because they failed to address in the past a good idea? Drafting a QB to draft a QB, seems like a poor reason.

Would you still want them to do something NOW, if you you were blessed with clairvoyance and knew the QB they selected was going to a middling quasi starter?

That's very true. They made the right evaluation, had the guts to make the choice, and pretty much lucked out that their hunch proved correct. If they really knew, all of their other picks would be right on the money, too. The problem is, you cannot trust the other teams ahead of you to not think the same about those players as you do. So if, say, you knew Kap was going to be Kap, you could never ever wait until the 2nd to take him,

Ultimately, however, you are right. It doesn't matter where you draft players, you have to make the right evaluations and selections. It just gets exponentially harder to hit on those QBs after the top of the first round.

But going back to my Dalton example, where would he be without them also taking AJ Green in the first? Maybe nowhere, maybe looking like a bust. They were much better off doing what they did, rather than taking Dalton in 1st and then some 2nd round WR.

The Bills mistakes were not rating Kaep higher than Aaron W., and not having R.Wilson higher than TJ, etc.. or maybe just overvaluing Fitz. if you can't evaluate players/QB's, then ok... i guess you might want to go ahead and take 'em way early, but i also think then it really doesn't matter in that case, yer probably going to stink anyway.