I worry we take a QB @ 8 just to placate fans

My biggest fear is we pass on a franchise-caliber player at another position at 8 just to pick a QB so fans don't revolt. I don't think any QB this draft is going to be what we want in the long run, and we will still need another QB in 2 years.

Anyone feel the same way?

PTR

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I would love to see the Bills grab Patterson or Austin with #8, and then, if they have to, trade up to the late first round for their QB...but only if they truly think somebody is worth it. We have been watching sub-par QB'ing for 12+ years now, what is another year?

Yes. Its an unfortunate position that Buddy has put us in passing on Much better QB options in the past few drafts. I agree with you 100%

It almost feels like a punishment for passing on a qb for the last 3 years. There is a good amount of "Experts" out there that have nothing but negative things to say about this qb class.

Edited by Don't stop billievein

First I don't think fans will revolt at all considering this years QB class. I don't think even 25% of the fans could agree on one guy being the guy we should take at 8 now that it is this close to the draft and everyone has had time to read and watch and think about it.

Second I think Nix is far too stubborn to let that happen.

No.

With the new rookie wage scale, we can draft one in the first round every year until we find one.

There's no point in shoring up this or that position without a QB. You simply MUST have a good one.

Once we find one, two things will happen. (1) the team will be better on both sides of the ball. (2) Then, when you are close to making a run, and 1 or 2 players away, you can spend your first round pick on a non-QB. Until then, you must find a QB at all costs. Dont gamble on waiting until round two.

If there's a guy you think is a franchise QB in this draft, take him at 8 and never look back. If there's a guy you think MIGHT be a franchise QB in this draft, take him at 8 and never look back.

Edited by maddenboy

Until we find a QB we are going nowhere. You won't get a good one in FA, unless there is a huge risk involved. The only way to get one is the draft and we must not rest until we find one.

And what exactly does that have to do with this thread? I think pretty much everyone thinks we need to draft a QB and wants us to pretty high.

Agreed. No one in this QB crop is worthy of a top 10 pick, IMO.

Now Manuel, Nassib or any other QB at #41, that's the ticket. If the guy develops, we're set for the next four years. And if he doesn't, we're probably not in rebuilding mode again in 2016...

And what exactly does that have to do with this thread? I think pretty much everyone thinks we need to draft a QB and wants us to pretty high.

They did their due dilligence with every single QB prospect this year, so if they take one with the first round pick I can't say they didn't do their homework and drafted one just to placate fans.

Until we find a QB we are going nowhere. You won't get a good one in FA, unless there is a huge risk involved. The only way to get one is the draft and we must not rest until we find one.

This is exactly the point of Promo's thread.

No question, we need a franchise QB. But elevating any of the questionable prospects in this year's QB class into a top 10 pick is like hoping the sow's ear will turn into gold THIS time, even if it didn't that last hundred. That's a pretty poor bet...

I haven't seen this theory yet, so.....Bills don't draft Nassib in the first round. He falls to second round. Bills still don't draft him. Teams assume Marrone knows something about him they don't. So he falls to 3rd or 4th round.

No.

With the new rookie wage scale, we can draft one in the first round every year until we find one.

There's no point in shoring up this or that position without a QB. You simply MUST have a good one.

Once we find one, two things will happen. (1) the team will be better on both sides of the ball. (2) Then, when you are close to making a run, and 1 or 2 players away, you can spend your first round pick on a non-QB. Until then, you must find a QB at all costs. Dont gamble on waiting until round two.

If there's a guy you think is a franchise QB in this draft, take him at 8 and never look back. If there's a guy you think MIGHT be a franchise QB in this draft, take him at 8 and never look back.

Exactly. If they take a qb at 8, its because they think he can be a franchise qb. If they dont take a qb at 8, its because they dont feel there is one. But Nix has already come out and said there are 2 or 3. So my guess is, the Bills will be taking a QB at 8. If they miss, so what? We've missed on a lot of players in the draft before. The one player you cant pick up in free agency is a franchise qb. You can address every other position in FA. Only place to get a franchise qb is through the draft. This is mind boggling to me that fans dont even want this team to attempt to get a QB that might work out to be a franchise qb.

This is exactly the point of Promo's thread.

No question, we need a franchise QB. But elevating any of the questionable prospects in this year's QB class into a top 10 pick is like hoping the sow's ear will turn into gold THIS time, even if it didn't that last hundred. That's a pretty poor bet...

I see that I made a very general and vague point in my first post, I apologize for it. With that said. as a fan I will be ten times more excited to see a young QB than if we draft any other position on the field.

We need to change the strategy and this is the time to do it, as maddenboy said a couple of posts above, the system is in now in place (rookie scale) to be more pro-active finding our QB.

My biggest fear is we pass on a franchise-caliber player at another position at 8 just to pick a QB so fans don't revolt. I don't think any QB this draft is going to be what we want in the long run, and we will still need another QB in 2 years.

PTR

Worried about a franchise caliber player? There are no such things other than QB. That is a term reserved for QB's.

That said who in the draft are we going to take at #8 that will get us in the playoffs THIS year? Outside of QB there is no one. There is not one single player outside of a QB that can make that difference in the NFL any longer or Mario Williams would have had us there.

We drafted these 'Franchise players' as you call them in Spiller, Dareus and Gillmore. Guess what? Still drafting in the top 10 and still no playoffs. Until we draft a true franchise QB this will not change. Not with Kolb, not with TJack, or anyone else signed off the street unless Bob Kraft goes crazy and cuts Tom Brady.

So who is this superstar franchise guy at #8 that is must have in your opinion? In mine there aren't any in this draft. it is not a high end draft, it is a deep draft. On a scale of 1-10 talent wise there are no 10's EVERY prospect seems to have issues. I would say its two rounds deep of 8's and 7's and then 7-5's for another couple rounds. Very deep, but no real top end.

Also Nix isn't going to take a QB at #8 that he doesnt feel will be 'the guy' just to placate fans. See Buffalo fans flock to the stadium even if this team sucks and Ralph wilson knows this and has always bet on that with his crappy hires. But Buddy Nix has a huge ego and he will be damned if he is going to say 'here is the guy' and the guy flat out suck.

My Guess right now is they accept less than normal and trade down. Buddy wants his picks back.

Exactly. If they take a qb at 8, its because they think he can be a franchise qb. If they dont take a qb at 8, its because they dont feel there is one. But Nix has already come out and said there are 2 or 3. So my guess is, the Bills will be taking a QB at 8. If they miss, so what? We've missed on a lot of players in the draft before. The one player you cant pick up in free agency is a franchise qb. You can address every other position in FA. Only place to get a franchise qb is through the draft. This is mind boggling to me that fans dont even want this team to attempt to get a QB that might work out to be a franchise qb.

^^

This right here is a damn good post.

Exactly. If they take a qb at 8, its because they think he can be a franchise qb. If they dont take a qb at 8, its because they dont feel there is one.

The problem for the last few years is that our front office does not know how to evaluate QBs. If they did, they would have taken Kaep, Wilson, etc. So, this time, they should admit that they suck at evaluating QB talent and potential. In life, when you suck at something, the first step to fixing the problem is admitting it.

Hire a consultant. Give the reigns to Whaley. Let the coach pick one. Do something different in your evaluation of QBs. But get one. At #8 please.

to promos query.

I feel we did that with Mario.

The payoff was not as we hoped. Mighta sold tickets for Russ.

But i dont feel thats where the Bills are at from a business standpoint.

Call me fan boy but i think these guys aren't f'n around this time.

They appear at least half smart and serious.

damned good question really. A lot of pressure to get the qb. alot.

I noted this in another thread, but for what it's worth, the annual GM mock draft, done by a collection of pundits each acting on behalf of one given team, has the Bills trading their #8 pick for Atlanta's #30 (1st), #60 (2nd) and a 1st and 4th round pick in 2014; and STILL drafting Barkley with the 30th pick in the 1st round. Needless to say, this is a dream scenario, but Atlanta has shown that they're willing to empty the cupboard to move up-- here's hoping that Buddy's eagerness doesn't keep him from getting this kind of value from a willing trade partner (who, I promise, won't OPEN the negotiations with this many picks).

PTR

Ditto! That's the same thing I see.