Bills already making calls to TRADE DOWN

I just got out of an interesting meeting with some guys that lets just say are fairly familar with the Bills. Out of the one gentlemens mouth & I quote "There is a real power struggle going on, Marrone wants his boy Nassib, Buddy is really bit in the ass over (wait for several posters to jump off the bridge) Landry Jones." I can't see them taking Jones with a 1st round pick(doesn't he have a 3rd round grade) Maybe Nix will take Jones with our 2nd & take Millner/Austin/one of the LBs with our first round pick. Take it for what it is worth, which is not a hell of alot. Just thought I would share.

What kind of mickey mouse organization would still vest that much personnel decisions in Buddy Nix?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who shudders when they hear "Nix" and "phone calls?" Dear god, someone give him a caller ID. I want him speaking to real GMs only!

Buddy: Hello

other person on phone: This is Thomas Dimitroff with the Atlanta Falcons

Buddy: The Atlanta who?

TD: Falcons, we are in the NFC South

Buddy: I get all confused with where teams are since this merger

TD: (chuckles uncomfortably)

Buddy: What can I do ya for?

TD: I was wondering what it would take to trade up to 8?

Buddy: Well, hell we aint got no QB what about that guy you guys got?

TD: Matt Ryan for the 8th pick (annoyed)?!?

Buddy: No not him

TD: McCown?!?

Buddy: That's the guy!! How does 8 and 41 sound for that McCown kid?

TD: It would sound like a good deal on our end if I was a GM and not a 20 year-old phys ed major at Brockport.

....and scene

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It is easy to get hooked on Landry's career, but there are some pretty large concerns. in fact similar concerns I think. I heard Pat Kirwan, former(i know former) GM, grade Nassib as a 3rd-4th at best, and would be lucky to become a career backup. Then some have him as the top prospect. McNabb said that people are willing to take a chance because nobody really knows what he is capable of, he is one large question mark, with some upside, and a little talent in a lot of places. Every QB scares me in this draft, and I am terrified of them all.

If this is true, and Marrone hangs his first head NFL job on his questionable QB, then it will either make or break his career. He either has the ability to identify, find, and cultivate talent, or he doesn't. For this reason if I were Marrone I would stay away from Nassib, the risk of failure with that decision far out weighs the gains if he is successful I think.

You are terrified of them all because the talking heads told you to be. Before his TEAM had a ****ty season and he hurt his shoulder, Barkley was hands down THE pick for #1 overall going into this season. And media and fans let one off season or an injury change their minds? Geno Smith wasn't anyone till he had that one huge game this last year. Then he crapped the bed esp. in cold weather the rest of the season, but he is some great stud?

Landry Jones has two issues, #1 I don't think he cares about Football. He would rather be a preacher and he stayed in school last year and bypassed the draft because his GF/Fiance stayed in school at OU. To me that isn't a guy I want QB'ing my team. Second he reads half the field then craps the bed. He will go play side and if the #1 or #2 WR isn't open he hardly ever goes to the other half of the field. The guy is at best a career backup

Buddy: Hello

other person on phone: This is Thomas Dimitroff with the Atlanta Falcons

Buddy: The Atlanta who?

TD: Falcons, we are in the NFC South

Buddy: I get all confused with where teams are since this merger

TD: (chuckles uncomfortably)

Buddy: What can I do ya for?

TD: I was wondering what it would take to trade up to 8?

Buddy: Well, hell we aint got no QB what about that guy you guys got?

TD: Matt Ryan for the 8th pick (annoyed)?!?

Buddy: No not him

TD: McCown?!?

Buddy: That's the guy!! How does 8 and 41 sound for that McCown kid?

TD: It would sound like a good deal on our end if I was a GM and not a 20 year-old phys ed major at Brockport.

....and scene

+1

I just got out of an interesting meeting with some guys that lets just say are fairly familar with the Bills. Out of the one gentlemens mouth & I quote "There is a real power struggle going on, Marrone wants his boy Nassib, Buddy is really bit in the ass over (wait for several posters to jump off the bridge) Landry Jones." I can't see them taking Jones with a 1st round pick(doesn't he have a 3rd round grade) Maybe Nix will take Jones with our 2nd & take Millner/Austin/one of the LBs with our first round pick. Take it for what it is worth, which is not a hell of alot. Just thought I would share.

Oh good God...If they take Jones I'm looking for the nearest bridge... :lol:

I'm not even 100% sure why, but Jones seems to me to be a guy that is going to crumble under NFL pressure...I might be wrong, but there's just something about him I don't like...It's interesting because I had not read Russ Lande's report on Jones before I was writing this...I went and read it and Lande commented in his summary that even though Jones charts out as a high 2nd Round pick he's not high on his potential as an NFL starter...And that's exactly how I see Jones...I realize he has some really good attributes...But there's just something about him overall I don't like... B-)

What kind of mickey mouse organization would still vest that much personnel decisions in Buddy Nix?

It's interesting...I was saying after Brandon's Presser way back that the Bills were giving zero indication that Buddy was on his way out...Yet there were, and still are, tons of assumptions that Buddy was simply going to assist in this Draft then fade into the sunset...On the surface that looks to be very far from the truth does it not?...I think Brandon's comment about Buddy being 100% in charge of the Football operation still holds true...And I really don't think that's a good thing for any Bills fan... B-)

Wouldn't Landry Jones just really not surprise anyone around here? I would be like, "that's about right". It is pretty furstrating that that is the kind of move that we have come to expect. Do you think that Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh or Kevin Colbert and MIke Tomlin would ever be engaged in a battle over whether or not to select Landry Jones?!?

It's interesting...I was saying after Brandon's Presser way back that the Bills were giving zero indication that Buddy was on his way out...Yet there were, and still are, tons of assumptions that Buddy was simply going to assist in this Draft then fade into the sunset...On the surface that looks to be very far from the truth does it not?...I think Brandon's comment about Buddy being 100% in charge of the Football operation still holds true...And I really don't think that's a good thing for any Bills fan... B-)

Yeah, I'm one of those who was convinced that Buddy would ease more into a head scout's role by the draft. Certainly doesn't inspire any confidence in this draft, especially with news coming out that there's a tug of war on the critical QB position.

Listening to that interview was infuriating.

You are terrified of them all because the talking heads told you to be. Before his TEAM had a ****ty season and he hurt his shoulder, Barkley was hands down THE pick for #1 overall going into this season. And media and fans let one off season or an injury change their minds? Geno Smith wasn't anyone till he had that one huge game this last year. Then he crapped the bed esp. in cold weather the rest of the season, but he is some great stud?

Landry Jones has two issues, #1 I don't think he cares about Football. He would rather be a preacher and he stayed in school last year and bypassed the draft because his GF/Fiance stayed in school at OU. To me that isn't a guy I want QB'ing my team. Second he reads half the field then craps the bed. He will go play side and if the #1 or #2 WR isn't open he hardly ever goes to the other half of the field. The guy is at best a career backup

Agreed on all accounts. I would be comfortable with Barkley in the 1st just because of his history and prior draft status. Guys like that generally don't waiver that far in skill year to year to drop him out of the first. It doesn't mean that the shoulder issue isn't a concern, and he still has the arm to make the throws. The rest scare the crap out of me with huge bust potential as well as huge boom potential. I am not sure Barkley will be the best in the class, but he is most worthy of a top pick.

perhaps the Steelers? They could be coveting a WR after loosing Wallace, or Mingo or a top safety to improve their suddenly suspect D.

If they draft Landry Jones before the 6th round I will loose it. He is terrible. I'd be okay with about 1/2 of this years so-called average class (Wilson, Nassib, Manuel, Dysert, Barkley--in no particular order), but watch Nix take Jones in the first.

Edited by RyanC883

FYI: http://www.sports-re...ry-jones-1.html

Overall, in the games Jones started, the Sooners went 40-12. In his four years, they finished 35th, 6th, 16th, and 15th in the final AP poll. He was not supposed to be the starter in his freshman year, but took over when Sam Bradford got hurt. In his final three years, Jones averaged 32 TDs, 13 INTs, 4483 yards, and a completion rate of ~65 percent.

Barkley's stats are remarkably similar. In the games he started, his team went 34-15. http://www.sports-re...-barkley-1.html

My question is as follows: Are the critics of Landry simply following a herd mentality? That is, because McShay/Kiper et al. have him rated as a lesser prospect, does that mean they're right and that we should simply follow their thinking? Does anyone here have a truly educated opinion?

I didn't watch any OK games so I have no idea as to whether he's any good. Statistically speaking, he seems to be quite good -- as good as Barkley. He also apparently has better physical attributes than Barkley.

Edited by dave mcbride

All of these QBs scare me at 8.

As for Landry Jones, it kind of would depend on when they took him. As a mid round pick, I would not be upset.

If the Bills stick to what I presume their board is, they will not be taking a QB at 8. Having said that, I can see them reaching for one of these guys given all of the hysteria on WGR and the Buffalo News and some of the vocal fans.

One thing I know, whatever they do, they are going to be criticized. If they do not take a QB with the 8th pick, Howard Simon, Jeremy White, and Jerry Sullivan might spontaneously combust.

If they do take a QB, they will be criticized for reaching and/or taking the wrong one. For example, if they take Barkley, I am sure that all the Cuse guys and the guys who love to hate USC (and USC QBs) will whinge.

Man, whatever they do, I just hope it works out for us. My own preference is that the Bills stick to their board and/or trade back (if they can get good value). If the Bills have some confidence in Kolb, he gives them the luxury of not having to reach.

Having said all that, Barkley intrigues me. He may have the most QB smarts. Nassib also seems like a football player with some smarts. Both guys impressed me on the Gruden QB camp. They also have their presumed deficiencies. Jones seemed ok as well. Geno scares me. If they pick him, I hope they are confident he can run a pro offense and some of these rumors are dead wrong.

This is a tough draft to evaluate. I do not envy Buddy or whoever is going to have to pull the trigger. I also think it is going to be a long, stressful wait between the 8th pick (if we stay there) on Thursday and our second round pick on Friday.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

Buddy must be serious about getting that 7th rounder back...

It really seems to be bothering him, I agree.

:)

Gruden's take on Landry Jones http://profootballta...ed-at-oklahoma/

I didn't see all the Gruden QB Camp episodes but Landry Jones was pretty impressive.

Oh good God...If they take Jones I'm looking for the nearest bridge...

I thought we all agreed we were jumping off houses this year.

All of these QBs scare me at 8.

As for Landry Jones, it kind of would depend on when they took him. As a mid round pick, I would not be upset.

QFT

While reading Kirby Jackson's humorous scene I was reminded of the Buddy Nix-Mark Dominick phone call.

The "Gordio Scenario" is very plausible IMO because Nix expressed in that call that he was dissatisfied with the QB prospects this year. I can well imagine a split opinion in the Bills camp.

Also the Bills did their due diligence on a bunch of QBs, some not expected to be drafted until the 3rd, 4th rounds.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the Bills don't go high at QB.

For what it's worth, the annual GM Mock Draft, done by a collection of pundits each acting on behalf of one given team, has the Bills trading their #8 pick for Atlanta's #30 (1st), #60 (2nd) and a 1st and 4th round pick in 2014; and STILL drafting Barkley with the 30th pick in the 1st round. Needless to say, this is a dream scenario, but Atlanta has shown that they're willing to empty the cupboard to move up-- here's hoping that Buddy's eagerness doesn't keep him from getting this kind of value from a willing trade partner (who, I promise, won't OPEN the negotiations with this many picks).

I just wonder how having at least 5 teams that want to trade back will affect the value of what the Bills (or any of the teams trading back) can get in return.

i think that all depends on the player(s) available at #8. if there is 1 superior talent left at any given position and multiple teams that want him, then it could be good. if there is no one that is considered a prime impact player on the board, then i doubt the offer would be strong.

For what it's worth, the annual GM Mock Draft, done by a collection of pundits each acting on behalf of one given team, has the Bills trading their #8 pick for Atlanta's #30 (1st), #60 (2nd) and a 1st and 4th round pick in 2014; and STILL drafting Barkley with the 30th pick in the 1st round. Needless to say, this is a dream scenario, but Atlanta has shown that they're willing to empty the cupboard to move up-- here's hoping that Buddy's eagerness doesn't keep him from getting this kind of value from a willing trade partner (who, I promise, won't OPEN the negotiations with this many picks).

Charley Casserly suspects that Mingo may be the guy that ATL covets. If so, you probably have to pick before the Jets. I would absolutely LOVE this trade.

Edited by Kirby Jackson