Bills already making calls to TRADE DOWN

Charley Casserly suspects that Mingo may be the guy that ATL covers. If so, you probably have to pick before the Jets. I would absolutely LOVE this trade.

Yup - he mentioned that exact trade on NFLN. Now THAT would be a dream scenario - a top QB prospect late in the and another first next year!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup - he mentioned that exact trade on NFLN. Now THAT would be a dream scenario - a top QB prospect late in the and another first next year!

anything is possible. I saw another that had us grabbing Mingo. Best case scenario. no one picks a qb before us and we hold a trump card for someone.

Okay Geno smith can go. But as long as the QB frenzy does not start early we should be able to trade back.

And the Landry Jones fetish? cheep smoke.

last thing though. Buddy looks to be the King right now and appears very confident in his staff to me. He's got the sparkle in his eye and the rub of the nose tells me that

Edited by 3rdand12

And what happens when the Jets take the QB we want? You can bet your butt they take a QB and then cut sanchez and his 8mill salary

His 2013 salary is guarranteed. That doesn't stop them from taking a QB but if a QB isn't worth the 8th spot he likely isn't worth 9 either.

For what it's worth, the annual GM Mock Draft, done by a collection of pundits each acting on behalf of one given team, has the Bills trading their #8 pick for Atlanta's #30 (1st), #60 (2nd) and a 1st and 4th round pick in 2014; and STILL drafting Barkley with the 30th pick in the 1st round. Needless to say, this is a dream scenario, but Atlanta has shown that they're willing to empty the cupboard to move up-- here's hoping that Buddy's eagerness doesn't keep him from getting this kind of value from a willing trade partner (who, I promise, won't OPEN the negotiations with this many picks).

From the 2:55 mark.....Atlanta and Buddy negotiating.

Charley Casserly suspects that Mingo may be the guy that ATL covers. If so, you probably have to pick before the Jets. I would absolutely LOVE this trade.

I would, too. It would really be a dream scenario, provided the Bills could play the kind of hardball necessary to engineer a trade yielding this many picks.

From the 2:55 mark.....Atlanta and Buddy negotiating.

Ha! Exactly!

SF is loaded with 13 picks and is looking to move up. They want to dump picks this year for ones in next years draft. Hope they covet someone at 8 in which the Bills can move back and garner a few extra picks. The top QBs will still be on the board at 31. Who ever wants to move up and give up a 1st and a 3rd...GRAB IT!!!

Buddy: Hello

other person on phone: This is Thomas Dimitroff with the Atlanta Falcons

Buddy: The Atlanta who?

TD: Falcons, we are in the NFC South

Buddy: I get all confused with where teams are since this merger

TD: (chuckles uncomfortably)

Buddy: What can I do ya for?

TD: I was wondering what it would take to trade up to 8?

Buddy: Well, hell we aint got no QB what about that guy you guys got?

TD: Matt Ryan for the 8th pick (annoyed)?!?

Buddy: No not him

TD: McCown?!?

Buddy: That's the guy!! How does 8 and 41 sound for that McCown kid?

TD: It would sound like a good deal on our end if I was a GM and not a 20 year-old phys ed major at Brockport.

....and scene

Dangnubbit, throw in that punter ya'll got there and it's a deal

The problem is, in this draft all 32 teams probably want to trade down. The best value is in rounds 2-3...

The teams that are in best position for trade down or the ones from 25 to 32. A lot of the top-10 teams that need a QB would like to ensure that they get their QB of choice and will not wait in the 2nd round to get them. They are going to fight over each other to get to one of those late 1st rounders (and there by making the rich teams more richers) to draft their QBs. All the action is going to be at that spot.

If we trade down all the way to #30, we need Atlanta's 2nd rounder and their 1st rounder in the 2014 draft, and I don't think that's a price that Atlanta would be willing to pay. It would be a great deal for the Bills, but I can't see the Falcons parting with that many resources to get up to #8 in a draft that is considered relatively weak at the top. So the question becomes........if you're Buddy Nix do you accept a trade down with the Falcons if they only offer #30, #60 and #127 (Atlanta's 1st, 2nd & 4th rounders, respectively)? If you look at the draft trade charts, that scenario is clearly in the Falcons favor from a point standpoint, but it's a buyers market for trading up because it seems so many teams want to move down. So would you accept that compensation from the Falcons......#8 for #30, #60 and #127. If I was Buddy i'd probably want an additional mid rounder next year (3rd or 4th) for me to begin considering pulling the trigger.

...it's a buyers market for trading up because it seems so many teams want to move down. So would you accept that compensation from the Falcons......#8 for #30, #60 and #127. If I was Buddy i'd probably want an additional mid rounder next year (3rd or 4th) for me to begin considering pulling the trigger.

You might be right, but no, I would personally not be interested in that trade. That's a lot of slots to slide (to the very bottom of the first) and a lot of risk to take for only one additional pick in the top-100. With all of the teams that could easily trade up to 27-29 from their high slots in the 2nd round to leap frog the Bills, there has to be considerable compensation to offset that risk. The chance that a QB could fall, this year's second and next year's first were really the cinchers for me. Without that, I think they're better off fielding more modest trade-down offers (say, #15 and a 3rd and 4th rounder) or simply standing pat.

I think that the Bills are the team in the top 10 that would consider a move to 30. I think the Bills are dead set on a QB with their first pick and the value isn't there at 8. They may very well get the same guy at 30 so it does make sense. Other teams looking to trade down will be selecting a lower rated player at 30 than where they are now (ie Oakland, Cleveland, etc...)

I just got out of an interesting meeting with some guys that lets just say are fairly familar with the Bills. Out of the one gentlemens mouth & I quote "There is a real power struggle going on, Marrone wants his boy Nassib, Buddy is really bit in the ass over (wait for several posters to jump off the bridge) Landry Jones." I can't see them taking Jones with a 1st round pick(doesn't he have a 3rd round grade) Maybe Nix will take Jones with our 2nd & take Millner/Austin/one of the LBs with our first round pick. Take it for what it is worth, which is not a hell of alot. Just thought I would share.

I really hope they go for Landey Jones. Best QB to be a pro out of college.

If they draft Jones, Buddy should be fired on the spot.

Really! What is your basis. How can you say that when none of the QB's are a slam dunk, and when you consider what Jones did in college vs. the others, you can make an intelligent arguement for picking Jones. Would be interested in hearing your arguements why you are so opposed to Landry Jones and why you feel any of the other QB's are THAT much better...........

It is easy to get hooked on Landry's career, but there are some pretty large concerns. in fact similar concerns I think. I heard Pat Kirwan, former(i know former) GM, grade Nassib as a 3rd-4th at best, and would be lucky to become a career backup. Then some have him as the top prospect. McNabb said that people are willing to take a chance because nobody really knows what he is capable of, he is one large question mark, with some upside, and a little talent in a lot of places. Every QB scares me in this draft, and I am terrified of them all.

If this is true, and Marrone hangs his first head NFL job on his questionable QB, then it will either make or break his career. He either has the ability to identify, find, and cultivate talent, or he doesn't. For this reason if I were Marrone I would stay away from Nassib, the risk of failure with that decision far out weighs the gains if he is successful I think.

I totally agree with you and have been saying the same thing for the past couple of months. Good post!

30 or 31 just sounds too far. the price would be HUGE to move up that far, it would almost have to include next year's #1, which would be tough for them to do and tough for us to accept. PLUS, you won't have your pick of QB's and would be willing to settle for your 3rd or so choice... or even if you wanted a CB or OLB or WR, it really isn't a good spot for that either.

the Rams like to move around a lot... why not their first 2 picks (16,22) for OUR first 2 picks (8,41) ? that is actually very close in value.

FYI: http://www.sports-re...ry-jones-1.html

Overall, in the games Jones started, the Sooners went 40-12. In his four years, they finished 35th, 6th, 16th, and 15th in the final AP poll. He was not supposed to be the starter in his freshman year, but took over when Sam Bradford got hurt. In his final three years, Jones averaged 32 TDs, 13 INTs, 4483 yards, and a completion rate of ~65 percent.

Barkley's stats are remarkably similar. In the games he started, his team went 34-15. http://www.sports-re...-barkley-1.html

My question is as follows: Are the critics of Landry simply following a herd mentality? That is, because McShay/Kiper et al. have him rated as a lesser prospect, does that mean they're right and that we should simply follow their thinking? Does anyone here have a truly educated opinion?

I didn't watch any OK games so I have no idea as to whether he's any good. Statistically speaking, he seems to be quite good -- as good as Barkley. He also apparently has better physical attributes than Barkley.

I have been thinking the same thing. I watched a lot of Oklahoma the last two years seeing if Landry Jones would be a decent pro and, while I agree that he does have some weaknesses, I feel he is as good, if not better, than the other prospects. He is a 4 year starter, has a strong arm, is big at over 6'4", played in a pro style offense in a major conference and set almost all the NCAA passing records and is a first ballot NCAA Hall of Famer. I think he is getting beat up for his fumble and late interception vs. Kansas State and his play in the Cotton Bowl vs. Texas A&M. But what QB didn't have bad plays? Why is Landry singled out? I just don't get it. Some other things to consider: He threw for over 300 yards vs. Notre Dame. It was not his fault that ND manhandled OU on both the Offensive and Defensive Lines and could not run or stop the run all night. Also, he only had 1 receiver come back (Kenny Stills) and lost his #1 go-to guy in Brian Broyles, and it took him some time to get into rhythm with the new receivers which he did, which is not unusual. he should get credit for that instead of ctiticism. He led 2 late come from behind victories vs. West Virginia and Okla State and honestly, OU was not that good this year. They were absolutely horrible on Defense so Landry Jones was always pressured to perform and put up big numbers. This cumulated with a pathetic performance vs. Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl where the entire team played horribly,. Overall, I like Landry Jones and with the right coaching I think he can be a decent pro. I think none of the other QB's have his background and none are really better than him overall. He also has weaknesses which need to be improved, so I guess it comes down to him developing more. Time will tell......