PFC: 5 Reasons the Bills Should Draft Barkley

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barkley may never be a so called "" elite qb"" in the nfl but he can easily be a year in,year out 20tds 3500 +yards 60% completion type of player in this offense....he is a perfect fit for the west coast scheme ironically its exactly what the bills will be running from this point on..so i say Go for it whats there to lose if he stinks it up well draft another qb next season...and dont give me the..""he doesnt have enough arm strenght"" excuse we had fitzgarbage as our starter by far one of the weakest arms in history.

Edited by Hotpockets28

Barkley's OL this year was atrocious. He was under a constant barrage the entire season. He missed 4 games in 4 years as the starter. I don't view that as frail. Considering the game and position he plays, that's not considered frail. There is a middle ground. If a QB isn't considered the most durable player that doesn't mean he's frail.

Fine, we'll agree to disagree on the terminology.

In the end, I bet you're at least a little bit concerned about how Barkley is going to hold up in the NFL. 4 games in 4 years sounds okay, but like I said, if last season's injury had occurred in Game 1, we would be looking at 14 games in 4 years, right?

Look at it this way. How much worse would his injury resume have to be to not be considered a top QB prospect? Missing games in 4 out of 4 seasons instead of 3 out of 4? 2 season-ending injuries to his throwing shoulder instead of 1? He's basically already at the limit and that's not even counting another injury that occurred in the offseason of his sophomore year which required surgery that most people aren't even aware of: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/01/usc-football-matt-barkley-wrist-surgery-spring-practice-.html

I also don't like that his freshman season injury was the same as his senior season injury, just not as severe obviously. Is he going to continue to land awkwardly on his right throwing shoulder throughout his career? He's already got questionable arm strength. And oh yeah, we have to draft him coming off the season-ending injury without the benefit of seeing him play in any more games to see how he and his throwing shoulder will react? I just don't like it.

What does "Buffalo's history at QB" mean? Our tendancy for picking stiffs? Barkley = Todd Collins 2.0

PTR

probably the fact that they have "drafted/traded for" a few Cali QB's in the last 15 years or so...R. Johnson, T. Edwards, J.P. Lossman...they might not have all played in Cali but they all have Cali ties none the same...when I first heard Bills associated with Barkley in earlier mocks I hated the choice just due to he was from Cali... :)

lol..I don't use "none the same" very often..hope i used it correctly..lol

Edited by Tsaikotic

probably the fact that they have "drafted/traded for" a few Cali QB's in the last 15 years or so...R. Johnson, T. Edwards, J.P. Lossman...they might not have all played in Cali but they all have Cali ties none the same...when I first heard Bills associated with Barkley in earlier mocks I hated the choice just due to he was from Cali... :)

lol..I don't use "none the same" very often..hope i used it correctly..lol

Yeah, I know what you mean about those Cali QBs which is exactly why I'd never waste a roster spot on Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers or Colin Kaepernick or Jack Kemp Or Darryl Lamonica or Jim Plunkett or John Elway or...well, no sense going on. Just know I support you in opposing any Cali QBs for Buffalo.

Edited by yungmack

Yeah, I know what you mean about those Cali QBs which is exactly why I'd never waste a roster spot on Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers or Colin Kaepernick or Jack Kemp Or Darryl Lamonica or Jim Plunkett or John Elway or...well, no sense going on. Just know I support you in opposing any Cali QBs for Buffalo.

LOL..I hear what your saying..just Buffalo seems to like the wrong Cali boy's

Yes, missing games in 3 of 4 seasons is pretty much the definition of frail. Him missing "only" 2 games this past season is pretty much luck that the injury occurred late in the season instead of early in the season. If it happened in Game 1, he would've missed 12 games, right?

Compare this to Nassib, who got shoddier protection at Cuse, and started 38 straight games, never missing one.

Both these guys would be good choices at #8...

Barkley started all 4 years in HS and then again all 4 yrs at USC... His OLine problems were talked about on Gruden's QB camp...

Personally, I will not be disappointed with either Barkley or Nassib...

Each one seems to have the necessary skill sets to succeed...

"Name the last quarterback the Bills picked with their first pick in a draft? JP Losman? Nope, Lee Evans was taken earlier in the first. Jim Kelly? Wrong again, a tight end from Notre Dame nobody remembers was taken two picks before him. The Bills have NEVER drafted a quarterback with their first pick. While it worked with Kelly (although most will give his time in the USFL credit), it has not worked since. "

^ Now, that was interesting.

I think the Revis deal has changed things a little for us. Now the Jets have two picks high in the first round. They need a QB, too. They're said to be high on the same people Buffalo are high on. I mean, there are really probably only 4 QB's most of the teams in need of a QB would be high on in the first 2 rounds... so, if Buffalo does want Barkley or Nassib, I think taking them at 8 has become even more of a lock.

Barkley doesn't look frail to me - he looks pretty stocky. AND, Nix mentioned numerous times that he was getting pummelled his senior year behind a porous line. I have liked Barkley all along as my favorite QB in this draft, but I must admit, the positives on Nassib are all positive qualities that I feel the best QB's possess. He has the strength of a linebacker, the intelligence to make all the reads and quick processing, and he played well in a very pro-style offense already. Add to that, as many here have stated, he succeeded behind and with players that would not have started on teams like USC. So, although Barkley just looked more like a very good pro to me, perhaps Nassib would have looked even better on a team like USC.

Frankly, I think the Bills have too much riding on getting a QB to be the next franchise QB here, and have too many intelligent football minds making the analysis, to get this wrong. As far as I'm concerned, they're in the perfect position to get a franchise QB this year - perhaps the best position they'll have for another 10-20 years - because they might very well have a shot at any QB they want this year at 8.

Barkley may never be a so called "" elite qb"" in the nfl but he can easily be a year in,year out 20tds 3500 +yards 60% completion type of player in this offense....he is a perfect fit for the west coast scheme ironically its exactly what the bills will be running from this point on..so i say Go for it whats there to lose if he stinks it up well draft another qb next season...and dont give me the..""he doesnt have enough arm strenght"" excuse we had fitzgarbage as our starter by far one of the weakest arms in history.

having endured you're epic fitzpatrick love-fest over the past few months let me ask you this...

if you could take a clone of fitzpatrick and make him more accurate and therefore consistant, would you take that qb?

it seems strange, but the way the bills two favorites are being described it seems that barkley is a fitz-like guy with better accuracy and nassib is a fitz-like guy with a stronger arm. (although i think that fitz is faster than either of them) that's the impression i've been getting from a lot of the tbdrivers.

Edited by swnybillsfan

6'2", 227 lbs. is frail?

Those 2 stats say less than nothing about his skeletal structure and relative build. The dude looks very small across the chest and shoulders, almost bird like with small deltoids, while having wide hips. From every angle and every picture he just looks weak and bird like even with shoulder pads. I have a hard time picturing him landing on a shoulder and not having it dislocated. Actually, his shoulders look like elbows. Edited by RealityCheck

I've got another consideration for Barkley. When you think about franchise QB's, you think - how can this QB fare in the playoffs, against other elite QB's? Well, who are the young elite QB's who would be in the playoffs for years to come? Kaepernick, Luck, Wilson, and Griffin III. Barkley has gone head to head with Luck - who many feel is the best QB prospect since Elway - and held his own. He's beat very tough competition.

One can argue, is Barkley the best at this or that? I say - with a team like Buffalo, who desperately needs a QB who can compete with the best, Barkley is a guy who would be able to hold his own at the QB position, do enough things to help his team win the biggest of games. What more can we ask for, really?

Please god no...

Look, maybe I'm just being too pessimistic. Maybe he can play under harsh weather conditions, but I hear "Southern California" and "subpar arm" and that sends black clouds everywhere.

Look, Barkley's biggest upside is that he is the most polished of all draft picks. That is honestly the best thing I've heard about him. And if the Bills pre-Kolb, I would have grudgingly looked at that attribute as a major plus. Now, we can draft someone who doesn't NEED to start. To be honest, Barkley sounds like a Kolb clone, only Kolb weathered Philadelphia, has a bigger arm and can run faster...so, someone who is like Kolb except inferior in almost every way doesn't sound like a big upside.

Geno probably has the highest upside, Nassib has the advantage of knowing the system and having better physical tools and still seems to have room to grow, and Manuel is the most physically gifted. I would take ALL of these guys over Barkley.

Those 2 stats say less than nothing about his skeletal structure and relative build. The dude looks very small across the chest and shoulders, almost bird like with small deltoids, while having wide hips. From every angle and every picture he just looks weak and bird like even with shoulder pads. I have a hard time picturing him landing on a shoulder and not having it dislocated. Actually, his shoulders look like elbows.

yes, there are a lot of variables involved in this than just the standard height and weight. but i doubt there are many qbs that can take being driven into the turf, shoulder first, by a dl or lb and jump up and be just fine.