Draft plan Bills may be looking to pull off.

For the Bills, it all revolves around when they think they can get the QB they desire (i.e. Barkley or Nassib). If you're holding out for Manuel, don't hold your breath. If the Bills feel like they must select Barkley at #8 to get him, then I expect them to do so. If they can wait until the later part of R1, then expect them to trade down and possibly pull off something like the following: 1. Bills trade #8 overall for St. Louis' #16 plus their R2 and R3 picks. St. Louis selects WR T. Austin to replace D. Amendola. St. Louis still has the #22 pick. 2. Bills trade #16 and their R5 pick to Minnesota for #23 and #25. Minnesota selects the player they covet, LB M. Teo. The Bills are then free to make the follows selections: #23 - QB Barkley; #25 - WR Patterson; R2a - ILB Minter; R2b - trade for CB Revis + future 2014 considerations; R3a - DE/OB; R3b - TE V. McDonald; R4 - SS; R6 - Forfeit for signing RFA WR D. Alexander. Whether you agree that these scenarios are realistic or not, my point for this exercise is to show you that trading down is the best possible option for the Bills. It gives them the flexibility to select the BPA, to fill their needs with more draft picks, and to fill their needs by trading draft picks for proven young veterans.

Mr. P, I thought the same thing a few weeks ago. However, if the Bills really like both Barkley and Nassib then they may be more willing to roll the dice to select one of them as late as #23 overall. If you look at more draft boards (ESPN/SI/ProFootballTalk/TSN/etc.) nobody has Barkley rated higher than a R2 pick. Now that certainly doesn't mean that a team or teams won't reach for such a player. It all comes down to how well the Bills have done their homework. If they do select a QB at #8 he had better be damn good, franchise good, because the Bills will have really restricted what they could have otherwise accomplished in this year's draft. If the Bills were to pull off the draft that I proposed above (or something close to it) they would essentially be set on defense and could sign OG B. Moore to solidify their O-line. They could start the following lineups: OFFENSE: Kolb or Barkley/Spiller or FJax/Alexander/SJ/Patterson/Chandler or McDonald/Glenn/Moore/Wood/Urbik/Pears. DEFENSE: K. Williams/Dareus/Branch/Ma.Williams/Bradham/Minter/Lawson/Revis/Gilmore/Searcy or R4/Byrd. Otherwise, it's Barkley, a whole lot of holes, and look forward to next year. You decide if it's worth the risk.

They need a quarterback and they will take him at 8.

i'm really hoping this is the case. they know they need a qb of the future and have had plenty of time to poke, prod and dig on all these guys. there should absolutely be one guy they like above all others and he should be there at 8. identify him, grab him, and apologize to no one for it.

I don't think that Bills can afford to think that small. All of the other teams will be saying thank you very much Buffalo for reaching that far for a player and letting guys like Milliner and some of the better O-line and D-line players slide to us. That #8 overall pick has great value and the Bills should look to exploit it for all it's worth. It's the prize the NFL presents to you when you're one of the dregs of the entire league. Take advantage or remain a dreg. If the Bills don't feel like they can wait until the latter part of R1 to select Barkley (my preference) or Nassib, then take them sooner. But I would really like to see them at least do a little better than reaching so far for Barkley at #8 overall.

I don't think that Bills can afford to think that small. All of the other teams will be saying thank you very much Buffalo for reaching that far for a player and letting guys like Milliner and some of the better O-line and D-line players slide to us. That #8 overall pick has great value and the Bills should look to exploit it for all it's worth. It's the prize the NFL presents to you when you're one of the dregs of the entire league. Take advantage or remain a dreg. If the Bills don't feel like they can wait until the latter part of R1 to select Barkley (my preference) or Nassib, then take them sooner. But I would really like to see them at least do a little better than reaching so far for Barkley at #8 overall.

Well done.

I loathe Patterson as pick period. , because i need Receiver(s) now. and there are many.

But beside that nit pick you are genius.

I dont want Revis but it makes sense if you could pull that off.

Genius. and great perspective in your posts :thumbsup: .

This is the most thoughtful post I've read on here in a while. The Bills really should have their heads examined if they pick any QB not named Geno Smith at #8. Imagine having to pick the "star franchise" QB out of a group of three 2nd round graded QB prospects in Barkley, Nassib, or Manuel? Really? With QBs like Glennon, Bray, Wilson and Scott all having very good chances to outperform your brilliant roll of the dice reach of a QB. Of which you could get in the third and second rounds. I don't care how good they'll be right away, it's about who will be the best in two or three years. The guy I think will be the best down the line is Matt Scott.

I will be shocked if the Bills select any QB other than Geno Smith at #8. If he's not there the Bills should absolutely pick the stud player that is truly worthy of such a high price tag. The Bills earned that #8 pick, you don't throw it down the toilet at slow, unathletic average armed QBs prospect just because they're "gym rats".

Edited by 1billsfan

As Joe B. said the other day on GR, a lot could depend on where Geno is picked. If he goes before #8, the Bills may feel they can't gamble on a decent QB falling to them at 41, and select their QB. If Geno's still on the board at 8, they may think they can wait until then 2nd round or trade up into the bottom of the 1st.

If I was a Vikings fan I'd be pissed they gave up #23 and #25 to move up to get Teo who should be there at #23 for them...I realize the point of your OP is not to say who the Vikings are going after and how they're going to get him and that you used that scenario as an example, but still I'de be pissed..lol...

that aside...I like the idea of moving down and maybe taking #23 and some other picks from Vikings and grabbing Barkley or Nassib at #23...don't think Vikings will give # 23 and #25 to anybody in this draft to move up..one or the other plus 2nd round maybe but not both 1st rounders.

This is the most thoughtful post I've read on here in a while. The Bills really should have their heads examined if they pick any QB not named Geno Smith at #8. Imagine having to pick the "star franchise" QB out of a group of three 2nd round graded QB prospects in Barkley, Nassib, or Manuel? Really? With QBs like Glennon, Bray, Wilson and Scott all having very good chances to outperform your brilliant roll of the dice reach of a QB. Of which you could get in the third and second rounds. I don't care how good they'll be right away, it's about who will be the best in two or three years. The guy I think will be the best down the line is Matt Scott.

I will be shocked if the Bills select any QB other than Geno Smith at #8. If he's not there the Bills should absolutely pick the stud player that is truly worthy of such a high price tag. The Bills earned that #8 pick, you don't throw it down the toilet at slow, unathletic average armed QBs prospect just because they're "gym rats".

"The Bills earned that #8 pick, you don't throw it down the toilet at slow, unathletic average armed QBs prospect just because they're "gym rats"." EXACTLY! Just say no to average Joe QB, draft a plater worthy of the 8th pick, don't reach for a sketchy QB

I have looked at the needs of the teams after the Bills and other than the Jets, none of the teams have a glaring need for a QB. So my question is why reach for a QB that is not a top 10 talent? They should draft the best player on their board at 8. Wait until the end of the first and trade back in. The have done it before (McCargo and Losman). I have a feeling that none of these QBs will be a franchise type. I could be wrong.

I don't understand why people around here think the Bills want Barkley. Dude is going to be a huge bust along the lines of Jimmy Clausen. He is off the board after Geno, Nassib and EJ and if one of those 3 are not in a Bills uni we dont take a QB till the 3rd or 4th round (Scott, Wilson or Bray)

Edited by Dayzofglory