[closed]"Grown-ass Man" theory of drafting

As I posted in the official EJ Manuel thread:

----

#8 billsb_logo.gifBuffalo Bills: E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State FloridaState_logo.gif

Please god. Please.

Please Santa. Please.

Please Easter Bunny. Please.

If you have seen the Gruden qb shows this year, please opine on this: I have said for years to friends, that what I want to see in a qb (or any position in the draft) is a "grown-ass man." Not a boy or somebody just happy to be here. I want somebody who wants to kill the other team and too bad its not legal. (I really think this is the "IT" factor that people talk about)

I saw it in Andy Dalton, but not Cam Newton. I see it in Luck and RG III and Russell wilson, but not Sanchez or Romo or even Cutler. I see it in Von Miller, but not Marcel Dareus.

Geno is a goof. Barkley is happy to be here, isnt this cool, I'll watch the draft on TV instead of the Green Room, just in case. EJ Manuel is like "yeah, I'm bout to f**c somebody up."

And ask yourself: How long has it been since you woke up on a Sunday and said to yourself "we're about to f**k this team up?" Usually I'm happy if I can get myself up to "yeah, we have a chance if this and this and this and this happens, and we get a little luck too." I want to look forward to f**king some teams up.

Edited by maddenboy

Have you watched any of his games?

I'm convinced everyone who likes EJ Manuel never actually sat down and watched his games at FSU, because nothing he ever did said to me, "He's a starting NFL QB", let alone a star.

I'll take Geno, Barkley, Nassib and Tyler Wilson all over EJ

Please god. Please.

Please Santa. Please.

Not sure why, but I couldn't actually get to the meat of your post after seeing your capitalization (and, lack thereof). What was it that you said?

you draft on potential. On feel. On feel for a guy's personality, character, and talent. And in quarterbacks, you look for the elusive "IT" factor.

NFL coaches > college coaches. Draft him and coach him up if the problems are fixable. You cant coach arm strength, competitive fire, and "IT" so you had better draft those things.

What do you like about Barkley? Especially if you saw the Gruden thing. Rob Johnson wants you to know he's available, dood. What do you like about Geno? Jamarcus Russell wants you to know . . . .

Not sure why, but I couldn't actually get to the meat of your post after seeing your capitalization (and, lack thereof). What was it that you said?

Quite on purpose, sir. Sorry if I offended, but its a big wide world out here.

And its a football board after all, not a theology board.

Edited by maddenboy

I saw it in Andy Dalton, but not Cam Newton. I see it in Luck and RG III and Russell wilson, but not Sanchez or Romo or even Cutler. I see it in Von Miller, but not Marcel Dareus.

You'd really rather have Andy Dalton than Cam Newton??

Not exactly saying I'd rather have Andy. But Andy approaches the game as a grown up.

I want my qb to be a grown up. In workouts, in film study, in meetings, in practice, in the offseason, etc. The rising tide lifts all boats. If the players look at the qb as a grown up man who is trying to kill the other team, I think that's the "IT" factor at work.

its kinda like with brothers and sisters. The oldest sibling is always the most serious and responsible. The youngest is always a brat with no care for the future or for cause-and-effect.

I'm just saying I want the oldest sibling. Especially at quarterback. Because real life in the NFL is serious.

and missing the playoffs for 13 years is serious.

Edited by maddenboy

What do you like about Barkley? Especially if you saw the Gruden thing. Rob Johnson wants you to know he's available, dood. What do you like about Geno? Jamarcus Russell wants you to know . . . .

I like their ability to throw the football. EJ was very unimpressive every time I watched him play. Every year he was hyped up and didn't deliver. Now he's getting hyped up again.

Not exactly saying I'd rather have Andy. But Andy approaches the game as a grown up.

I want my qb to be a grown up. In workouts, in film study, in meetings, in practice, in the offseason, etc. The rising tide lifts all boats. If the players look at the qb as a grown up man who is trying to kill the other team, I think that's the "IT" factor at work.

its kinda like with brothers and sisters. The oldest sibling is always the most serious and responsible. The youngest is always a brat with no care for the future or for cause-and-effect.

I'm just saying I want the oldest sibling. Especially at quarterback. Because real life in the NFL is serious.

I'm glad you expanded on your answer. I was gonna hammer that op. But I can't agree more with the bold text. You are describing "football character" and it's essential, especially in your QB, in order to be successful.

GO BILLS!!!

you draft on potential. On feel. On feel for a guy's personality, character, and talent. And in quarterbacks, you look for the elusive "IT" factor.

NFL coaches > college coaches. Draft him and coach him up if the problems are fixable. You cant coach arm strength, competitive fire, and "IT" so you had better draft those things.

Quite on purpose, sir. Sorry if I offended, but its a big wide world out here.

And its a football board after all, not a theology board.

Did you not capitalize Sir on purpose?

Edited by Triple Threat

I don't know much about the draft seeing I really don't follow this stuff much anymore for obvious reasons but the OP brings up a very good point. When was the last time any of you got up on a Sunday morning and said "whoooo boy we are going to kick this teams ass!! They are going to get !@#$ED UP!!" Because really, that's what being a fan of football is all about. For me? Close to 20 years. :cry:

Interesting...

I think that by far the most important factors of QB success are:

* leadership

* determination/dedication (the "first in the bldg, last out")

* quick decision making - ability to process what he sees and make decisions on where to go with the ball in a split second.

* toughness

* arm strength - MUST have a minimum level for success, but above that it isn't that important.

* athletic ability - great to have Cam/RG 3, Kaepernick speed and elusiveness, but nothing without the above.

Of course there are other factors, but I believe the above are the main things. Note that most of them are VERY difficult to assess in on-field tape review and even in interviews. It is HARD to find a good QB - that is why so many QB draft picks fail.

I know I am counter-arguing my previous post, but Fitz attacked things as a "grown-ass man", but lacked the physical skills to be great. If Fitz had a bit more arm-strength and accuracy, he'd have been a very good starting QB. On the flip-side if Rob Johnson or JP Losman had that quick-decision making ability, they'd have been great - I don't think either lacked drive or effort.

As I posted in the official EJ Manuel thread:

----

#8 billsb_logo.gifBuffalo Bills: E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State FloridaState_logo.gif

Please god. Please.

Please Santa. Please.

If you have seen the Gruden qb shows this year, please opine on this: I have said for years to friends, that what I want to see in a qb (or any position in the draft) is a "grown-ass man." Not a boy or somebody just happy to be here. I want somebody who wants to kill the other team and too bad its not legal. (I really think this is the "IT" factor that people talk about)

Geno is a goof. Barkley is happy to be here, isnt this cool, I'll watch the draft on TV instead of the Green Room, just in case. EJ Manuel is like "yeah, I'm bout to f**c somebody up."

And ask yourself: How long has it been since you woke up on a Sunday and said to yourself "we're about to f**k this team up?" Usually I'm happy if I can get myself up to "yeah, we have a chance if this and this and this and this happens, and we get a little luck too." I want to look forward to f**king some teams up.

You know what a "grown ass man" never says? "I'm bout to f**c somebody up."

Manning never said it. Rodgers never said it. Doubt Brady ever said it. RG3 and Luck doubtful also.

"I'm bout to f**c somebody up" is more soemthing a guy like Vick or Jeff George would say (you know, an a**hole).

Guys who destroy other teams do so because they have an inner calm that comes with the conifidence, the knowledge and the certainty that they are simply better than the defense they face.

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.