The Charging Buffalo...like it or hate it, here's the back story

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty cool story. I'm surprised he didn't have a relationship with Ralph to get recognized. Maybe we'll here about them doing something.

It is Howard University's original design... Ralph stole it from them and then was a stand-up guy and let them use it! LoL! I guess it just goes to show you that one should protect their sh*t! Which Howard didn't! Ralph and the NFL grabbed the rights.

It is Howard University's original design... Ralph stole it from them and then was a stand-up guy and let them use it! LoL! I guess it just goes to show you that one should protect their sh*t! Which Howard didn't! Ralph and the NFL grabbed the rights.

So, you're saying that the article I linked is a total fabrication? Remember, the time that the Bills made the switch was pre-internets. Your assertion that "Ralph stole from them" does not seem fair to either party (Ralph or Stevens Wright).

So, you're saying that the article I linked is a total fabrication? Remember, the time that the Bills made the switch was pre-internets. Your assertion that "Ralph stole from them" does not seem fair to either party (Ralph or Stevens Wright).

Thread on this two years ago...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/126179-howard-university-bison/

Howard University's bison logo is one that is waived high and worn proudly. According to facilities manager Isaac Darden who has been a part of the Howard community for about 40 years, John Dupri a former Howard alumnus, who majored in art and member of the football team drew a version of the bison crest for Howard.

His artistic creation did not go unnoticed but instead was coveted.

It was so highly favored that the professional football team the Buffalo Bills took the design for their own. Since Howard did not have the logo copyrighted, it was lost to the Bills.

I was the last to post... :nana:

Now Beerball... Obviuosly, the guy in your story and Ralph got the copywrite... So I guess it is theirs. Funny how the article you linked to makes no mention of the Howard logo/inspiration.

I was the last to post... :nana:

Thread killer. :nana:

Still, my point is...this was before the internets etc. You've called Ralph a thief and that simply isn't fair. You assume that everyone from Ralph to Wright was dishonest, or you used a poor choice of words.

Thread killer. :nana:

Still, my point is...this was before the internets etc. You've called Ralph a thief and that simply isn't fair. You assume that everyone from Ralph to Wright was dishonest, or you used a poor choice of words.

I understand. Sorry to be harsh, I was applying modern standards... It is rightfully Ralph's and that guy's... Howard and John Dupri never protected it, it is their loss. Ralph/NFL was stand-up in giving full rights to Howard University? Why is that? He/they are nice guys? The NFL? LoL.

It is obvious the inspiration came from Howard. In Apple's words: That is theiving! But it was a bygone era. No biggy, everybody is happy... Funny still that your story NEVER mentioned Howard University.

You would think the NFL would be on this like stink on sh*t... BUT they are silent...

I understand. Sorry to be harsh, I was applying modern standards... It is rightfully Ralph's and that guy's... Howard and John Dupri never protected it, it is their loss. Ralph/NFL was stand-up in giving full rights to Howard University? Why is that? He/they are nice guys? The NFL? LoL.

It is obvious the inspiration came from Howard. In Apple's words: That is theiving! But it was a bygone era. No biggy, everybody is happy... Funny still that your story NEVER mentioned Howard University.

You would think the NFL would be on this like stink on sh*t... BUT they are silent...

I guess we'll end this here. You've decided Ralph is a thief, he knowingly and willingly took the Bison logo from Howard University and he pulled Wright into his scheme.

Never mind that the artilce you posted shows no history of the logo at Howard. I am sure that it remains intact from the day it was first designed.

I understand that's the story but obviously Wright and his family are awfuly proud of it. How it ended up there shouldn't stop the Bills from honoring the creator.

Some of us are old enough to remember when the logo switch happened. The fact that it looked an awful lot like the Howard logo did not go un-noticed at the time. But, as pointed out, the logo wasn't copyrighted (copyrighting logos, particularly at the small college level wasn't all that common at that time, from what I understand), and, for all intents and purposes was public domain. So, to say the Bills (or Ralph Wilson) stole the logo is not legally correct..even if there is some merit to it. It's really a non-issue.

What I find humerous, about once a year, during football season, it seems as though somebody comes to TSW and reports to everyone that there is some college team that has stolen the Bills logo... :lol:

I understand that's the story but obviously Wright and his family are awfuly proud of it. How it ended up there shouldn't stop the Bills from honoring the creator.

Fair enough... But if the Dupri (art department @ Howard) was really the inspiration, how is Wright the really the "creator?" Sure him an Ralph beat the others to the copyright office and in the end everybody is happy... The NFL and Bills are not coming down on the Howard Bisons.

IMO... It kind of taints things... But then again, eveybody is happy and I thank both for making it work.

If the Washington Post is to be believed

Here's a pic from Howard University 1996.

pic 4 if it doesn't load there

You have an interesting argument. I thought this has been settled many years ago. There have been different logos @ the University. Again, sorry for being harsh on the Bills, I still love the logo. Gotta remember the Sabres founded just a few years earlier, had their more modern and snazzy moving/streaking bison, the Bills did need to keep with the times... And they do have a classic.

Some of us are old enough to remember when the logo switch happened. The fact that it looked an awful lot like the Howard logo did not go un-noticed at the time. But, as pointed out, the logo wasn't copyrighted (copyrighting logos, particularly at the small college level wasn't all that common at that time, from what I understand), and, for all intents and purposes was public domain. So, to say the Bills (or Ralph Wilson) stole the logo is not legally correct..even if there is some merit to it. It's really a non-issue.

What I find humerous, about once a year, during football season, it seems as though somebody comes to TSW and reports to everyone that there is some college team that has stolen the Bills logo... :lol:

Exactly Buf... Too funny! Sorry for being harsh and putting into modern copyright perspective... If it happened now... You bet they would fight tooth and nail... ESPECIALLY if it was infringing on the NFL. Look how pimpy they get! Look @ MLB how they put the screws to Little Leagues around the country with their logos! We are not in Kansas anymore Toto... Anyway, glad Howard and the Bills can work it out without getting territorial...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois