The Charging Buffalo...like it or hate it, here's the back story

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Click on the link below. It is a pic of Current Head Coach at HU, Gary "Flea" Herrell in the early 90's. He was one of the stars WR-KR-PR on the '93-'94 team that went undefeated in the regular season and wound up losing to Marshall in the 1-AA playoffs. I saw him play many times. Had friends on the team. They were the truth. That era also had QB Jay Walker (Patriots/Vikings) and SS Tim Watson (Packers/Eagles/Chiefs) and DB Dondre Owens (Redskins) on that squad. Harrell would go on to play with the Giants for a minute.

http://espn.go.com/c...rrell-new-coach

This pic is from the '93 season. That year they took the stripes off the helmet and just used the logo:

http://images.search...et&fr=yfp-t-900

Edited by purple haze

Personally, I'd like to see a new logo created. Perhaps a modern variation of the current charging Buffalo... Or a retro red helmet with a white standing Buffalo. To me, the current white hats look timid, neutral, and safe... I prefer a much more aggressive, menacing, and daring design. Let everyone know we're not the same old Bills -At this point, a little psych warfare can't hurt.

You're having trouble keeping up, aren't you?

My bad because I probably wasn't clear with my comment so I will rephrase it.

If this was Wright's pride and joy and a watershed mark for his career as stated in the article, and there is too eerily similar a likeness between his charging Buffalo and the charging Bison of Howard then why has there been no obvious follow-up from the news?

Furthermore, the act of stealing or copyright infringement doesn't really interest me (but I do understand that it interests many on the Board)...what interests me is the feeling either Wright or his family may have towards something that appears to be unoriginal.

Sorry if it is just me, but the story isn't in the law, but what the people/family were thinking and what they might be thinking now.

Personally, I'd like to see a new logo created. Perhaps a modern variation of the current charging Buffalo... Or a retro red helmet with a white standing Buffalo.

They had a retro red helmet with a white standing buffalo many years back (1994) for one of their initial "throwback" games. It was awful.

You can see it here.

They had a retro red helmet with a white standing buffalo many years back (1994) for one of their initial "throwback" games. It was awful.

You can see it here.

Yah, I saw them once, and loved them! Maybe not for every game, but once in a while can't hurt. -Haven't you heard of the mythical Native American "white buffalo"

My bad because I probably wasn't clear with my comment so I will rephrase it.

If this was Wright's pride and joy and a watershed mark for his career as stated in the article, and there is too eerily similar a likeness between his charging Buffalo and the charging Bison of Howard then why has there been no obvious follow-up from the news?

Furthermore, the act of stealing or copyright infringement doesn't really interest me (but I do understand that it interests many on the Board)...what interests me is the feeling either Wright or his family may have towards something that appears to be unoriginal.

Sorry if it is just me, but the story isn't in the law, but what the people/family were thinking and what they might be thinking now.

I gotta post one more time in this thread... Sorry for the bump!

You were spot on here d2d! That is all I wanted to say... Some how I got caught up in this! :doh:;) No! How in the heck would that ever happen, me getting caught up in something.

purple haze: Excuse me while I kiss the sky... You know better than anybody! Even your documented pic from pre-1996 buries the other side. Where in the heck did you find that! Howard must have changed their logos and unis from year to year, like people change their socks! ;)

You can see it here.

That is cool! But they should show the original masks (if any at all)...!!

This is gonna sound bad as a Bills fan... BUT the 1960 Boston, tri-corner hat and # is not that bad. As I duck!

Yah, I saw them once, and loved them! Maybe not for every game, but once in a while can't hurt. -Haven't you heard of the mythical Native American "white buffalo"

Yeah... But the Great White Buffalo wasn't standing in a sea of red! Unless funky Ted Nugent came along and was hunting it! :nana:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The logo is lame and doesn't represent the team as we've known it historically. There's always this effort with professional sports logos to make any character/mascot look nasty and mean. Considering the recent history of the team, the Bills should employ a new artist to draw some buffaloes (bisons) sitting at a little table having a tea party.

You can see it here.

Yep that whole attempt at a throwback was terrible. I'm glad they got it right later, then switched to it permanently.

Incorrect. I graduated from Howard U. This story was always whispered about. Old timers who had been with the University for years maintained the logo originated at HU and the Bills took it. I can tell you with clarity the logo was in operation from at least the mid-80's on through my time there in the early to mid-90's. The only difference was in the 80's the logo was entirely blue. Then they changed the stripe to red by 89 or 90. And both color schemes incorporated "BISONS" on the stripe.

The Bison crest with the cross swords came in the late 90's or so. Then they returned to their "original" logo with the streaking bison. Thank God. BTW, nobody at Howard treated it as a big deal that the Bills use the logo. It was just seen as a fact of the matter where it was created.

Although I can offer nothing to resolve this issue of who came first, I can push PH's memory-based mid-80s date back to 1982, as my friend brought her 1982 Howard U yearbook into work today and the football team sported white helmets with the blue charging buffalo and blue stripe with "Bisons" written in white cursive on the end of the stripe.