Vikings release Antoine Winfield, Signs with the Seahawks.

So do I. The LeBeau years as DC were the best we've seen in 15 years. All garbage other than that period 9-10 years ago.

Harrrummph! (in strong agreement, as in, "I didn't get a Harumph outta that guy!" Governor William J. LePetomaine

Also one of my all time fave Bills. Loved the #26 corner blitz as well.

Edited by BillsBruce

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm going to be in the minority but I will go ahead and say that although I liked Winfield, I was actually not that impressed by him during his time in Buffalo. When Winfield came to the Bills they had the #1 pass defense in the NFL. When he left it was #31. There was a steady decline in the Bills defense during his time here and despite people constantly saying that the Bills had one of the best CB tandems in the league (with Clements) the Bills were in the bottom half of the league in pass defense the last two years before he left. I know that they had no pass rush then but if your CBs are supposed to be that good how can your pass defense be near the bottom?

Season Pass Defense Rank

1999 1

2000 4

2001 13

2002 27

2003 31

The Bills have been a team full of stop gaps for well over a decade. Why would a 36 year old player who is near the end of his career ever sign here? He wouldn't take a pay cut. Why would he take a pay cut to come back here? No chance.

He is the missing piece..... If he can play linebacker and QB...and yes they should have kept him.

We've seen so many high pick DB misses coinciding with his career. McK, Williams, Tillman, yobooty, corner, Ko, yada.. Also picked Clements and McGee in that time who weren't misses, Clements being a similar story to Antoine....

Oh well live n learn....

I know I'm going to be in the minority but I will go ahead and say that although I liked Winfield, I was actually not that impressed by him during his time in Buffalo. When Winfield came to the Bills they had the #1 pass defense in the NFL. When he left it was #31. There was a steady decline in the Bills defense during his time here and despite people constantly saying that the Bills had one of the best CB tandems in the league (with Clements) the Bills were in the bottom half of the league in pass defense the last two years before he left. I know that they had no pass rush then but if your CBs are supposed to be that good how can your pass defense be near the bottom?

Season Pass Defense Rank

1999 1

2000 4

2001 13

2002 27

2003 31

Leading up to the 1999 draft I had a running argument with a guy here who was determined that Winfield was going to be the next Darell Green. My issue with Winfield was a lack of interception production. The Bills rode turnover production to 4 straight Super Bowls and I thought it was a mistake to target a guy like Winfield who had a history of not intercepting the ball at Ohio State when they already had Thomas Smith on the other side. For those who don't know, Thomas Smith was a top notch cover guy but he could not catch a pass to save his life. Sure enough, Winfleld and Smith combined for just 1 interception in 1999, Winfield finished his 5 year career in Buffalo with a whopping 6 interceptions and the Bills let him walk. However, when he went to Minnesota he actually got better. He has had a real good career. The funny thing is that he and Nate Clements were both starters for teams that were in the playoffs last year. They are on the long list of successful 1st round defensive back selections by the Bills........which goes to show you how much that matters.

One of my all-time favorite Bills. If we're going to sign a veteran stopgap as a #3 for a year or so, I'd rather it be Antoine Winfield than Drayton Florence.

florence had a big heart and great instincts, but was slow, slow, slow and got torched mutiple times his last year in Buffalo. that is why he is gone! (Never to be seen here again, I hope)

So who's gonna win the Super Bowl this year?

San Fran or Seattle?

It's a long road and both have young qbs. Health will also be a big factor. They are obvious favorites today, but if I'm betting the NFC west vs the field I'm still taking the field.

Not me.

We'll see.

One of them is at best a wildcard. And you still have the saints with a big chip on their shoulders, Atlanta, Green Bay.... That's just the NFC. The pats are always a contender, and the broncos have added pieces....

And then you never know when a team like Dallas, the giants, Philly, redskins if rg3 is healthy can be a handful, Detroit, Chicago - all dangerous in a one and done playoff game....

Edited by NoSaint