1 Year Deals

Virgil

I'm surprised there hasn't been any complaints from the NFLPA yet around the way Free Agency has worked out so far. For starters, let me clarify that I don't know what's going on and I have no real opinion of why it's happening.

However, I can't remember a Free Agency where so many players took 1 or 2 year deals. We are seeing players who were getting 5-6 mil a year just a few years back take 1 year vet minimum deals. I know that some teams are in salary cap trouble, but that doesn't come close to explaining it.

Yes, there are some players who've cashed in. But I look at who is left out there and is there any reason to believe that these guys won't get the same 1 year deals?

The only thing I can think of is that the players can't get the massive contracts they are looking for so they are willing to try and take a 1 year "try-out" and get it next year. But at the same time, I'm surprised that the NFLPA hasn't said anything to implement that all the NFL is colluding together with deals being offered. Again, I'm not saying that's the case, but I've seen them complain over less.

Overall, I think it's great for teams like the Bills who have a lot of holes to fill and will continue to be able to pick up impact players for cheap then make the call next year if they are worth extending.

But again, just haven't seen this in a while

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're wondering why the NFLPA isn't complaining about something you're not saying is taking place and are not sure is going on or have a real opinion as to why it might or might not be happening?

Wake up NFLPA!

Yeah, well.....re-read your post.

Anyway, you answer your own question (kind of) by noting: " But I look at who is left out there and is there any reason to believe that these guys won't get the same 1 year deals?"

Aging/mediocre/crappy players lingering on the FA market are getting 1 year deals---and this is "collusion"?

I count 7 FA's in CBSSports top 100 who got 1 year deals from their new teams. Only one (Bennet) is in the top 50. And how many are getting the "vet minimum"?

Edited by Mr. WEO

honestly the players and agents are getting wise to all the empty money in the long term deals . it is all about the guarenteed money. example player A gets a 4 year 16 million dollar offer with 5 million in guarenteed, player B gets a 1 year 3.5 million dollar deal. On the surface player A looks like he makes out ,however the player on the one year deal rolls the dice and hits the market next year, hoping to land one of the "big deals"that are handed out or simplly singns another one year deal and still ends up with more money.

the levitre type ccontracts are rare ,looking back at this off season maybe 10-15 players got those type of deals

Edited by jcbillsfan

the NFLPA is not complaining because the Executive Director SCREWED UP......he told the players the salary cap would go up, but it hasn't and it won't next year either. the market is very soft, so it is in most players best interest to not sign a long term deal, in hopes the market improves.

the NFLPA is not complaining because the Executive Director SCREWED UP......he told the players the salary cap would go up, but it hasn't and it won't next year either. the market is very soft, so it is in most players best interest to not sign a long term deal, in hopes the market improves.

excellent point.

Who knows though we may see a trend of one year deals for guys over 30. If teams do stick together to this approach it would be better for the teams. Guys like John Abraham may be forced to keep making one year deals and keep proving for the next 2 years or so they deserve them....

So you're wondering why the NFLPA isn't complaining about something you're not saying is taking place and are not sure is going on or have a real opinion as to why it might or might not be happening?

Wake up NFLPA!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is correct, the cap is going up about 2% this year and next year is no better.

The players made a mistake when they hired a snake oil salesman to represent them. I'm sure we'll be seeing smith start the rhetoric shortly and file a lawsuit.

Yes, that's partially it, also it's the new dynamic of the explosion of the increased perceived value on QB's. Franchise QB contracts are now accounting for 15-20% of entire team salary caps.

First, the cap will go up every year that all league revenues go up. Therefore it is going up for the 2013 season. Pretty straight forward.

Second, in a "soft market" (not many very good FA's) it would be in any not very good FA's best interest to maximize the duration of his contract.

The players made a mistake when they hired a snake oil salesman to represent them. I'm sure we'll be seeing smith start the rhetoric shortly and file a lawsuit.

A lawsuit...over what, exactly?

Anyway, any player being offered only a one year contract is getting that because no team wants to spend money on the guy. The majority of top FA's got multiyear contracts. There is no mystery here.

Yes, that's partially it, also it's the new dynamic of the explosion of the increased perceived value on QB's. Franchise QB contracts are now accounting for 15-20% of entire team salary caps.

is that really THAT new though? go back 10 years and drew bledsoes 10m per year with a 68m cap took up a good 15% for instance, heck, brunell was 17% in 2001 (randomly mentioned when i was checking the cap for the year bledsoe signed that deal). by comparison, a 20m a year contract is 16% today

the numbers just look crazy as in 15 years the cap has tripled from 40m, to over 120m

Edited by NoSaint

A lawsuit...over what, exactly?

Anyway, any player being offered only a one year contract is getting that because no team wants to spend money on the guy. The majority of top FA's got multiyear contracts. There is no mystery here.

I don't know. Ask Smith. He's been filing and threatening a number of suits that seem to be things that should have covered in the CBA.

The point being that teams may not be spending money due to the salary cap not increasing at the rate it has been and teams have cut more players (greater supply) and teams have less cap room (less demand) which means that teams are able to sign players to more team friendly contracts.

Edited by jeremy2020

Two more 1 year deals today and a 2 year deal. Just saying...

Players signed one year deals last year because they were worried about getting jobs with the tight cap space. Now, the cap has not gone up much and their stuck in the same boat. Most teams don't have alot of cap space and players realise this and want to be working this year so they sign lower one year deals.

is that really THAT new though? go back 10 years and drew bledsoes 10m per year with a 68m cap took up a good 15% for instance, heck, brunell was 17% in 2001 (randomly mentioned when i was checking the cap for the year bledsoe signed that deal). by comparison, a 20m a year contract is 16% today

the numbers just look crazy as in 15 years the cap has tripled from 40m, to over 120m

This was before the recent string of QB signings

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/quarterback/

This was before the recent string of QB signings

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/quarterback/

I guess in not sure what your getting at.... Aren't flacco and romo the only two missing?

All I was saying was annual average vs salary cap might be slightly different but generally it's stayed pretty close. Do an average on a lot of those instead of a single year excluding bonus money I think you see pretty similar numbers across time.

15 years ago the cap was 40m is something most have a hard time wrapping their heads around. Heck it was in the 80s like 6 years ago