I wonder what Jason Peters' teammates think of him.

Good psychology. Now Peters is my guy and what, Wood is your guy? Guess what neither guy BELONGS to any body. A pro football player's career is tenuous at best when you count injuries, don't be upset when a player shows the resolve of a real businessman to use maximum leverage when he has it. Leverage is also a tenuous advantage when you count the clock on the wall. What would Peters get on the open market the week after his achilles injury?

Wood is the guy I would rather have right now. Yes, both those guys belong to the team who pays them. And I'm glad the Bills are not paying a whiner who sits out becaise the team "is losing anyway". I doubt that Peters is a real businessman, lol. Maybe his agent is. I wouldn't give him that much credit.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wood is the guy I would rather have right now. Yes, both those guys belong to the team who pays them. And I'm glad the Bills are not paying a whiner who sits out becaise the team "is losing anyway". I doubt that Peters is a real businessman, lol. Maybe his agent is. I wouldn't give him that much credit.

You say that now after the achilles injury. Again, in light of that fact don't you see the logic of playing hardball and getting paid as much as possible when you can? How can you pay all that money to the 3 scrubs Levy brought in at top dollar just to pay a great LT peanuts? Levy created an instantly bloated investment in an O-line doomed to fail and put the team out of position to pay Peters his due which would have shut him up and focused him back on football for the foreseeable future. I like Glenn, but he is no Peters yet. Levy's tenure took a struggling team and made them worse. Now there is a man who definitely has never outsmarted anybody except for Ralph and perhaps himself.

I remember reading an article where he was quoted saying something along the lines of he didnt feel that bad when he gave up sacks while in Buffalo because he wasnt getting a new deal.

I dont care if you want more money thats normal but to say that you gave up on plays or didnt feel bad when you had a bad game is totally different.

Karma sucks Peters

CBF

Keep in mind that there is a full 4 year difference between the 2, Peters turned 31 in January and Wood turned 27 last month. I would have to say that it's a lot harder for Peters to come back from an injury than it is for Wood. At this point in time I'd take Wood hands down vs Peters, the attitude is an extra bonus for us. Bye bye Peters, I hope the ankle holds up.

If Wood had been a free agent this offseason do you think the Bills would have extended his contract? For even the league average for a starting center? I really doubt it. They signed Colin Brown to a 2 year deal and I think they intend to give Brown a chance to replace Wood, whether this season or when they let Wood go.

I remember reading an article where he was quoted saying something along the lines of he didnt feel that bad when he gave up sacks while in Buffalo because he wasnt getting a new deal.

I dont care if you want more money thats normal but to say that you gave up on plays or didnt feel bad when you had a bad game is totally different.

Karma sucks Peters

CBF

Who are these Bills fans talking about karma?

Peters got his contract, he got the accolades, he has actually played on a winning team.........I don't know what the Bills did to deserve 13 years of irrelevance but it must've been worse than holding out for a contract. :rolleyes:

You say that now after the achilles injury. Again, in light of that fact don't you see the logic of playing hardball and getting paid as much as possible when you can? How can you pay all that money to the 3 scrubs Levy brought in at top dollar just to pay a great LT peanuts? Levy created an instantly bloated investment in an O-line doomed to fail and put the team out of position to pay Peters his due which would have shut him up and focused him back on football for the foreseeable future. I like Glenn, but he is no Peters yet. Levy's tenure took a struggling team and made them worse. Now there is a man who definitely has never outsmarted anybody except for Ralph and perhaps himself.

I agree with you that Levy screwed things up, but I still don't agree on how Peters and his agent handled things. It seems to me that Peters really struggled when he got to Philly in the beginning. I also think he's already positioning himself for the next contract. Do you reeally believe that he carried his team, like he said? Yes, football players have short careers and money is important, but teams don't win with a team full of guys like that. A team needs guys who have competive juices who want to win. Peters is saying he's 100% now, but didn't Merrimen say that too? That's a tough injury to rebound from.

Edited by first_and_ten

If Wood had been a free agent this offseason do you think the Bills would have extended his contract? For even the league average for a starting center? I really doubt it. They signed Colin Brown to a 2 year deal and I think they intend to give Brown a chance to replace Wood, whether this season or when they let Wood go.

Let's not play the "if" game. It's hard enough trying to figure out what this front office is up to let alone dragging hypothetical scenarios into the mix. All I said was at this point in time I'd rather have Wood over Peters. Who would you rather have?

Agreed, I just didn't like someone saying he was far and away the best LT in the league

Usually neither do I, and I am not the guy who said that.

Except the guy who did is, IMO, the most knowledgeable and astute pro football fan in the history of this board. ;) That doesn't mean he's always right though.

Except the guy who did is, IMO, the most knowledgeable and astute pro football fan in the history of this board. ;) That doesn't mean he's always right though.

I didn't mean to pin that on you. I should have been clearer. Are You now saying this guy is far and away the most astute fan on this board? :rolleyes:

Let's not play the "if" game. It's hard enough trying to figure out what this front office is up to let alone dragging hypothetical scenarios into the mix. All I said was at this point in time I'd rather have Wood over Peters. Who would you rather have?

No question, Peters. Wood is an average center with two fragile legs. Like I said, I really believe they inked Colin Brown for two years to possibly replace Wood next year.

No question, Peters. Wood is an average center with two fragile legs. Like I said, I really believe they inked Colin Brown for two years to possibly replace Wood next year.

Really? Coming off the achilles injury? And signing Colin Brown for 2 years does what? You have to be joking

Edited by first_and_ten

I agree with you that Levy screwed things up, but I still don't agree on how Peters and his agent handled things. It seems to me that Peters really struggled when he got to Philly in the beginning. I also think he's already positioning himself for the next contract. Do you reeally believe that he carried his team, like he said? Yes, football players have short careers and money is important, but teams don't win with a team full of guys like that. A team needs guys who have competive juices who want to win. Peters is saying he's 100% now, but didn't Merrimen say that too? That's a tough injury to rebound from.

See, this is the problem with some fans. You are complaining about whether his claims of grandeur are accurate. Who cares what these guys say or think. They get paid to play football, not advance social science. As for a team full of guys like that, the Dallas Cowboys entire organization in the mid 1990's comes to mind. Are you saying that Peters doesn't have competitive juices and doesn't want to win?

Really? Coming off the achilles injury? And signing Colin Brown for 2 years does what? You have to be joking

Wood has 1 year remaining on his contract. They recently signed his backup, Colin Brown, to a two year deal.

Brown fits the gargantuan dimensions that Buddy Nix prefers in his OL(see basically all of Buddy Nix OL acquisitions).

Wood, while not terribly athletic....is also not exceptionally large. He routinely gives up 30-40 pounds to opposing NT's.

I think they would like to replace him with a bigger player. Whether they can do it with one of their scrap heap acquisitions like Brown remains to be seen, but I think that's the plan.

And Wood certainly hasn't inspired confidence by never completing a full season. He shouldn't have come back late last season, he was awful when he did. Should have been IR'ed in November.

Buddy's OL plan has been my stated opinion for some time now, and the subsequent, thoroughly uncontested departure of the undersized Andy Levitre is only further evidence that Buddy wants to re-shape this OL into a group of five 330-340 pound blockers.

And yes, I would rather have Peters coming off of an achilles injury than Wood, at ANY point in their careers. Achilles injuries were career ending in the days of Sam Cowart. The achilles injury made Takeo Spikes a lesser player........but he played good football for the better part of a decade after his injury.

The arc being what it is with achilles injuries, it is even possible that Peters bounces back near completely over the next two seasons. At worst, I think he could move to the right side and be an excellent RT or become a dominant interior lineman.

Honestly, I think Peters will still be playing well AFTER Wood is retired. I said that at the time of the trade and I still feel the same way.

I appreciate the compliment and nobody is always right. :flirt:

Thanks for saving me the time posting the same thing. When healthy, he was one of the best players in the history of the Bills.

He was also a great pass protector but I must say, Pace was a pretty fair run blocker in his own right. :lol:

Pace was a great player, but I think Peters is an even better athlete. I think when Pace was at Ohio State he was the best run blocking OT in all of football, NFL included.

That said, I remember an ancient Bruce Smith putting up multiple sack games against both Pace and Walter Jones while with the Redskins. I recently saw an NFL network top 10 worst free agent signings show and Bruce was depicted there with Deion Sanders in Washington. The guy was like 40 and had 10 sacks in a season for the Skins.......what did they think they were getting? :worthy:

I think it is important to note that Buffalo was pretty smart to trade Peters and not throw $$ at Bell. Sometimes it is the moves you don't make that are important.