I wonder what Jason Peters' teammates think of him.

Who said he was the best in 2011? Jason Peters? I'm sure if he is the source, then it is true. He was not far and away the best LT in the NFL, even in 2011. Where do you get this from?

Again, I love that folks gloss over that he was a LT for a left handed qb. He was a RT essentially for Vick.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said he was the best in 2011? Jason Peters? I'm sure if he is the source, then it is true. He was not far and away the best LT in the NFL, even in 2011. Where do you get this from?

He was first team All Pro and got the most votes. He was a starter in the Pro Bowl and got the most votes. He was graded out by the metrics sites as the best OT in the game.

Of course the Bills knew he wanted a new deal. What kind of world do you live in where you actual believe any player would just sit at home and not tell his team ANYTHING, just staying away. That's insane. They knew what he wanted. Peters actually liked Buffalo a lot and wanted to stay. He just wanted to be paid what he and his agent thought he was worth, which was 10m a season, the going rate for a top LT at the time. The Bills wanted him, too, and offered him 9m. That means they thought he was GREAT. They just didn't want to pay him 10m a season, which was a very reasonable opinion at the time.

Personally, I would have paid him the 10m he was worth in the marketplace but I understood not paying him that. He wanted the Bills to up their offer and they finally decided it wasn't worth it, and found some team who WAS willing to pay him his market worth of 10m. And he became the best LT in the game.

Since he has been injured so much, it cannot be looked at as a total win for the Eagles. But if they had to do it again, I think they do it again in a heartbeat.

its a business and sometimes things just dont come together. he was a very good player but thought a little higher of himself than the team did. some teams agreed with his assessment and he tried to go to one of them. its business. so be it. you just have to wish in that situation it doesnt have to go so ugly and he can come in and play at his best despite the time away. i cant (and dont) fault him for wanting to get paid, but maturity certainly seems to be a consistent issue for him. its unfortunate.

even in these comments - i dont think hes unreasonable coming off a serious injury, that he had already reinjured once if the team is all but out of it. taking the extra months to make sure you are healthy and safe instead of risking what might be career ending if hes too early.... but you dont say it. similarly he just went that extra little bit too far with his im the best lineman in the league - you can say that but dont say you carry your team and they werent successful because you are the key to their success. acknowledge you wish you wouldve been able to do more, hated missing time and move on. he has a ton of talent, he just seems to be terribly immature.

Edited by NoSaint

It got him the deal he wanted? What else was there supposed to be? A Lombardi Trophy? A unicorn?

As for Peter's,if that deal was so bogus why did Peters sign it? He never spoke to the Bills about his desire for a new deal. He just stayed home and pouted like a spoiled little girl. Now he's the Eagles problem. Good riddance.

PTR

You left out the part where Peters got exactly what he wanted. He got traded, paid, played and laid. Got a year off for a terrible injury, and because he plays for the Eagles, will get the benefit of the doubt for a good return in 2013. Fred didn't have a lot of leverage, but he still underachieved in that regard. For any man with a family that is risky, regardless of how much or little money is involved. You act like these amazing opportunities that players have just come and go everyday and that they should not be businessmen when negotiating with billionaire businessmen.

He was first team All Pro and got the most votes. He was a starter in the Pro Bowl and got the most votes. He was graded out by the metrics sites as the best OT in the game.

We all know that first team all pro does not make him the best Left tackle in the league.Joe thomas was better. I have no problem with you calling him a good or even great left tackle. But to try and say he was far and away the best in the league is ridiculous. I can find numerous football sources that list the best left tackles of 2011 and he's not even in the top 5. You want to make him the greatest left tackle to ever play the game because you have an agenda. The Bills drafted Wood with that pock. That's a pretty good trade off for a selfish , me first player

We all know that first team all pro does not make him the best Left tackle in the league.Joe thomas was better. I have no problem with you calling him a good or even great left tackle. But to try and say he was far and away the best in the league is ridiculous. I can find numerous football sources that list the best left tackles of 2011 and he's not even in the top 5. You want to make him the greatest left tackle to ever play the game because you have an agenda. The Bills drafted Wood with that pock. That's a pretty good trade off for a selfish , me first player

Wood is a part timer as well, so that kind of worked out.

Show me a legitimate source that says he wasn't in the top five. First team All Pro with the most votes is probably the best indicator. Look at the roster of any year of All Pro and you would almost have to agree. The combination of All Pro with most votes, Pro Bowl with most votes, metrics with best stats, and all kinds of national media saying he is the very best is the very best indicator. You cannot say that about anyone else in 2011. I also didn't say he was far and away the best in the league.

numerous sources putting his play outside the top 5 in 2011?

go for it. im curious to see them. i wont say it doesnt exist but he was pretty darn good. good enough that he has reason to believe he is/can be the best. the issue is how he went about discussing that, more than the actual claim in my opinion.

He is an a-hole but he was the best LT in the NFL prior to this injury.....by a wide margin......and until proven otherwise he is still to be considered a star LT. From a talent exchange perspective, the Peters trade was a disaster for the Bills and since it hasn't netted any positive change in the Bills fortunes on the field it is fair now to say that it was another utter failure for the Bills. The mean-nature of Peters no doubt helps him be the best run blocking left tackle the NFL has seen in decades.

Thanks for saving me the time posting the same thing. When healthy, he was one of the best players in the history of the Bills.

He was also a great pass protector but I must say, Pace was a pretty fair run blocker in his own right. :lol:

Jason Peters is Darelle Revis...but 400lbs fatter at 10% as talented. And peters might be the stupidest player in the league.

But hey, I suppose hes ok if you only ask him to block air and not require him to do anything as mentally taxing as noticing and blocking a blitzing safety.

Again, I love that folks gloss over that he was a LT for a left handed qb. He was a RT essentially for Vick.

This. This is the most important thing to remember. He wasn't a blindside protector which is the normal role for the LT. If anyone beat Peters, Vick was able to see it and react to it. Therefore less qb hits, sacks, fumbles, and when you add in Vick's escapability, qb pressures. These are the statitstics that o-lineman are measured by and he was helped tremendously by essentially being a RT.

I don't hate Peters. I don't have an agenda against him. I AM however very much in the good riddance camp. He sat out, came in out of shape, and admitted to not putting forth his best effort. I don't care who was making what (Dockery, Walker, or Peters) - that is unacceptable. The trade netted Eric Wood so it wasn't a terrible deal, Peters also still can't be counted on to be healthy and available at the end of the year, add it all up and it was nice knowin ya!

Show me a legitimate source that says he wasn't in the top five. First team All Pro with the most votes is probably the best indicator. Look at the roster of any year of All Pro and you would almost have to agree. The combination of All Pro with most votes, Pro Bowl with most votes, metrics with best stats, and all kinds of national media saying he is the very best is the very best indicator. You cannot say that about anyone else in 2011. I also didn't say he was far and away the best in the league.

this is just one

http://espn.go.com/b...10-left-tackles

now you show me "all kinds of media saying he the very best"

I was wrong to imply you said he was far and away the best. But you did respond to my post replying to someone who did. So I assumed you agreed with him

This. This is the most important thing to remember. He wasn't a blindside protector which is the normal role for the LT. If anyone beat Peters, Vick was able to see it and react to it. Therefore less qb hits, sacks, fumbles, and when you add in Vick's escapability, qb pressures. These are the statitstics that o-lineman are measured by and he was helped tremendously by essentially being a RT.

I don't hate Peters. I don't have an agenda against him. I AM however very much in the good riddance camp. He sat out, came in out of shape, and admitted to not putting forth his best effort. I don't care who was making what (Dockery, Walker, or Peters) - that is unacceptable. The trade netted Eric Wood so it wasn't a terrible deal, Peters also still can't be counted on to be healthy and available at the end of the year, add it all up and it was nice knowin ya!

I agree with your post. I do think there are people with an agenda against the Bills that try to make Peters the second coming in order to make the Bills look bad. He's good, But as your post states, for various reasons, good riddance. THe Bills are not bad because of trading Peters.

numerous sources putting his play outside the top 5 in 2011?

go for it. im curious to see them. i wont say it doesnt exist but he was pretty darn good. good enough that he has reason to believe he is/can be the best. the issue is how he went about discussing that, more than the actual claim in my opinion.

or just google 2011 top left tackles

Edited by first_and_ten

this is just one

I was wrong to imply you said he was far and away the best. But you did respond to my post replying to someone who did. So I assumed you agreed with him

I agree with your post. I do think there are people with an agenda against the Bills that try to make Peters the second coming in order to make the Bills look bad. He's good, But as your post states, for various reasons, good riddance. THe Bills are not bad because of trading Peters.

That poll was in august 2011, before the 2011 season when Peters dominated and became the best LT in the game, which is what people here calling Peters the best, including me, were all talking about.

this is just one

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/21646/power-rankings-top-10-left-tackles

that was BEFORE his 2011 season. just an fyi. most would agree 2011 was when he really peaked.

interestingly enough, the only one without him in the top 10 was ol timmy graham.

That poll was in august 2011, before the 2011 season when Peters dominated and became the best LT in the game, which is what people here calling Peters the best, including me, were all talking about.

fair enough..this shows he's not the best

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8268257/nfl-scouts-inc-2012-top-offensive-tackle-rankings

that was BEFORE his 2011 season. just an fyi. most would agree 2011 was when he really peaked.

interestingly enough, the only one without him in the top 10 was ol timmy graham.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8268257/nfl-scouts-inc-2012-top-offensive-tackle-rankings

they gave him a grade 1 point out of first place. its at best splitting hairs in the argument (if you give up the far away comment that i think you are still arguing against). he is one of the best, and an argument could be made for the best. like i said, i dont think you can really kill him on his assertion that hes the best, as much as the way he went about saying it.

they gave him a grade 1 point out of first place. its at best splitting hairs in the argument (if you give up the far away comment that i think you are still arguing against). he is one of the best, and an argument could be made for the best. like i said, i dont think you can really kill him on his assertion that hes the best, as much as the way he went about saying it.

Some one said he was far away the best, which is what I argued against. I never tried to say he was not very good.Obviously he's very good. In my opinion, we did however, do very well in that trade, based on who we got and Peter's attitute. Also Peters suffered an achilles injury which is very difficult to come back from and be the same player he once was. Yes, Wood has been injured, but not an injury he can't fully recover from. Peters was one of the best on 2012, I give you that, but we'll see if he can get back to that level.

he is a team player, unlike your guy

Good psychology. Now Peters is my guy and what, Wood is your guy? Guess what neither guy BELONGS to any body. A pro football player's career is tenuous at best when you count injuries, don't be upset when a player shows the resolve of a real businessman to use maximum leverage when he has it. Leverage is also a tenuous advantage when you count the clock on the wall. What would Peters get on the open market the week after his achilles injury?

Also Peters suffered an achilles injury which is very difficult to come back from and be the same player he once was. Yes, Wood has been injured, but not an injury he can't fully recover from. Peters was one of the best on 2012, I give you that, but we'll see if he can get back to that level.

Keep in mind that there is a full 4 year difference between the 2, Peters turned 31 in January and Wood turned 27 last month. I would have to say that it's a lot harder for Peters to come back from an injury than it is for Wood. At this point in time I'd take Wood hands down vs Peters, the attitude is an extra bonus for us. Bye bye Peters, I hope the ankle holds up.