Marrone Changes Practice Facility

SKRAAPY

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree this stuff won't do a lot for us, there's no way hanging banners and visualizing your goal can possibly be a negative. To get worked up over this is just as ridiculous as getting excited over it.

Just my opinion...I like Doug, but it appears his mind is made up on whether Effort will be drafted as a TE for the Bills.

Agreed. Also didn't you think it was stupid for them to hang the Lombardi Trophy outside of the right upright?

They botched the whole thing, IMO.

Agreed. Also didn't you think it was stupid for them to hang the Lombardi Trophy outside of the right upright?

Bingo!! Do you think they positioned it "wide right" by accident?? Marrone did it on purpose because he is a closet Giants fan.

I know.

I'm not understanding his equating technology with the sissification of the sport.

Kind of nonsensical.

What I don't understand is why someone who feels that technology = sissification is posting such thoughts on an Internet discussion board.

What's wrong with that? The picture of his face is weird but I'm a teacher and I made a motivational poster with the same message:

1. Know where you're at

2. Know where you're supposed to be

3. DO YOUR JOB

I cribbed it from a high school football coach / teacher a while ago and I can't remember who it was. It may have been originally cribbed form Sean Payton idk. But it is applicable in the classroom as well as on the field, and I like to refer to it when kids are acting up or slacking- Asking them what they're doing vs what they should be doing, etc.

I think it sends the same message Marrone is putting out there: If you're "doing your job," the results should take care of themselves.

Basically saying "I tried" is not good enough. Because if there's no results to back it up, you obviously didn't try hard enough (and aren't doing your job).

PS No need to comment on the "teacher using poor grammar" angle- I'm not using the motivational poster as an instructional aid. It comes across much better than "Consider your current actions in relation to what you are trying to achieve, and reorient yourself toward your goals." These are inner city junior high students :thumbsup:

They're trying to sign Urlacher, duh.

I'd wager it was originally cribbed from Arthur Ashe: “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.”

It's a Bills tradition.

Another reason I already love this Maroon character. Fits up well and Excellent sense of humor.

GO Bills!!

Gregg-O started training camp with a 5:00AM air horn. We all thought that was good. Mularkey fed them cheeseburgers. We all thought that was good. Dick brought in the Tampa 2. We all thought that was good. Chan took out the wide screen TVs from the training rooms. We all thought that was good.

Winning is the only thing that really is good. I won't be impressed with anything this team does until they start winning and continue to win, and become once more the best team in the League. They were that once. High time they are that again.

Exactly

You play to win the game... not to play hard and lose all the damn time.

Kids, adults, professionals... Motivation is motivation. I seriously doubt he hung the banners and called it a day. I'm sure there are plenty of other messages being put out their and tactics to accompany them. You can see from some of the player tweets that these guys are excited.

This guy got the job and has had success for a reason. We aren't nfl coaches nor do we work with nfl personalities. We have no idea what works and what doesn't.

All I recognize is that it's something different and we need different

Edited by Derek in Va

@buffalobills

For those asking: Banners and motivational graphics at One #Bills Drive were created by VSP Marketing Group, a #Buffalo based team partner.

Hey..that is encouraging growth of local business...Go Bills

Kids, adults, professionals... Motivation is motivation. I seriously doubt he hung the banners and called it a day. I'm sure there are plenty of other messages being put out their and tactics to accompany them. You can see from some of the player tweets that these guys are excited.

This guy got the job and has had success for a reason. We aren't nfl coaches nor do we work with nfl personalities. We have no idea what works and what doesn't.

All I recognize is that it's something different and we need different

Yet...He will need a QB to be successful in this league!

I don't know how many people here have worked in a team like environment. I have, and I know first hand how important attitude is. Attitude is perhaps more important than anything else. The Bills need to have the attitude that they have just as good of a chance at winning as the next team. They have to have the attitude that if they work hard they can achieve success. It doesn't hurt to remind them what SUCCESS is - after all, I have complained A LOT on this board about how the Bills FO seems to think that just making the playoffs is successful. It has seemed that Buffalo's FO had a handicapped mentality. So, I'm pleased to know that Marrone and Pettine are going to keep these players accountable to the level of absolute success - that is Championship quality play.

If a team like San Fran or Baltimore, or Seattle, or New England didn't go into the offseason programs, and training camp, with the attitude that they're going to go out and BE BETTER than the other teams, that they're working to DOMINATE their opponents, that they have to work harder to achieve more - then they wouldn't be as successful. That attitude is the initial internal motivator that leads to increased work ethic, dedication, team comraderie, and I'm all for any attempts to foster that.

By the way - a lot of these players are never going to rise up much from that college mindset. I mean, their lives, especially in-season, are regimented a lot like a college players. And, a good percentage of our team is young, just out of college. I don't think winning ways in a college program would be much less successful in a Bills program just because some of the guys are older. At this point I think the years of losing is enough impetus for all the Bills players to try any approach to get better results.

Lets give Marrone and Pettine a chance here. I, for one, view them both as serious, aggressive, alpha type personalities. They aren't going to tolerate losing. I expect this team to be competitive right away, and be pushing for a playoff spot this year.

I'm watching 30 on 30. The episode is on the North Carolina State hoop team that amazingly won the National Championship in the 80s. When Jim Valvano showed up for his first practice he had the guys get on ladders and cut down the nets before they started. And did it every year. The third year they won it in a huge upset.