Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

That's almost impossible considering Marrone has coached Nassib for four years. He should know with about 90% certainty whether Nassib is a franchise QB like Drew Brees or if he's not. Marroane coached with the Saints, he knows what level he's looking for in his QB.

If Marrone has only a 50-50 read on whether Nassib is a franchise QB he's the biggest idiot employed in the NFL. If the Bills pass on Nassib at #8 (which I hope they do since I think he's a clip board holder at the NFL level), then the Bills don't think Nassib is a franchise QB at all and they'll target another QB in this draft.

People just assume that and I just don't think that is remotely true. If that were true, then college coaches would be making millions of dollars being paid by NFL teams to tell them which quarterbacks were franchise guys because they would know with 90% certainty before the draft if their guy was. Kaepernick's coach would have known for sure and Blaine Gabbert's coach would have known no way. In fact, the more you think of it, it's a ridiculous assumption that he knows with any certainty.

I have worked with writers for a long time and know their stuff inside and out. Do I know whether or not with any certainty they will turn into great writers in the future? Hell no. I have an opinion. But a lot of times a guy does some things well and some things not so well, which is the case with Nassib, and you cannot predict if it will translate at the professional level.

In fact, in some elements, Marrone may be too close to know. Especially because Nassib has gotten better and better each year. Does that automatically mean he is going to continue this same ascension in a 1000% more difficult situation? Or that it is easily predictable? Hell no. What if Hackett and Marrone have different feelings about him? Just because these two guys are very close and on the same page doesn't mean their evaluations of players is going to be exactly the same.

The fact is, Nassib has never ever played as well as he needs to play to be a franchise QB in the NFL. Not one of these guys has. Andrew Luck was the only QB I can think of in the last 20 years where his college coach would know for 90% certainty this guy is going to be an NFL franchise QB. I'm sure a lot of coaches thought their guy would be and maybe even would bet on it. And a lot of them would have been dead wrong.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People just assume that and I just don't think that is remotely true. If that were true, then college coaches would be making millions of dollars being paid by NFL teams to tell them which quarterbacks were franchise guys because they would know with 90% certainty before the draft if their guy was. Kaepernick's coach would have known for sure and Blaine Gabbert's coach would have known no way. In fact, the more you think of it, it's a ridiculous assumption that he knows with any certainty.

I have worked with writers for a long time and know their stuff inside and out. Do I know whether or not with any certainty they will turn into great writers in the future? Hell no. I have an opinion. But a lot of times a guy does some things well and some things not so well, which is the case with Nassib, and you cannot predict if it will translate at the professional level.

In fact, in some elements, Marrone may be too close to know. Especially because Nassib has gotten better and better each year. Does that automatically mean he is going to continue this same ascension in a 1000% more difficult situation? Or that it is easily predictable? Hell no. What if Hackett and Marrone have different feelings about him? Just because these two guys are very close and on the same page doesn't mean their evaluations of players is going to be exactly the same.

The fact is, Nassib has never ever played as well as he needs to play to be a franchise QB in the NFL. Not one of these guys has. Andrew Luck was the only QB I can think of in the last 20 years where his college coach would know for 90% certainty this guy is going to be an NFL franchise QB. I'm sure a lot of coaches thought their guy would be and maybe even would bet on it. And a lot of them would have been dead wrong.

<p>People just assume that and I just don't think that is remotely true. If that were

Myself personally, I feel very strongly that from watching game tape of Nassib's play, he is going to become a franchise signal caller.

I know it doesn't mean squat, I'm just another fan, opinions are like A holes , everyone has one, but If I can see his potential it would not surprise me If Buddy Nix and the new regime has a good handle on what to expect in the future from Ryan Nassib

Could you see a scenario where they trade back into the 1st round for him?

No. I don't think Nix wants to give up picks to move back into the first when he can just take him at 8.

Why risk it? Just take who you like at 8 and be comfortable knowing you got your guy.

You know...I've been resisting it for a long time but I think I've finally come around to the idea. Is Nassib perfect? No. He doesn't have to be. Drew Brees isn't perfect, Russell Wilson isn't perfect, Colin Kaepernick isn't perfect. No QB in this draft is perfect.

In the end, Nassib took the system which the Bills are going to be running and thrived in it. He did it with a team that didn't have the talent that flocks to the big name programs, and he did it in WNY weather. He'd be coming into a team with an decent to good offensive line and two incredible running backs.

Marrone and Hackett know Nassib better than anyone. The people who have been watching tape instead of Bowl Games or the Combine say Nassib is a solid bet. If anyone is going to get the maximum usage out of him, it's them. I would not be dissapointed

What it comes down to is this... you have all of the input from all of the different scouting reports, the combine, the interviews, their pro day, personal workout, and their individual visits.

You also do your due dillegence in regards to backround checks, private investigations, interviews with former coaches, wonderlic test, and the new personality test.

Now... not too many former coaches are going to provide input on one of their former players that equates to less than a sunshine descriptive of them. They want their former player to succeed and get drafted high... that reflects well on the former coach and their program.

Now, in the case of Nassib. You have all of the above information on him plus all of the other QBs. In addition to that, you now have a former coach that no longer has skin in the game on his former program and that is all in on his new HC job with the Bills. He can, and will provide a more honest and fuller assessment of his former player, negative or positive. He won't give a sunshine assessment of him unless it's real. And that information will not be shared with anyone outside of Buddy, Whaley, and Brandon. That is a huge advantage that the Bills hold regarding Nassib over any other team, scout, pundit, or wannabee.

Lastly. If all the pundits have reached a consensus that Nassib will be selected by the Bills at 41 in a year that they claim has no clear QB deserving of a 1st round pick, then they've already made the connection or at least the perception that Marrone endorses Nassib. If that's the case, and Marrone is highly respected around the league, then that perceived endorsement would or should increase Nassib's value. So, what would prevent a team from jumping in front of the Bills at any point in the draft between #1 and #41 and grabbing Nassib? Therefore, if Nassib is the Bills guy, they either take him at #8 or risk losing him.

Personally, I believe they will select Nassib at #8. However, if they don't, I won't be dissapointed, because that could be an indicator of Marrone's assessment of Nassib and the Bills believe there is a player of higher value to them at #8.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

What it comes down to is this... you have all of the input from all of the different scouting reports, the combine, the interviews, their pro day, personal workout, and their individual visits.

You also do your due dillegence in regards to backround checks, private investigations, interviews with former coaches, wonderlic test, and the new personality test.

Now... not too many former coaches are going to provide input on one of their former players that equates to less than a sunshine descriptive of them. They want their former player to succeed and get drafted high... that reflects well on the former coach and their program.

Now, in the case of Nassib. You have all of the above information on him plus all of the other QBs. In addition to that, you now have a former coach that no longer has skin in the game on his former program and that is all in on his new HC job with the Bills. He can, and will provide a more honest and fuller assessment of his former player, negative or positive. He won't give a sunshine assessment of him unless it's real. And that information will not be shared with anyone outside of Buddy, Whaley, and Brandon. That is a huge advantage that the Bills hold regarding Nassib over any other team, scout, pundit, or wannabee.

Lastly. If all the pundits have reached a consensus that Nassib will be selected by the Bills at 41 in a year that they claim has no clear QB deserving of a 1st round pick, then they've already made the connection or at least the perception that Marrone endorses Nassib. If that's the case, and Marrone is highly respected around the league, then that perceived endorsement would or should increase Nassib's value. So, what would prevent a team from jumping in front of the Bills at any point in the draft between #1 and #41 and grabbing Nassib? Therefore, if Nassib is the Bills guy, they either take him at #8 or risk losing him.

Personally, I believe they will select Nassib at #8. However, if they don't, I won't be dissapointed, because that could be an indicator of Marrone's assessment of Nassib and the Bills believe there is a player of higher value to them at #8.

The Trooth be told, Not even a little? :flirt:

Not if the Bills trade back and get Nassib in the late first round, and get another pick to play with...I assume he means. :flirt:

No, I mean if they pass on Nassib at #8, Marrone & co. know more than we do and there is a reason for not selecting him at #8. If Nassib is still there at 41... 1) I'll eat my shorts, and 2) if the Bills don't select him at that point, it would reaffirm that Marrone doesn't believe in him. And, yeah, I'm OK with that. I won't Monday morning QB if Nassib goes somewhere else unless he turns out to be a top 12 QB. If that happens, you know it and I know it... if the Bills QB ain't ranked as high, then this whoile board is gonna go "Nancy Grace".

I'll throw out another consideration.... and there are many. Drew Brees is getting long in the tooth, and would it really be a surprise if he got past #8, for the saints to make a maneuver if he's there early second round?

RE: Buffalo "@mortreport: Growing belief around NFL it's Nassib or trade down if they can"

I will be absolutely done with this team

There is a good chance its going to happen. So better start packing your bags... :D

seriously, out of all the boneheaded picks the bills have made and this is what would do it, lol

Because this would demonstrate exactly what a small time third rate operation they are. Brandon comes out claiming absolute control of operations and promising big changes.

He hires a college coach (I do like the hire) from a local program who then comes in and reaches to draft a 2nd round QB who just so happened to be his college QB in the top 10. That would be it. I have been on the edge for awhile but if Marrone wants to turn OBD into Syracuse West, he's gonna be another failed hire.

If they go Nassib at 8, I will be off the BILL-iever wagon and on the "Prove it" train. Watched a bunch of his games and never thought he'd be mentioned as a 1st rounder. Just went back and watched about 4 games and wasnt impressed.

If they pick him, I'll back him, but he, Marrone, Nix/Whaley, and Brandon will all be putting their asses on the line.

If they go Nassib at 8, I will be off the BILL-iever wagon and on the "Prove it" train. Watched a bunch of his games and never thought he'd be mentioned as a 1st rounder. Just went back and watched about 4 games and wasnt impressed.

If they pick him, I'll back him, but he, Marrone, Nix/Whaley, and Brandon will all be putting their asses on the line.

Add Hackett to that list. And for that reason, I for one will feel pretty good if he is the pick. If he is not, I'll also feel confident they knew what they were (or were not) getting with him.

Add Hackett to that list. And for that reason, I for one will feel pretty good if he is the pick. If he is not, I'll also feel confident they knew what they were (or were not) getting with him.

That's the thing. Im trying to stay positive, give them the benefit of the doubt and think, "They know him better than anyone, so if he is the pick, it must be the right choice."

But that is assuming they arent just being the typical too-cute Bills.

When you're a slow, unathletic, average armed QB, I think it's fairly easy to predict whether or not that translates to the NFL. I can't think of one successful franchise QB in the last 15 years who didn't excel in at least one of those areas.

riddle me this, are these men's asses any less on the line if they pick barkley, smith, manuel, or any other qb? or any other player for that matter? and i'm with you, i'll back whoever they deem worthy of throwing into a red, white, and blue uniform.

When you're a slow, unathletic, average armed QB, I think it's fairly easy to predict whether or not that translates to the NFL. I can't think of one successful franchise QB in the last 15 years who didn't excel in at least one of those areas.

Really? I can think of 3 right off the top of my head.