Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

I do not have a link for this, but one of my employees is from Philly and is a die hard Eagles fan and was telling me today he was reading about how Philly is pretty high on Nassib and they had a lot of great conversations with him at the game where their whole staff was apparently. Nassib I guess is from Philly or something he was saying which is why it was being talked about a lot.

Anyway, I was thinking if that buzz is true and Bills really are going to target that kid, if other teams start showing legit and strong interest that is only going to make the Bills that more antsy on him and could lead to us reaching at #8 for him instead of the second round or trying to trade back into bottom of the first or top of 2nd to get him. Nix said if you like a guy in the 2nd, you gotta take him in the first remember in terms of QBs. I doubt Eagles would take him in the first ahead of us, but could easily snag him (if he even lasts that long) ahead of us in the 2nd.

I am intrigued by the kid, but I really prefer a less risky player at 8 like Jarvis Jones, Teo, or Ogletree.

Edit: I believe the game he was referring to was the Sr. Bowl...and here is a confirmed story from 8 hours ago about the meeting with the Eagles...

http://insidetheiggles.com/2013/01/23/nassib-on-meeting-with-eagles-that-was-cool-as-hell/

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not have a link for this, but one of my employees is from Philly and is a die hard Eagles fan and was telling me today he was reading about how Philly is pretty high on Nassib and they had a lot of great conversations with him at the game where their whole staff was apparently. Nassib I guess is from Philly or something he was saying which is why it was being talked about a lot.

What game? Their staff hasn't even been put together yet, and the most important guys, obviously Chip Kelly was about a week ago and Pat Shurmer was hired a day or two ago.

What game? Their staff hasn't even been put together yet, and the most important guys, obviously Chip Kelly was about a week ago and Pat Shurmer was hired a day or two ago.

I think he was referencing the Senior Bowl...here is an article from 8 hours ago...

http://insidetheiggles.com/2013/01/23/nassib-on-meeting-with-eagles-that-was-cool-as-hell/

I think he was referencing the Senior Bowl...here is an article from 8 hours ago...

http://insidetheiggl...s-cool-as-hell/

Got it. Cool, and thanks.

I have no idea if Nassib is going to be a good NFL QB. There is a LOT to like and a LOT to be concerned about. But I do think that A) even if Marrone/Nix/Whaley/hackett love the guy, they are also going to be looking at 10 other QBs, and B) Nassib is exactly the kind of player that rockets up the charts in the months leading up to the draft. I'm pretty sure he will be a #1 pick by someone, unless he tanks in the Senior Bowl or combine/workouts.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Got it. Cool, and thanks.

I have no idea if Nassib is going to be a good NFL QB. There is a LOT to like and a LOT to be concerned about. But I do think that A) even if Marrone/Nix/Whaley/hackett love the guy, they are also going to be looking at 10 other QBs, and B) Nassib is exactly the kind of player that rockets up the charts in the months leading up to the draft. I'm pretty sure he will be a #1 pick by someone, unless he tanks in the Senior Bowl or combine/workouts.

Yeah I hear ya, my concern is that Nassib is lumped in with just about every QB as none of them really at this point stand out above the rest. But at this time during the draft with Gabbert, he didnt either and then as it got close he rocketed up into the top 10. Same with Tannehill. So, given all the QB's are close to each other, my fear is the Bills are gonna feel the pressure to take one at 8, and even though Nassib is a good prospect, he isnt a number 8 pick prospect to me yet. I wont hate the pick, but I wouldnt love it at 8. I would love him in the 2nd, but I really doubt he makes it to us there with so many QB needy teams and he probably being one of the top 4 prospects at the position.

Anyone else concerned that if he has solid senior bowl and his stock rises, that he will go sooner than #8? As in Philly will take him at 4 or another team will trade up?

It could be argued that every team that picks prior to Buffalo (except Lions) could be shopping for a QB.

I don't know ... don't hold your breath if this kid's stock rises ... some other team will snap him up unless Buffalo trades up.

Edited by DallasBillsFan1

When you say less risky how can you refer to T'eo who got exposed by Alabama or Jarvis Jones who has a degenerative spine issue?

Gronk had the same alleged degenerative spine issue, and he's done just fine with that. The degenerative spine issue might shorten his career, but if he was a stud for 8 years you wouldnt take him at number 8? I would all day, and twice on Sunday. The issue is a long term concern, not a short term concern and why he will likely go top 10 unless more damning medical data comes out on it.

Teo still had 10 tackles against Alabama, so his terrible game wasnt a travesty. That whole team blew against Alabama, Teo can not do it all. That one game doesnt erase he previous dominance, leadership, and all around talent grade. In fact, if you look at all the top prospects every year, they all have a game or two on their resume that bring up question marks...thats why guys go 8, 9, or 10 instead of 1, 2, or 3. Teo is a top 10 prospect still and I would prefer him over a 2nd round graded QB that might rise up the board, and thats coming from me who desperately wants a new QB here.

Dont get me wrong, I like Nassib and am intrugued by him and wouldnt hate the pick, just feel like Jones, Ogletree, or Teo are just as important of need here and are a little more solid propsects for the number 8 spot. Nassib may change my mind with the Sr. Bowl and Combine, but I am only speaking as of today. And this Teo story with the fake girlfriend I could care less about...does nothing to his draft stock and is one of the most over inflated and stupidest stories in recent memory in the sports world.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Anyone else concerned that if he has solid senior bowl and his stock rises, that he will go sooner than #8? As in Philly will take him at 4 or another team will trade up?

It could be argued that every team that picks prior to Buffalo (except Lions) could be shopping for a QB.

I don't know ... don't hold your breath if this kid's stock rises ... some other team will snap him up unless Buffalo trades up.

Maybe he'll refuse to play for those other teams like Philly or KC (like Eli or even Jim Kelly) and demand that he play for the Bills........waking up now.

Edited by BringBackFergy

Gronk had the same alleged degenerative spine issue, and he's done just fine with that.

There was a lot of speculation prior to the 2010 draft that Gronkowski had spinal stenosis, but it was never actually confirmed. FWIW, Gronk denies it. Jarvis Jones, on the other hand, has definitely been diagnosed with it.

fans are better off just forgetting about the word 'reach' when it comes to drafting a qb. that position is so vital it doesnt matter where anybody else ranks a prospect, if a team likes somebody they will draft him when they can. id love it if the bills could trade down (or up i guess) and get him later than eighth, but if they cant and they like him they will definitely take him (or some other qb) there

fans are better off just forgetting about the word 'reach' when it comes to drafting a qb. that position is so vital it doesnt matter where anybody else ranks a prospect, if a team likes somebody they will draft him when they can. id love it if the bills could trade down (or up i guess) and get him later than eighth, but if they cant and they like him they will definitely take him (or some other qb) there

Well put

There was a lot of speculation prior to the 2010 draft that Gronkowski had spinal stenosis, but it was never actually confirmed. FWIW, Gronk denies it. Jarvis Jones, on the other hand, has definitely been diagnosed with it.

Again though, the disease is not of near term concern, but over long term viability. I ask the question again, if you can draft a stud difference maker who may only play 8 years, but 8 top level years rather than say 12, wouldn't you do it? I would every single time...hell in the era of FA, its not even a lock a guy will remain with your team more than 4 years. This D is close, go get the talent...period. Thats my philosophy anyway. There is no guarantee any player is going to play a long time anyway in this game.

I have zero concern about Ryan Nassib becoming a top 7 pick. In fact, if it happens, I'd probably be a little bit happy.

Again though, the disease is not of near term concern, but over long term viability. I ask the question again, if you can draft a stud difference maker who may only play 8 years, but 8 top level years rather than say 12, wouldn't you do it? I would every single time...hell in the era of FA, its not even a lock a guy will remain with your team more than 4 years. This D is close, go get the talent...period. Thats my philosophy anyway. There is no guarantee any player is going to play a long time anyway in this game.

If Jarvis Jones could play at a dominant level for even only 3 seasons, he's worth the 8th overall pick. So long as the brain trust plans for that potential eventuality within that 3 year span. But if they feel strongly enough about any of these QBs (which remains to be seen) I'd say the QB has to be the pick. It's too important. It would be a shame to pick one of the QBs and have them strike out, so they have to be absolutely sure.

If Jarvis Jones could play at a dominant level for even only 3 seasons, he's worth the 8th overall pick. So long as the brain trust plans for that potential eventuality within that 3 year span. But if they feel strongly enough about any of these QBs (which remains to be seen) I'd say the QB has to be the pick. It's too important. It would be a shame to pick one of the QBs and have them strike out, so they have to be absolutely sure.

I totally agree with you...QB is the most important position we need to fill, lord knows I don't want to be stuck with sad sack of QB's we have now. I am only saying, that where I sit today, I don't feel as strong about any of the likely available QB's at 8 as I do of Jones, Ogletree, and Teo. However, the Sr. Bowl, combine, etc could very much shift my opinion on the QB's, especially guys like Nassib. I was just saying that based on where they are rated now prior to the combine in stuff, I don't see a guy I love at 8...more like guys I would love later in the round or in the 2nd. On the other hand I see a few D guys I would love 8. Hopefully one or a few of the QB's emerge and really solidify that 8th spot grade between now and the draft because I do really really want a new young stud prospect at QB.

I totally agree with you...QB is the most important position we need to fill, lord knows I don't want to be stuck with sad sack of QB's we have now. I am only saying, that where I sit today, I don't feel as strong about any of the likely available QB's at 8 as I do of Jones, Ogletree, and Teo. However, the Sr. Bowl, combine, etc could very much shift my opinion on the QB's, especially guys like Nassib. I was just saying that based on where they are rated now prior to the combine in stuff, I don't see a guy I love at 8...more like guys I would love later in the round or in the 2nd. On the other hand I see a few D guys I would love 8. Hopefully one or a few of the QB's emerge and really solidify that 8th spot grade between now and the draft because I do really really want a new young stud prospect at QB.

Clearly, we're more or less in 100% agreement. I can't add anything to this post.

A former scout on the Ross Tucker show this morning I think his name was Rush Lindy??? said that after talking with other scouts at the senior bowl that it may turn out that Nassib may go #1 to the Chiefs. He also said that he most likely will not make it out of the top 10. For what it's worth...

Edited by MikeSpeed