A word about Marcel Dareus and last year

Yeah Idk where people are gettng these fat comments from, its ridiculous. It was pretty obvious Dareus struggled emotionally last season and its to be expected after he lost his brother...i was not aware that he had also lost so many other family members.

did you see him try to run in space... essentially any time in september? it looked sloppy and slow. he had no burst, agility seemed to be lacking. later in the season it looked much better.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dareus is a great guy.

Sadly, he also played out of position last season as a DT in a 4-3.

I think we should all take it on as Bills fans to make him always feel like he has family here with us!

Yes. Of all the negatives surrounding joining this franchise, the love and tolerance the fans have for the team is the brightest spot.

I think we should all take it on as Bills fans to make him always feel like he has family here with us!

Unless you enjoy feeling beat down, I wouldn't do so. It will take a miracle, or him playing awful football, to keep Dareus here after 2014. He's a proud Alabama kid, and the Bills have played him out of position and moved him around so much hurting his value.

Just a little sophomore slump, don't forget the dude only just turned 23 a couple weeks ago. He went from playing for Nick Saban to Gailey and Wannstedt, its no wonder he fell a little out of shape. A hard nosed guy like Pettine will get this guy playing at his full potential, you have to think he and Kyle were a big reason why he decided to come here.

This is what were hoping for.

He looked really fat. I mean fat ,last year. Lost his explosion. I hope this crew can work his butt into some sort of shape this year. His brothers death didn`t help,but as you stated he was fat before the season started.

This. I believe that his head wasn't in the game and I give him a pass for the tragedy, but truth is truth: he showed up fat and looked really slow in pre-season.

He needs to take the Bruce Smith vow of never letting his physical condition interfere with his potential.

Yeah Idk where people are gettng these fat comments from, its ridiculous.

Well...Maybe it's that fact that Dareus admitted to being over 340 at Camp as a Rookie?

Marcell was 318 at his Combine where he was a complete athletic beast...

So...Maybe fat is too harsh...But he's definitely looked overweight and sluggish at times...There's no question about it...

So maybe that's where folks are getting it from... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

did you see him try to run in space... essentially any time in september? it looked sloppy and slow. he had no burst, agility seemed to be lacking. later in the season it looked much better.

Yeah in September right after his brother was murdered.....

Well...Maybe it's that fact that Dareus admitted to being over 340 at Camp last year? He basically admitted the same the year before sighting the fact that the Bills needed him to play NT...

Marcell was 318 at his Combine where he was a complete athletic beast...

So...Maybe fat is too harsh...But he's definitely been overweight...There's no question about it...

So maybe that's where folks are getting it from... B-)

Where did you read that he admitted he was 340 before this last season. Every article I read he said he trimmed down this past season to 320 because wanny told him his role was gonna be to penetrate and not hold up blockers. He said in these articles that before his rookie year he didn't have anyone really tell him his role because of the lock out so he went up to 340.

Edited by kr632

Where did you read that he admitted he was 340 before this last season. Every article I read he said he trimmed down this past season because wanny told him his role was gonna be to penetrate and not hold up blockers. He said in these articles that before his rookie year he didn't have anyone really tell him his role because of the lock out so he went up to 340.

It was in an interview with John Murphy at Camp last year...

Where did you read that he admitted he was 340 before this last season. Every article I read he said he trimmed down this past season to 320 because wanny told him his role was gonna be to penetrate and not hold up blockers. He said in these articles that before his rookie year he didn't have anyone really tell him his role because of the lock out so he went up to 340.

Again, even before. And he did not lose his athleticism and conditioning from that instantly. As the season went on he got noticeably better on burst and agility and looked less soft. Likely being in an every day program got him back into shape.

I think this season was not nearly as directly tied to his brother. I'm sure it was a terrible situation for him but I don't think it's straight causation of all the shortcomings.

Edited by NoSaint

I give him a pass for 2012. People can say what they want but that is a horrible **** load to deal with in his short life. 'But he is a pro blah blah blah', yeah and still a KID which many forget. Lets see he lost his brother I guess he can turn to his dad for comfort and support...errr...maybe his mom....errr.. Maybe...well maybe you get the point.

And why do you thing he will perform better in 2013?

Sadly, he also played out of position last season as a DT in a 4-3.

I disagree with this. Marcel does look like a nose tackle, but imo he is at his best as a penetrating DT, one who can push back centers and guards on running plays and even rush the passer. Kids from Bama are generally very good against the run.

Big Sam Adams and Pat Williams were bigger than Marcel, and neither of them was sutied for the nose.

Marcel needs to be focused and in shape. After suffering such losses, it won't be easy, but this is one player who is potentially VERY good, and VERY easy to like.

I didn't know all that about Dareus. Even Half of what he has been through can break anybody down. Poor guy must feeling like everybody he becomes close to dies.

I hope somebody on the Team or staff reaches out to him. I can understand how last year was a lost season.

He did look out of shape last year. Hope he didnt do food for comfort diet.

Edited by Bufcomments

Sorry. I know you guys are gonna say I'm insensitive and as azz but he needs to toughen up. This is a PERFECT example of the weak minded, weak hearted players we have on this roster. It's the kinda attitude that keeps us down. What did Brett Favre do when his father passed away? He played his HEART out and played one of his best games of his career on MNF, 400 yds, 4 TDs and a 154.9 rating. What did Torrey Smith do the evening after his brother passed away? 6 catches for 120 yds and 2 TDs and led the team in receiving all the way to the SB.

I realize his brother passing was a huge loss but it's these kinda moments that separate the weak from the strong. We have VERY weak players, mentally. He should've played out the season with a chip on his shoulder and played his HEART out for his brother.