With $17M to spend what FAs should Bills sign??

I am depressed about the way that Nix and Co. are handling things this year. Without a viable QB to tout they can't even pry a guy coming off of an ACL tear from his original team with more money.

When it comes to priorities a viable starting QB has to be #1 on the list.

Without one we have no hope to win and no hope to be able to sign quality veteran FAs..............................and we need to be able to sign some quality vet FAs because our six draft picks cannot possibly fill all of the holes that have been created.

With that said, here's an updated list of available FAs that could help us:

Some Available Veteran Free Agents

Brandon Moore LG

Brandon Lloyd WR.

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR

Calvin Pace OLB

Nick Barnett OLB

James Harrison OLB

Shaun Phillips OLB

Michael Boley OLB

Karlos Dansby ILB

Daryl Smith ILB

Tracy Porter CB

Mike Jenkins CB

Brent Grimes CB

Nnamdi Asomugh CB.

Your thoughts??

I'm concerned that no FA will want to sign with us until they see who our potential starting QB will be.

I am depressed about the way that Nix and Co. are handling things this year. Without a viable QB to tout they can't even pry a guy coming off of an ACL tear from his original team with more money.

Without one we have no hope to win and no hope to be able to sign quality veteran FAs..............................and we need to be able to sign some quality vet FAs because our six draft picks cannot possibly fill all of the holes that have been created.

Brandon Moore LG

Brandon Lloyd WR.

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR

Calvin Pace OLB

Nick Barnett OLB

James Harrison OLB

Shaun Phillips OLB

Michael Boley OLB

Karlos Dansby ILB

Daryl Smith ILB

Tracy Porter CB

Mike Jenkins CB

Brent Grimes CB

Nnamdi Asomugh CB.

Your thoughts??

I'm concerned that no FA will want to sign with us until they see who our potential starting QB will be.

Any ,we need nfl players

Any ,we need nfl players

Pretty much this, at this point. We have loads of open spots and big holes. We can't exactly expect to completely fill the gaps with UDFAs after the draft.

Edited by Dorkington

Dansby, DHB, and Moore would be great, fill three big holes for two years (counting Bey as just one of 3 or 4 WRs) and not kill us financially.

Those are the three guys I immediately pinpointed. Plus a CB like Mike Jenkins or Deangelo Hall.

people act like no team without a franchise qb has ever signed a free agent. they will come, itll just be harder work.

heck, we signed mario with fitz last year, didnt we?

Dansby, DHB, and Moore would be great, fill three big holes for two years (counting Bey as just one of 3 or 4 WRs) and not kill us financially.

i would do those three in a second (assuming the contracts are what one would reasonably expect).

What happens when we sign lets say 3 players(average to below average)for 2 mil a year(very low number) that leaves us with a little over 10 mil in cap space. 5.5 mil to sign rookies. Now we have 4.5 mil left. The cap isn't going to go up very much the next few years.

So going into next year we will have somewhere around 5 mil in cap space(if we sign 3 average to below players like all of you suggest). We will need to re-sign wood who when healthy is one of the best centers in the game. He will get more than 5 mil a year. That will leave us with very little to no cap space to sign anyone next year let alone rookies. What if CJ holds out for more money?

So by all means screw up our cap situation now because the fans want the bills to sign anybody just because. There is a reason why these players are still out there. There is this thing called the future that we have to take into consideration and plan for.

None, their going to save the cash and carry it over to next year when they might actually have a chance of doing anything with their season

If I understand correctly - add rookies and we have about 10m left. The 10m we carried. We don't get to carry that again, do we?

Ie any spending is this offseason or never

Ie I really hope we spend if we bumped fitzs hit into next year

^^^This, plus I would look to trade # 8 for Minnesota's 2 first rd picks (#23, #25). You can prob get a QB like EJ Manuel or Barkley at this point as well as a WR like Patterson (could fall here) or Justin Hunter or Keenan Allen... could go LB as well Ogletree or Minter...?

Edited by McD

If I understand correctly - add rookies and we have about 10m left. The 10m we carried. We don't get to carry that again, do we?

Ie any spending is this offseason or never

Ie I really hope we spend if we bumped fitzs hit into next year

No, one can't carry the rollover past the one season.

As far as I could figure it......

At the moment we have spent 109m(top 51 player caps).....we will get back 4.5m for Fitz contract in a few months. We also have a dead cap number of 6m......and 4m for rookie contracts(I've adjusted this down from 5.5m as several of the rookie contracts will fall outside the top 51 cap hits)............bringing the total spend to.....114.5m.

The base cap figure is 123m.

The Bills' rollover amount is 10m.

This means that we are 8.5m under the cap.......and 18.5m under the adjusted rollover cap.

Ignoring any adjustment for Byrd(leaving his cap hit at 6.9m).....if we don't spend any more money on FAs, we will take a 8.5m rollover into the 2014 season.

(More detail on 2014 cap situation here: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/user/7345-dibs/)

Brandon Moore LG

Brandon Lloyd WR.

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR

Calvin Pace OLB

Nick Barnett OLB

James Harrison OLB

Shaun Phillips OLB

Michael Boley OLB

Karlos Dansby ILB

Daryl Smith ILB

Tracy Porter CB

Mike Jenkins CB

Brent Grimes CB

Nnamdi Asomugh CB.

Your thoughts??

I don't think they sign anyone till after the draft. Then we will know what holes are left to fill.

From the way we simply announced a press conference to sign Lawson I think it's clear they have been trying to land free agents since free agency started, just quite unsuccessfully. Players on offense won't sign until we have a QB unless we overpay and it looks like we're not going to. I dunno why D players aren't signing, other than the obvious small town, cold climate, terrible team argument. The Davis negotiations became public most likely because he was using us and hoping to get a higher offer from the redskins before re-signing. In this case silence isn't golden, I think its a clear indication we are failing at attracting anyone.

Brandon Moore LG

Brandon Lloyd WR.

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR

Calvin Pace OLB

Nick Barnett OLB

James Harrison OLB

Shaun Phillips OLB

Michael Boley OLB

Karlos Dansby ILB

Daryl Smith ILB

Tracy Porter CB

Mike Jenkins CB

Brent Grimes CB

Nnamdi Asomugh CB.

Your thoughts??

Are we sure that the Bills offered more $$, or was Fred just out to see what his value is before signing with the Skins?

Brandon Moore LG

Brandon Lloyd WR.

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR

Calvin Pace OLB

Nick Barnett OLB

James Harrison OLB

Shaun Phillips OLB

Michael Boley OLB

Karlos Dansby ILB

Daryl Smith ILB

Tracy Porter CB

Mike Jenkins CB

Brent Grimes CB

Nnamdi Asomugh CB.

Your thoughts??

Every player you mention, with the exception of DHB is either on the wrong side of 30 (and some by a lot) or coming off a serious injury. So, what is to be gained by signing any of them right now? It is a QB driven league, and right now the Bills DO NOT have one of those. When the Bills draft their QB, he's gonna start right out of the gate. Now, if you are expecting the Bills to make the playoffs, you need to change those expectations pronto... and by a lot. They will be fortunate to win 5 games... anything more is gravy, any less, not really disturbing.

This belief that the Bills have talent is a bit misguided. aside from about 9 or 10 of the 22 starting positions, they really do not have a lot of talent. And, bringing aged and old talent is not going to help them rebuild and get better. They need young, fresh, and fast legs.

Just by observing the way the Bills have approached this offseason, it is clear they are in a rebuilding stage again. That was clear the moment they let Fitz go without having a better option. Because of that, they're not even 100% sure their guy at QB is going to be their at #8... so they don't know who their QB is really going to be. Free agents see that and are not turned on by that. And, I have a hunch, if their guy is gone by #8, they will probably trade out and get more picks (unless there's a major talent that falls to them at another position) and not take a QB until round 3 or 4.

They'll bite the bullet, gut out the season with TJax, bringing their 3rd/4th rd. QB along, and at some point might even give him a few starts. But a 3rd/4th rd rookie aint gonna be the Bills franchise QB... If they their guy aint there at #8, they'll hop on the franchise QB merry go round next year again, and probably end up with a top 6 choice.

So, what you should expect of the Bills in free agency is probably about 15 rookie free agents after the draft concludes. And I don't see the Bills signing more than 1, maybe 2 NFL free agents, if at all.

I don't think they sign anyone till after the draft. Then we will know what holes are left to fill.

I don't understand that line of thinking. Are you saying Nix is going to hit 100% on his picks?

The guy sucks at drafting. One of the reasons the team is going through a second rebuild with that clown

making the picks.Mid-Season Dumpster diving is his forte.

Every player you mention, with the exception of DHB is either on the wrong side of 30 (and some by a lot) or coming off a serious injury. So, what is to be gained by signing any of them right now? It is a QB driven league, and right now the Bills DO NOT have one of those. When the Bills draft their QB, he's gonna start right out of the gate. Now, if you are expecting the Bills to make the playoffs, you need to change those expectations pronto... and by a lot. They will be fortunate to win 5 games... anything more is gravy, any less, not really disturbing.

This belief that the Bills have talent is a bit misguided. aside from about 9 or 10 of the 22 starting positions, they really do not have a lot of talent. And, bringing aged and old talent is not going to help them rebuild and get better. They need young, fresh, and fast legs.

Just by observing the way the Bills have approached this offseason, it is clear they are in a rebuilding stage again. That was clear the moment they let Fitz go without having a better option. Because of that, they're not even 100% sure their guy at QB is going to be their at #8... so they don't know who their QB is really going to be. Free agents see that and are not turned on by that. And, I have a hunch, if their guy is gone by #8, they will probably trade out and get more picks (unless there's a major talent that falls to them at another position) and not take a QB until round 3 or 4.

They'll bite the bullet, gut out the season with TJax, bringing their 3rd/4th rd. QB along, and at some point might even give him a few starts. But a 3rd/4th rd rookie aint gonna be the Bills franchise QB... If they their guy aint there at #8, they'll hop on the franchise QB merry go round next year again, and probably end up with a top 6 choice.

So, what you should expect of the Bills in free agency is probably about 15 rookie free agents after the draft concludes. And I don't see the Bills signing more than 1, maybe 2 NFL free agents, if at all.

Because the best way a rookie LB learns is to be the only rookie or only crappy linebacker Dansby). Because the best way a rookie safety or CB learns is to have a run defense keep the opposition in long passing downs, not 2nd and 3 or 4 all day (Dansby). Because the best way a rookie QB learns is to have a good line in front of him (Moore) and some targets to throw to (Bey) and a defense that keeps teams from scoring so he is not forced to throw all day. Because the best way a project OG drafted in the fourth round learns is to play behind a veteran (Moore) for a year or two. Because the best way a rookie WR learns is to be the third or fourth option and not the second option.

The Bills are a pretty young team already. The best way for young guys to learn is to play around some older guys. You're right, we don't want a bunch of washed up vets on one leg. But, as stated, Dansby and Lawson next to Bradham, Sheppard and a rookie LB is going to help that rookie a lot. Lawson next to Bradham, Sheppard, a rookie and an UDFA is cause for panic.