Waiting for Round 2 worth the risk?

Good people of T.B.D, someone really needs to say this..... there is not one QB in this draft (realistically speaking) that is going to a difference maker. I just don't see it. I hope the Bills don't draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB. For once I pray to Almighty God, that the Bills do the SMART thing and do something that will help this team for the long run. Everyone is so caught up in the need it right now instant gratification mode, that they are missing the big picture. Yes, it SUCKS that it has been thirteen years. I get it. Believe me I know. All the money in the whole NFL won't buy a Super Bowl. Players have to gel together. They have to be willing to sacrifice for the team. No amount of money will buy that. The right people have to fit in the right spot. (team players) Does anyone honestly believe that the Ravens were the most talented team in the league this year? No way. They rallied around each other when the time was right and did what they had to do. They gelled at the right moment.

Buffalo needs to draft a WR to compliment Stevie in the first round. I know someone is going to say "Who's gonna throw the ball to them?" Maybe no one this year, however next year looks to have a more promising QB crop to choose from. Now isn't the time to panic, now is the time to be smart, and draft smarter. GO BILLS!!!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, I have to look at the entire field. And to be honest, I think it depends on the attitude in the front office.

I think we can all agree that Buddy Nix is looking down the barrels of the firing squad. To me, the difference is how he reacts to it.

If he looks on into danger with steely resolve, I think he waits until round 2. He takes a blue chip player, and make no doubt, there WILL be a blue chip player in a position of need available at #8, whether it be Dee Milliner, Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree or Cordelle Patterson. If, by some stroke of luck, Geno Smith falls into his lap Buddy will take him.

If Buddy is panicking, I can see him picking whoever is best at the #8 pick. If so, we can make do with our other picks and pick up a bunch of UDFA.

EDIT: I still like Tyler Wilson, and he seems that he will almost certainly there at #41, maybe even in the third round.

Seconded.

Count me amoung the few that think that reaching for a QB this year isn't the wisest move. We've seen twice before, with Losman and Edwards, that investing in the development of the wrong QB can force you to pass on drafting the right one the following year. I'm not sure the Vikings got better doing that with Ponder, or the Jags with Gabbert, and we certainly didn't with our aforementioned heirs to the throne. I'd like to see the Bills get their guy, and to be aggressive in doing so, but for a team with this many holes to reach for a QB simply because they don't have another answer and he's the best of what's left, doesn't seem like a recipe for short or long term success to me.

I'd have been okay with it before we lost Levitre and Rhineheart and Barnett and Donald Jones and David Nelson, but those guys left us with a lot of holes to fill, and to get better, we've got to replace them with better-than-average draft prospects (and perhaps a few free agents after the June 1st cuts).

If their guy isn't around at their pick in the first or second, then let's fortify other positions with more viable prospects. I'd rather they give a rookie QB a solid roster in 2014 than give a mediocre QB a shallow roster in 2013.

Edited by habes1280

It's hard to draft in the NFL

CBF

It's hard for the Bills to draft in the NFL.

Fixed it for you, you may proceed to your next post.

Take a QB at 8, the one you like the most and live with the decision .

God I cant wait for the draft, Im tired of talking about it.

Good people of T.B.D, someone really needs to say this..... there is not one QB in this draft (realistically speaking) that is going to a difference maker. I just don't see it. I hope the Bills don't draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB. For once I pray to Almighty God, that the Bills do the SMART thing and do something that will help this team for the long run. Everyone is so caught up in the need it right now instant gratification mode, that they are missing the big picture. Yes, it SUCKS that it has been thirteen years. I get it. Believe me I know. All the money in the whole NFL won't buy a Super Bowl. Players have to gel together. They have to be willing to sacrifice for the team. No amount of money will buy that. The right people have to fit in the right spot. (team players) Does anyone honestly believe that the Ravens were the most talented team in the league this year? No way. They rallied around each other when the time was right and did what they had to do. They gelled at the right moment.

Buffalo needs to draft a WR to compliment Stevie in the first round. I know someone is going to say "Who's gonna throw the ball to them?" Maybe no one this year, however next year looks to have a more promising QB crop to choose from. Now isn't the time to panic, now is the time to be smart, and draft smarter. GO BILLS!!!!

I am with you. Reaching for QBs because of need is a misery-inducing exercise:

Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler, Kerry Collins, Jim Druckenmiller, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Duante Culpepper, Cade McKnown, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, JP Losman, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow and others

have been #1 draft picks because of teams' desperate need for QBs. One side of the coin says it is worth gambling the high pick because, if you hit, you are set for a long time to be competitive. The flip side is that, even without the financial pain of paying insane money to a highly drafted QB (recently changed), the loss of an otherwise likely very good player is still very high. Further, a team tends to "stick with" their highly drafted QB for 2-3 years before starting their search for another one.

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a common denominator for why the list above failed. You could argue that most failed because they couldn't make the quick, smart decisions required of an NFL QB. Unfortunately, that is VERY hard to evaluate in college QBs.

I didn't use to think this, but I'm believing more and more that you draft an impact player at #8, and roll the dice to see who's available in Round 2. An impact LB or WR in round 1 is probably the better way to go. It's likely one of those QBs will be there in round 2, just maybe not one of (Smith, Barkley, EJ). But it's not an easy choice, that's for sure.

We can't afford to blow another 1st rounder. Not that we wouldn't by picking a LB or WR, but it would seem the odds of success are better. I don't know.

I am with you. Reaching for QBs because of need is a misery-inducing exercise:

Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler, Kerry Collins, Jim Druckenmiller, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Duante Culpepper, Cade McKnown, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, JP Losman, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow and others

have been #1 draft picks because of teams' desperate need for QBs. One side of the coin says it is worth gambling the high pick because, if you hit, you are set for a long time to be competitive. The flip side is that, even without the financial pain of paying insane money to a highly drafted QB (recently changed), the loss of an otherwise likely very good player is still very high. Further, a team tends to "stick with" their highly drafted QB for 2-3 years before starting their search for another one.

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a common denominator for why the list above failed. You could argue that most failed because they couldn't make the quick, smart decisions required of an NFL QB. Unfortunately, that is VERY hard to evaluate in college QBs.

Everything you say is accurate BUT, (I guess it's my turn to mention) that players at other positions also bust or underperform.

The Bills particularly have had a hard time identifying non-QBs worthy of a first round pick. Looking back on past drafts, many non-QBs first rounders bust out of the NFL.

Unpredictability being the case, isn't it better to take a player at the most important position in football?

Especially when it's an acute need?

BTW, there are a few QBs in this draft I like so that might shade my position in this discussion.

People said this about a LT last year, and we ended up with Glenn in round 2.

It could easily happen again with a QB this year...

Actually.....no it couldn't.

It might happen....anything is possible.....but the odds that all of the NFL scouts miss that special potential in a QB and he falls to #41(& we select him) are extremely small(less than 1%).

Everything you say is accurate BUT, (I guess it's my turn to mention) that players at other positions also bust or underperform.

The Bills particularly have had a hard time identifying non-QBs worthy of a first round pick. Looking back on past drafts, many non-QBs first rounders bust out of the NFL.

Unpredictability being the case, isn't it better to take a player at the most important position in football?

Especially when it's an acute need?

BTW, there are a few QBs in this draft I like so that might shade my position in this discussion.

I agree that players at other positions bust, but they bust in a different way than a QB that has to handle the ball all the time. If you have a defensive lineman that busts ala Troup (I know he hasn't officially busted yet, but he is damn close) or we could just insert John McCargo, you just limit or keep the player out of the rotation and go out and try to plug the holes on the line, same goes for defensive backs who do not develop like our 1st round punt returner...

At QB a franchise traditionally feels compelled to justify their reach and 1st round grade so they stick with the experiment long after it becomes clear that the prospect does not have the makeup needed to perform at an NFL level. It sets them back more than any other whiff on a draft pick. The hope that something will "click" and the QB will transform and take the next step just sets the whole rebuilding process back.

Don't reach for QB's, if the talent evaluators feel there is one that is deserving of a 1st round grade you take him - maybe even higher in the first than where he grades out. That being said, you do not reach for a QB where the consensus grade has him as a second or 3rd round talent. Folks seem to get cause and effect confused, just because a team makes a crazy grab for a player early in the 1st does not mean that the player is a 1st round talent - just that some team is crazy enough to ignore all the evidence and tape to the contrary.

None of this crop of QB's really led or carried their respective teams to stellar seasons. Those with a stronger supporting cast should have done more, those with weaker supporting cast may deserve a closer look, but this whole draft is WEAK in regards to QB....nothing changes that. I do however agree with Nix, that one or two of these projects will make it in the NFL - at least long enough to be a solid starter for a while - they need to find that QB and take him at the right spot.

With a veteran behind center in Kolb, they have more time to develop a project, but will need to take a QB that does not have a ton of ego...think on that.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

Don't reach for QB's, if the talent evaluators feel there is one that is deserving of a 1st round grade you take him - maybe even higher in the first than where he grades out. .

definition of reach is taking a guy higher than he grades out

no....it's time to stop dragging our feet at the qb position.

it's been bungled up by Nix over and over again........1st rounder qb is a neccesity now.

Picking a QB in the 1st round does not turn that player into a first round talent. And no amount of "magical thinking" can make it happen. By all means take one. But this class of QBs is what it is: a bunch of C+/B- guys. If you can accept that then you won't be disappointed when they turn out not to be saviors.

definition of reach is taking a guy higher than he grades out

You make a good point, and I have to concede that the "reach" concept is subjective. Based upon an agreed consensus grade for the prospect any player taken well before they are slotted (allowing for some standard deviation of grading error) would be technically a reach.

QB's that are graded as 1st round talents traditionally go earlier in the 1st round than where they are actually graded. Personally, I accept that a QB that is graded on the lower end of the 1st round could and probably would be taken within the first 16 picks of the 1st round. Same thing with those graded as early 2nd round talents going in the later portion of the 1st round. I would much rather see a QB prospect that grades out high in the 1st round being taken early in the first round as more of an ideal draft scenario.

NFL teams think 2013 the worst QB class in over a decade.

Sounds to me like the 2nd round could even be a reach.

PTR

I saw that article too..

But who knows what the other teams are really thinking. They could be just blowing smoke, trying to psych out other teams.

You need to have a good poker face (unless your name is Buddy, of course).

In the second, the Bills might trade up with Jacksonville at 33. I wouldn't be surprised at all. Buddy might use his "dadgummit" skills on Jags GM/Buffalo native Caldwell to secure the top QB the view in the second...before the Raiders, Jests and Cardinals pick

NFL teams think 2013 the worst QB class in over a decade.

Sounds to me like the 2nd round could even be a reach.

PTR

I say, since 1996.

That year, Tony Banks was the first QB picked in the second round.

Edited by KollegeStudnet