Waiting for Round 2 worth the risk?

Smith and IMO Barkley are the 2 best QBs and potetial immidiate impact players. and theyl both more than likley be gone at #8. Makes more sense to take Patterson whose gona be an impact player and a big position of need then just some QB just to take one, when other talent at QB will be there at 41, telent to be groomed

You can't say that Patterson is gonna be an impact player or not... He can bust just as easily as any other player (QB or not)... And forgive me for not trusting your evaluations of these players (QBs or other) None of us has the necessary knowledge to judge these players talents... Of course it is also debatable whether anyone in the Bills FO has that knowledge or skill either but we are stuck with the FO that we have....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A QB will do nothing if he has no weapons to throw to.

And a WR will do nothing if he doesn't have a QB to get him the ball. It's sort of a chicken/egg kind of thing.

My personal opinion is to get a QB now. If they believe that one of these guys can be the face of the franchise, they should take him at 8. If they are not convinced, then I would support taking another position of need at 8 and taking a flyer on a QB later in the draft

we clearly need a wr on the other side of stevie. Geno the top rated QB of this draft will be gone and likley Barkley. A QB will do nothing if he has no weapons to throw to. and IMO and im sure most other the QB class this year is weak, tho theres talent to be groomed ex) jones, glennon etc.

Simple - you draft a WR at #41... There will plenty of WRs there for the picking....

It's a shame Bills fans don't spend more time speculating about which quarterback we'll draft in a month.

in your opinion is this something we should be worrying about? because it seems that most on this site are not overly concerned and have faith that it will just kind of work itself out.

There are no guarantees with the draft. What player available at 8 is a sure Hall of Famer? The only sort of QB on the roster that took a snap last year is Brad Smith. Have you seen him throw a football?

Prior to the rookie salary structure if you drafted a QB in the top ten and you were wrong, you were screwed for the next five years. It doesn't work that way anymore.

Nix's inability to draft a QB and going all in with Fitz has put us in this position. They need to draft QBs in the first round until they get it right.

in your opinion is this something we should be worrying about? because it seems that most on this site are not overly concerned and have faith that it will just kind of work itself out.

Worry, no. It's football.

Fixate on, of course. It's the off season--but that doesn't make it any less exhausting.

There are several threads and posts about waiting until the 2nd round to draft a QB.

Everything has been covered ad nauseum regarding whether we should risk it, who will be available, etc etc.

This thread subject is not unique but it's been a slow news week so you're getting the attention for right now.

It is more specific to Manuel. I really equate it more to Cordy Glenn last year than anything I can think of. Could Manuel be this year's Glenn? Last year a very small percentage of people would have seen Glenn lasting to round 2. Manuel is a QB so the odds are probably lower, but I could see it happening.

To answer my own hypothetical I would take a non-QB at 8. I'd wait for 41.

I don't claim to know enough about which player we should take at 8 other than to say that WR from Tenn will be a mega-flop and will be the worst possible pick. I would take defensive front 7 or a tackle.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Worry, no. It's football.

Fixate on, of course. It's the off season--but that doesn't make it any less exhausting.

in all honesty i don't know much about any of these guys. i don't watch much college ball so i have to relly on the expert opinions of my fellow TBDers. in closing, you can appreciate how badly my head is @!#$ed right about now. buddy, i'm really hoping that the sun is shining on your backside come draft day!

Why jump back in the first round for the QB ? Why not jump back in for WR and take the QB at 8 ? First round Wr's are so risky . Could you imagine if this team misses on a WR in the first round ? Most of us wanted Floyd last year with the first pick . Granted the cardinals had no online but I don't think he changed the team as much as a QB would have at that pick . The bills need change !!!!! Manuel at # 8 !!!

To me, I have to look at the entire field. And to be honest, I think it depends on the attitude in the front office.

I think we can all agree that Buddy Nix is looking down the barrels of the firing squad. To me, the difference is how he reacts to it.

If he looks on into danger with steely resolve, I think he waits until round 2. He takes a blue chip player, and make no doubt, there WILL be a blue chip player in a position of need available at #8, whether it be Dee Milliner, Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree or Cordelle Patterson. If, by some stroke of luck, Geno Smith falls into his lap Buddy will take him.

If Buddy is panicking, I can see him picking whoever is best at the #8 pick. If so, we can make do with our other picks and pick up a bunch of UDFA.

EDIT: I still like Tyler Wilson, and he seems that he will almost certainly there at #41, maybe even in the third round.

I like the steely resolve approach and the longer view - just because reaching has NEVER worked well for the Bills.

I like either Wilson or Dysert in the 3rd or 4th respectively this year. I believe Wilson arguably had a better supporting cast and Arkansas had a better overall team than the pathetic Miami Ohio squad that Dysert stuck with. That is the reason I still think that Dysert as a gambit could have a higher upside with better talent and coaching around him. Neither QB had the luxuries at receiver that the underperforming Barkley had at USC and Bray in Tennessee and both went through coaching changes their senior year.

I would be happy if Buddy could find someone willing to give up some picks to move up to 8. The Bills have a lot of holes to fill and only 6 picks to use - next year has an arguably stronger QB class and they could go for another QB prospect then as well and have two young QB's to push each other for the starting spot.

Anyone that thinks that this franchise is going to turn around in one year is kidding themselves even if we find the next great young QB talent. It is going to take at least a year just to get some traction on the changes to defense and none of us have any idea if Marrone's college K-Gun offense will translate over to the pros successfully...

Why jump back in the first round for the QB ? Why not jump back in for WR and take the QB at 8 ? First round Wr's are so risky . Could you imagine if this team misses on a WR in the first round ? Most of us wanted Floyd last year with the first pick . Granted the cardinals had no online but I don't think he changed the team as much as a QB would have at that pick . The bills need change !!!!! Manuel at # 8 !!!

it all comes down to impact. the people in the war room have to try to make a decision on which player will make the most difference at their pick and it just seems like there are a lot of variables to weigh into that decision. and as a fan, all i can do is hope that on draft day i do not scare my kids and break my tv!

I like the steely resolve approach and the longer view - just because reaching has NEVER worked well for the Bills.

I like either Wilson or Dysert in the 3rd or 4th respectively this year. I believe Wilson arguably had a better supporting cast and Arkansas had a better overall team than the pathetic Miami Ohio squad that Dysert stuck with. That is the reason I still think that Dysert as a gambit could have a higher upside with better talent and coaching around him. Neither QB had the luxuries at receiver that the underperforming Barkley had at USC and Bray in Tennessee and both went through coaching changes their senior year.

I would be happy if Buddy could find someone willing to give up some picks to move up to 8. The Bills have a lot of holes to fill and only 6 picks to use - next year has an arguably stronger QB class and they could go for another QB prospect then as well and have two young QB's to push each other for the starting spot.

Anyone that thinks that this franchise is going to turn around in one year is kidding themselves even if we find the next great young QB talent. It is going to take at least a year just to get some traction on the changes to defense and none of us have any idea if Marrone's college K-Gun offense will translate over to the pros successfully...

very good post Sir.

But i think this year is the year Buddy trades picks to add, even if it is towards next years draft when we have better definition

Glennon and Nassib should be there @ pick 71. Manuel should be gone before pick 41

I'm going with the over on this. I

know, every year QB's go earlier than projected, but I am wagering that this is the one year that the question marks and players ranked much higher at other positions actually make GM's blink on the reach pick.

Gino will go fairly early (he is moving up the board less on talent and more as a reflection of how desperate some mock analyst have teams that are needing an answer at QB), after that I dunno... If they don't go early QB's could sit till the 3rd or 4th round, but there will be a run for the bums at some point there always is.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

Take the QB that you think has the best chance to lead your team and be a long term solution at QB at 8 and move on.

Yep.

At pick 8 any guy the Bills pick will have some question to his game or else he would be gone.

Since QB is the most important player in the NFL take the guy you think has the most upside. If Smith is there you got to take him. Guy had 42 td's and 5 int in 13 games playing against solid caliber opponents. I am not saying he is a lock, but he is big and strong, and the td to int ratio tells me he knows how to make good decisions. He likes to watch film and is a hard worker. Tell me what about that stuff is not to like? If his TEAM had made it to the NC game with his same stats, he would be a top 3 pick no doubt.

So your opinion is we settle? Even if we have X QB rated higher, pass on him and take a WR and a QB rated lower? Brilliant..,.

So we take a blue chip player instead of addressing QB again? We did that his first 3 drafts and can't win more than 6 games a season.

Kelly now hold on a minute.....

Maybe Patterson is rated higher on their board then X QB

and

Addressing QB in round 2 isn't neglecting the position......keep in mind there are not sure fire things. If you use a 2nd rounder you are still using a premium pick

I just posted this an another thread, then I read this one with the exact scenario the OP posited:

If they identify one QB that is in their opinion head and shoulders above the rest and he is available at #8- even if he isn't the first QB off the the board, then I say you grab him and walk away confident you have your guy and don't have to worry about another team swooping in and taking him before you have a chance. For example, if they like EJ Manuel, don't get cute and try to take him around #20 in a trade back scenario. Just get him!

However, to truly answer the OP's question I'd pretty much answer the same way Whitewalker Merriman did.

If it were up to me, I'd most likely take a "surer" thing in one of the stud defenders (Dion Jordan is my first choice), and hope for the best in the later rounds. Without the knowledge of the coaching staff and scouts, I don't know how they see Manuel fitting in, but he's the most intriguing QB to me.

As I said in another thread, every QB has question marks, but Manuel has all the measure-ables I want in a QB.

If Geno & EJ are there when we pick at 8 & we pass on taking a QB then Nix should never be allowed any where near Buffalo ever again. We NEED the best QB we can possibly get.

I agree, we have to gamble on either of those qbs . With the new rookie pay scale, it won't break the bank if we guess wrong. Any QB we get will need a dominate OL to have a chance. Fitz had enough time for a short pass, and we let Levitre and Rhinehart walk. How many OL pro bowlers do we have now?