Other Teams Trading Up

Haplo848

People on here seem to think that it's unlikely that the Bills will move up in the draft, as the Bills have so many holes and only 6 picks with which to fill them, not to mention the fact that the QB class next year should be better than it next year, so trading next years picks would be a horrible idea as well. Therefore, the Bills should just hope that Geno Smith should fall to them. However, three teams traded within or into the top 6 picks last year on Draft Day, not including the redskins epic trade up for RG3 that happened before the draft. Is no one else worried that if Geno starts to drop to us, some other team will trade in front of us for him? Teams flat out know that we're going to take a QB this year, probably in one of the first two rounds. Is no one else worried about the Jets moving in front of us? The Titans, if they're unsure of Jake Locker? Or possibly a team that currently is set at QB, but is looking towards the future?

My only worry would be the Jets trying to get ahead of us...and they will be ahead of us in the second round. They definitely have the ability to spoil our draft plans if they so choose. Fortunately, they need their draft picks even more than we do to restock their roster. However, even if Geno Smith is gone by pick number 8, all the other QB options are likely to be in front of us at 8...and following Matt Barkley's pro day later this week---and the likelihood that he will have a great pro day like just about every pro day turns out--- even Geno may be there for us. It all comes down to which QB the Bills feel is the best for our offense.

People on here seem to think that it's unlikely that the Bills will move up in the draft, as the Bills have so many holes and only 6 picks with which to fill them, not to mention the fact that the QB class next year should be better than it next year, so trading next years picks would be a horrible idea as well. Therefore, the Bills should just hope that Geno Smith should fall to them. However, three teams traded within or into the top 6 picks last year on Draft Day, not including the redskins epic trade up for RG3 that happened before the draft. Is no one else worried that if Geno starts to drop to us, some other team will trade in front of us for him? Teams flat out know that we're going to take a QB this year, probably in one of the first two rounds. Is no one else worried about the Jets moving in front of us? The Titans, if they're unsure of Jake Locker? Or possibly a team that currently is set at QB, but is looking towards the future?

No team is going to trade up ahead of us to take a qb. That would be foolish considering the qbs that are in this draft. I'm not saying that there aren't good qbs in this draft but not good enough to give up picks in order to make that leap forward in the first round. If a team or two does move up it will be for other positional needs.

There are some defensive studs that might entice a team to move up such as Jarvis Jones and a number of DE & DTs that would be attractive players to go after. The CB from Alabama is another player that another team might covet.

The problem that the Bills are facing is that if they don't take a qb in the first round there is a number of teams drafting ahead of us who could select a qb we like in the second round. Also, teams might be more likely to jump ahead of us in the second round (less cost) if we don't go after a qb in the first round.

It all comes down to whether you believe there is a QB in the draft that has a high possibility of becoming your Franchise QB. Personally most experts and even people like myself do not see any sure fire QBs in the draft this year. The only one I would be comfortable taking with such a high value pic as our 8th is Smith. And while I see him as having a high probability of becoming a competent QB, I don't even see him as having a high probability of becoming a Franchise level QB. After him the opinions are split all over the place about their ranking. Therefore I would not worry about what other teams do. One of the 2nd level QBs will be there when we pick in the 2nd. They all are high risk picks, so choose the best from those available and hope for the best. Personally I think our best hope is to trade down for a late round first and another first or a 2nd plus some later round pick and choosing the best in the late 1st. The difference between the quality of the QBs after Smith is not that apparent. Unlike last year when I was so excited that Wilson might actually fall to us in the 3rd, none excite me at any level that I would be crushed if they were drafted ahead of us.

Edited by simpleman

The Raiders are gonna take Geno.

Not if the Jags take him with the 2nd pick, or not if somebody trades up into the #1 spot.....but seriously, what makes you so sure? The Raiders have a monstrous need for defensive linemen (especially DT), and it just so happens that this draft happens to be very top heavy with talent at the d-line position. I predict Sharrif Floyd or Dion Jordan to the Raiders.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Geno Smith is not the best QB prospect in the draft. He has slow eyes. Let someone else spend a top ten pick on him. If the bills see what they want to see on Wednesday with Barkley, then I could live with him being the pick. He is more ready to start from day one than any of the others.

Not if the Jags take him with the 2nd pick, or not if somebody trades up into the #1 spot.....but seriously, what makes you so sure? The Raiders have a monstrous need for defensive linemen (especially DT), and it just so happens that this draft happens to be very top heavy with talent at the d-line position. I predict Sharrif Floyd or Dion Jordan to the Raiders.

They are releasing Palmer, and his backup is Terrell Pryor. They will be taking Geno - take it to the bank.

They are releasing Palmer, and his backup is Terrell Pryor. They will be taking Geno - take it to the bank.

Yeah, and Palmer's back-up is Terrelle Pryor who they just recently spent a 3rd round pick on in the supplemental draft. The same Terrelle Pryor who has been rumored all off-season to be getting a shot at the starting QB job. I wouldn't be so sure dude. The Raiders have a lot greater needs than QB.

Buddy might feel we need more picks and will be willing to deal to get them. This year more than any previous year during his reign.

if it was me i would be trading down for next years draft too. get as many picks as possible to trade with for next years QB draft.

hell i dont care if we draft this years qb in the bottom of the second. Its a wash anyways.

Sucks for Brandon but it's true

Yeah, and Palmer's back-up is Terrelle Pryor who they just recently spent a 3rd round pick on in the supplemental draft. The same Terrelle Pryor who has been rumored all off-season to be getting a shot at the starting QB job. I wouldn't be so sure dude. The Raiders have a lot greater needs than QB.

They have Terrell Pryor as their QB......and you say they have greater needs than QB? I'm not saying they're definitely going to take Geno, but if they think he's a franchise guy, they're showing why their franchise is in the dumpster. They have NO bigger need than QB. If you don't have a good-great QB, your biggest need is QB. Period. My raiders have a 3rd round pick QB......that can't throw.

Edited by NewEra

They have Terrell Pryor as their QB......and you say they have greater needs than QB? I'm not saying they're definitely going to take Geno, but if they think he's a franchise guy, they're showing why their franchise is in the dumpster. They have NO bigger need than QB. If you don't have a good-great QB, your biggest need is QB. Period. My raiders have a 3rd round pick QB......that can't throw.

Well...that is just your opinion man, and you are entitled to that. It is my opinion, however, that given the weak QB class this year, the Raiders will want to get better value with the #3 overall pick. Yes, given that Terrelle Pryor is a largely unproven commodity at this point, QB in a need for the Raiders. It has been my impression, however, that new offensive coordinator, Greg Olson, feels that Pryor was misused in his limited action last season. I suspect that they will try to utilize him in a role similar to Russell Wilson and RG-III...in a read-option type offense. It is pretty clear that Pryor's strength is not as a drop-back passer, and with some coaching, he might thrive with a change of offensive scheme that capitalizes on his strengths as an athlete who can run with the football.

IMO...a read-option type offense with a combination of Pryor, Darren McFadden, and Marcell Reece would be scary for opposing defenses. They could take the best defensive lineman (or perhaps Dee Milliner) with the #3 overall pick, and still draft a developmental QB in the 3rd or 4th round if needed (i.e., Bray, Dysert, Scott). I see defensive line and cornerback to be greater needs for the Raiders this year.

BTW...your avatar is scary. Please don't snap my arm in half for disagreeing with you.

Well...that is just your opinion man, and you are entitled to that. It is my opinion, however, that given the weak QB class this year, the Raiders will want to get better value with the #3 overall pick. Yes, given that Terrelle Pryor is a largely unproven commodity at this point, QB in a need for the Raiders. It has been my impression, however, that new offensive coordinator, Greg Olson, feels that Pryor was misused in his limited action last season. I suspect that they will try to utilize him in a role similar to Russell Wilson and RG-III...in a read-option type offense. It is pretty clear that Pryor's strength is not as a drop-back passer, and with some coaching, he might thrive with a change of offensive scheme that capitalizes on his strengths as an athlete who can run with the football.

IMO...a read-option type offense with a combination of Pryor, Darren McFadden, and Marcell Reece would be scary for opposing defenses. They could take the best defensive lineman (or perhaps Dee Milliner) with the #3 overall pick, and still draft a developmental QB in the 3rd or 4th round if needed (i.e., Bray, Dysert, Scott). I see defensive line and cornerback to be greater needs for the Raiders this year.

BTW...your avatar is scary. Please don't snap my arm in half for disagreeing with you.

I hear ya buddy. I guess my view of Pryor is different than most. I never thought he was any good, even in college. He just doesn't impress me. I can't imagine putting my season in his hands, so I feel that most teams would feel the same. I could very well be wrong on all accounts. Although I do believe that if you don't have a good QB, obtaining one is always the #1 priority if there's one on the board that you like.

It's an interesting thread, but I'm not sure I see it happening, or that it will really matter anyway. I think the Bills are going to be happy with Geno Smith in the first and pretty much just as happy with Nassib, Barkley, Manuel, Jones, or even Wilson in the 2nd round. So the real question if this does occur is whether the Bills can actually trade down in the first round and maybe pick up and extra draft pick. I think they're really kind of stuck with the 8th pick based on who's projected to be drafted early and the teams below them and their respective needs. I could see maybe the Bears moving up if Jarvis Jones is still there at 8th, but then the question is whether the Bills should be picking him given their needs. The real question should be if all of Geno Smith, Jarvis Jones, and Coradelle Patterson are all on the board at that 8th pick, what do the Bills do and what should they do?