If You Could Make One Song Disappear Forever ...

Gugny

That is one !@#$ed up sentence. Is his music great or is it racket??

You may know a lot about a lot of things but music ain't one of them.

Prince brought a lot to the table other than guitar playing (singing, composition, entertainer/front man, etc), but when he decided to rip a solo on guitar he was one of the best.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it kind of is. And by any metric you care to measure, Prince is NOT "top 10".

Which is not even remotely a criticism of Prince. This...

Is great, both technically and compositionally. And I'll never argue that his sense of composition and musicianship isn't top shelf, and that he plays a variety of instruments at a very high level of competence.

But you're basically saying he's indisputably better than the likes of Brad May, Django Reinhardt, Duane Allman, Buddy Guy, Slash, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Frank Zappa, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Ry Cooder, etc. That's patently ridiculous. You'd have to be completely ignorant of a LOT of excellent guitarists to argue that Prince is top 10.

Yes I would put him ahead of Slash, Santana, Ry Cooder, and Steve Via. Yeah Steve Vai. Fast and loud does not great make.

Yes I would put him ahead of Slash, Santana, Ry Cooder, and Steve Via. Yeah Steve Vai. Fast and loud does not great make.

Prince wouldn't even put himself in front of Santana.

And I put Steve Vai on that list because he's far more than "fast and loud" (note I didn't put Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, or Eric Johnson on the list). He's a phenomenal composer and musician - if you think all he is, is "shred", you've never heard his compositions for the Metropole Orchestra.

Prince brought a lot to the table other than guitar playing (singing, composition, entertainer/front man, etc), but when he decided to rip a solo on guitar he was one of the best.

Here's a much higher-quality version of that video (HD has spoiled my eyes). Love the move where he leans into the crowd and is held up by a roadie while soloing.

Is Dani Harrison a near-clone of George, or what?

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Prince wouldn't even put himself in front of Santana.

And I put Steve Vai on that list because he's far more than "fast and loud" (note I didn't put Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, or Eric Johnson on the list). He's a phenomenal composer and musician - if you think all he is, is "shred", you've never heard his compositions for the Metropole Orchestra.

Please explain to me what composing for an orchestra has to do with playing guitar? Oh that's right nothing. That would be like me saying the Bach was not one of the top organist of his time and you saying oh yes he is have you listented to his composition of Brandenberg Concerto??

And seeing music is so subjective let me clarify my top 10 remark. He's one of the top 10 that I personally like to listen to. My 10 include those you have not mentioned like Al Di Meola, Jake Cinninger, Stanely Clark (the bass is a guitar), Jerry Garcia (a great guitar player? No, but someone whose sound is so unique), Derek Truck, Warren Haynes. So to argue about who is the best is silly.

Edited by Chef Jim

Robert Quine is my favorite underrated guitar player. Just always came up with cool inventive phrases & sounds. Played with Richard Hell on both of his records and Lou Reed (Blue Mask and Legendary Hearts), Tom Waits (Rain Dogs) and other miscellaneous stuff. His masterpiece, in my opinion, is the Blank Generation album with Richard Hell & the Voidoids. 100% crazy, original, amazing stuff.

Edited by gringo starr

Please explain to me what composing for an orchestra has to do with playing guitar? Oh that's right nothing.

Aside from refuting your idiotic statement that he's just "fast and loud..." guitar was part of the orchestral pieces. And Prince's real strength as a guitarist is his compositional ability...so if you're going to compare guitarists on something other than simply technique, it's a completely appropriate comparison.

But now that you're backing and filling away from "top 10 guitarist " to "well...maybe not" to "I meant one of my personal top 10," the argument's over. I'm not going to argue personal preference with you (guess what? Ry Cooder's not one of my favorites either. I'd prefer Prince's music over Cooder's. Cooder's still a better guitarist.) But if you were merely stating your personal preference, maybe you shouldn't have stated it as an absolute truth, you dumb !@#$nugget.

Aside from refuting your idiotic statement that he's just "fast and loud..." guitar was part of the orchestral pieces. And Prince's real strength as a guitarist is his compositional ability...so if you're going to compare guitarists on something other than simply technique, it's a completely appropriate comparison.

But now that you're backing and filling away from "top 10 guitarist " to "well...maybe not" to "I meant one of my personal top 10," the argument's over. I'm not going to argue personal preference with you (guess what? Ry Cooder's not one of my favorites either. I'd prefer Prince's music over Cooder's. Cooder's still a better guitarist.) But if you were merely stating your personal preference, maybe you shouldn't have stated it as an absolute truth, you dumb !@#$nugget.

A top 10, 50, 100 list of any musician is alway going to be based on personal preference you twit. How do you grade it? Most notes per minute? Most number of albums sold? Most sold out performances? Ability to compose and what does that mean? Wow, Steve Vai can compose. Is that why you included Zappa? I mean if you can't keep score how do you compare them? By height?

Funny, Ry Cooder is one of my favorites and I prefer his music to Prince's but he's not as good a guitar player you stupid ass-munch !@#$stick.

A friend of mine said that he would get rid of "Baby" by Justin Bieber. His theory being that Bieber's next song bombed; therefore Bieber would have no career, and Rebecca Black would have never made "Friday" because Miss Black stated that Justin Bieber was her inspiration to make that song.

Jesus, if that isn't the biggest reason to get off our asses and create a time machine, I don't know what the hell is.

Heh, heh, heh...just because you have a small penis there's no need to get violent.

If that made people violent, I'd be like Ray Lewis the night before the Super Bowl.

Very much a Hendrix desciple, who went more R&B than blues like Jimi did.