Fred Davis FA TE has dinner with Bills brass

Scott_36

Complainers are always going to make the most noise. Count me among those who pretty closely follow Bills-related news, but, for the love of Pete, ain't got time to sit around bitching about it and calling into question the abilities of highly-paid professionals.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Fred Davis, pre-injury. But an achilles is a huge injury for someone like davis who would need lateral quickness to get open. The injury scares me. I would only want to sign him if it was a multi-year (3-4) with low salary and incentives. I would have very low expectations in Yr1. I would not want to sign him to just a 1 year deal, as there is no upside for the team. If he does poorly, you've wasted your money. If he does well, he just used you as leverage for a new deal in UFA next summer.

I love Fred Davis, pre-injury. But an achilles is a huge injury for someone like davis who would need lateral quickness to get open. The injury scares me. I would only want to sign him if it was a multi-year (3-4) with low salary and incentives. I would have very low expectations in Yr1. I would not want to sign him to just a 1 year deal, as there is no upside for the team. If he does poorly, you've wasted your money. If he does well, he just used you as leverage for a new deal in UFA next summer.

I torn my Achilles in July (funny, I picked up Davis in fantasy the week he torn his Achilles). Awful injury. But I've been walking with out assistance since Novemeber and now I'm able to lightly jog. It feels great but I'm not supposed to go all out until July. But honestly, I could probably sprint if I needed to. And that's without the kind of medical staffing a pro athlete would receive. If he really busted his butt, he could easily be ready for the start of the season.

I think Davis was turning into a beast but he is the type of guy that screams 1 year deal. I'm not the moral police on drugs but if a guy keeps failing drug tests, it's a problem. Davis can prove himself for a season like TO and the team could negiotate if they want a longer deal through the season. But he is a guy who is too risky to invest too much in. As others have said, this is a good TE draft. I really like Fauria from UCLA as a later round guy.

Just so I understand it:

For the past two weeks many folks (myself included) have been agitated by the Bills' lack of activity in FA and apparent lack of efforts to plug key holes prior to the draft.

Now, it gets announced that OBD had dinner with a free agent tight end, who may or may not sign here for an unknown amount and length of time, and folks are agitated.

For the life of me I cannot fathom why. Nothing has even happened yet. They haven't signed anyone. If they do sign Davis, we don't yet know what the terms would be. And there is no reason to suggest that signing him will preclude signing someone else, or even drafting another tight end.

So I ask, WHAT IS IT YOU PEOPLE WANT?

If they wanted a TE, they should have pursued Brandon Myers from the Raiders. He's healthy and not a character risk. Instead they're looking to hit a homerun by having to spend more than they would on Myers on a guy who suffered a serious injury which has a low chance of full recovery, and who has several strikes against him. Not to mention the Skins and Jets are looking at him, meaning his price might go up. Basically it's a waste of time.

If they wanted a TE, they should have pursued Brandon Myers from the Raiders. He's healthy and not a character risk. Instead they're looking to hit a homerun by having to spend more than they would on Myers on a guy who suffered a serious injury which has a low chance of full recovery, and who has several strikes against him. Not to mention the Skins and Jets are looking at him, meaning his price might go up. Basically it's a waste of time.

Says who?

Not one of the guys with pitchforks but here is my explanation - there has been a dearth of information regarding discussions, workouts etc with free agents. Such activity may very well be on-going and the Bills are quiet because of Buddy-gate and I am fine if that is the case.

All the news we have received is about private workouts with Geno Smith, EJ Manuel etc.

But then the only piece of news re: FA that comes out is regarding a TE who suffered a big injury just a few months back. If the FO is going to control and manage what news gets out, can they not do so with a more exciting FA ? Leads me to believe they either made a poor choice of who they want the fans to find out about or that there are no other FA discussions happening. Hence the frustration IMHO.

he's no mike wallace, but i disagree he's not an exciting name. of the players we might have actually gone after he's near the top of my list (or was before reading more about the injury and legal troubles). if not for that, he might be a top 5 or 10 FA this year. the injury may even knock him out of the top 50, but it'd still be a pretty interesting/exciting "get" in my book.

Complainers are always going to make the most noise. Count me among those who pretty closely follow Bills-related news, but, for the love of Pete, ain't got time to sit around bitching about it and calling into question the abilities of highly-paid professionals.

So, never question anyone on an NFL team? Got it.

Myers signed a 1-year $2.25M deal with the Giants. I don't see Davis signing for less than that.

well, it's not exactly that... only if they cut him. it's 4 years, 14.25M if they don't. considering Davis' injury, i could see a similarly structured contract.

Myers signed a 1-year $2.25M deal with the Giants. I don't see Davis signing for less than that.

I liked what I read about Myers, too, and wanted the Bills to bring him in, but didn't really see him that much. The fact that he got very little interest in FA and then signed a one year deal for that money should tell you something. His "prove it" season was last year and he did pretty well. Teams just didn't think he was all that good.

he's no mike wallace, but i disagree he's not an exciting name. of the players we might have actually gone after he's near the top of my list (or was before reading more about the injury and legal troubles). if not for that, he might be a top 5 or 10 FA this year. the injury may even knock him out of the top 50, but it'd still be a pretty interesting/exciting "get" in my book.

not to be rude on this one, but how familiar with him beyond just seeing a stat line were you, if you were unfamiliar with the injury and drug issues?

i think with the right contract he could be a good fit. i imagine a 2 year deal worth a little more than chandlers is what he gets wherever he ends up. time to recover, show himself and hit free agency very young still.

not to be rude on this one, but how familiar with him beyond just seeing a stat line were you, if you were unfamiliar with the injury and drug issues?

i think with the right contract he could be a good fit. i imagine a 2 year deal worth a little more than chandlers is what he gets wherever he ends up. time to recover, show himself and hit free agency very young still.

didn't say i didn't know about the injury or drug issues. i knew he went to IR, but i forgot that it was the dreaded achilles tear... and i wasn't talking about the drugs, i was talking about the "bottle throwing" incident at the niteclub. never bothered reading about that before. speaks to immaturity, but not a huge deal. he probably won't have that problem here at applebee's or dave & buster's.