Running back rule passed....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

something like this ...

02.jpg

hey yeah! no helmets would be even better. theyd have rosters of four hundred for a regular season game and surgical teams right on the sidelines. the game is won when the other team runs out of players. awesome!

The safety zealots, and lawyers, will ruin are ruining this game.

Seriously don't understand the fans here who applaud this nonsense.

It really doesnt make sense. Runningbacks from pop warner on are taught to run low and make themselves small so they don't expose a big target to defenders. Some runningbacks initiate contact. Another physical aspect of the game being taken out. It's getting ridiculous

More stoppage of plays. More questionable calls. More restrictions. He called that penalty, why not this one?...Impossible to enforce across the board.

People who applaud this probably don't see the slippery slope that this is. I see no problem with a RB finishing a play off with his head, as many times there are multiple defenders. How can you not hit with your head?

There will be some major rule change every single season until the game we love is like a Pro Bowl game.

hey yeah! no helmets would be even better. theyd have rosters of four hundred for a regular season game and surgical teams right on the sidelines. the game is won when the other team runs out of players. awesome!

Rugby disagrees with that, and yes I understand the games are very different. Football players feel invincible in helmets and they aren't any better now than 20 years ago in preventing concussions, but players think that they are better.

There will be some major rule change every single season until the game we love is like a Pro Bowl game.

I would argue it's already that way, just look at the numbers offenses put up through the air.

so you like this rule change? i say just cancel the season, tackling will be the next to go. the defenseless WR calls were out of control last year now this will be added.

you know the risks when you step on the field. you get compensated very VERY well. If we are going to play flag just cancel the whole thing.

(yes i understand the plight of some and I am being naive to some who didn't make any $$$ and are hurt for life, but it is what it is to me)

add some sort of medical coverage for all NFL'ers and that would suffice for me.

I'm not for the rule change only because its natural for big running backs to lower their heads, its what they are taught. I think its going to be something very difficult to call on the field as well. However, for those who think the game is changing in the wrong direction, understand the game changes every generation. Helmets, the forward pass et cetera...we'll still watch it regardless.

Edited by frogger

Whats the penalty? 5 yards? 10? 15?

I actually like the rule considering how they have called these helmet to helmet hits in the past. In the past, the WR would catch a pass, lower his head, and then the defender would get a 15 yard penalty. That was BS. It was the WRs fault! He ducked!

Now I am still waiting for the buddy pass over the middle throw to be a penalty on the QB! Hilarious!

Is it (The tackle box) only behind the line of scrimmage?

Could a running back be 20 yards down field and lower the boom if he's between the hash marks?

How far down field does the tackle box extend in this context?

Edited by BILLS_ROC

This is another ridiculous rule that will be impossible to judge.

I'm all for protecting players heads, but this here is the crux of the problem with this dumbass rule; it will be utterly impossible to enforce with any sort of consistency whatsoever. Stripes already has too much on his plate and adding this piece of stupidity significantly compounds the problem.

I'll tell ya another thing, this heads up program the NFL is implementing is going get kids necks broken.

Your neck needs to be in a neutral position or you will break it eventually. I tried that Heads up BS when is a kid and dam near broke my neck. As you squat down into a running or tackling position your head needs to be in the same position as when you are standing. When you lower yours body your head shouldn't move it all but be in a strait line line with your back. having your head move up or down is asking for it.

If there are any young players reading this thread, please ignore this horribly stupid piece of uninformed garbage posted by an individual who has demonstrated time and time again that he clearly has no clue what he is talking about. Keep your head up and see your target, just like your coaches are telling you to. Not only will it protect your neck, it will also make you a better tackler.

They should've also addressed the grabbing of the facemask when stiff-arming. Right now the running back can basically grasp the defenders facemask and push/twist his head as part of the stiff-arm. I can understand the open handed stiff arm but when they clasp the bars of the facemask that should be a penalty, just like the defenders would be called for.

I agree with this.

I wonder who the 1 "against" vote was.....

I'm all for protecting players heads, but this here is the crux of the problem with this dumbass rule; it will be utterly impossible to enforce with any sort of consistency whatsoever. Stripes already has too much on his plate and adding this piece of stupidity significantly compounds the problem.

What's so hard? Just throw the flag anytime a Patriots LB gets pushed back tackling a RB.

The safety zealots, and lawyers, will ruin are ruining this game society.

Fixed.