Interview with Buddy Nix from Owners Meetings

BRAWNDO

John Kryk who covers the NFL for The Toronto Sun had a chance to interview Buddy Nix at the owners meetings in Arizona today. Spoke with him about plans for a QB.

Highlights:

They will be attending quite a few pro days and will bring in at least 5 to 7 prospects for private workouts in Buffalo. Not surprisingly Smith(this Friday) and Barkley (TBA) lead the list.

Spoke a little about Fitz saw him in Arizona, called him one of his favorites and a great person.

Asked about Vince Young " No would do not do much of that re-treading"

Would not rule trading for a QB and when asked about Matt Flynn specifically of course he refused to name anyone.

Nothing earth shattering just thought I would share.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well gee Billsfan who would you have taken in the last 5 years ? Especially if you rule out the one year wonders of Wilson-Luck and even RG III

well gee Billsfan who would you have taken in the last 5 years ? Especially if you rule out the one year wonders of Wilson-Luck and even RG III - and you would not have taken Wilson at 5 ft 10 either

Somebody tell me this team isnt stupid enough to take the mediocre armed, injured, non-athletic Barkley at 8 to throw in the winds of Buffalo. My patience doesnt have a couple of more years to waste on Jimmy Clausen 2.0.

People keep talking about the Wind etc....We hardly get one game like that in Buffalo. Even last season we had 4 games in December and nothing was out of the extraordinary. I would gladly take an accurate QB who can get the ball in the hands of the WR anytime. Arm strength can always be improved in the NFL. I don't know if Barkley is a Clausen 2.0.

So Buddy tells the Toronto Sun....."I've said from Day 1 there'll be two quarterbacks in this draft that will be long-time starters in this league"......really? Granted, I don't read everything, but I don't recall him saying this before. Sounds like an analytical nugget of wisdom. As in statistical analysis, which I'm all for. I get the impression that Buddy has had his muzzle pulled a little bit tighter this year as have the rest of the real power brokers of the Bills. I believe that's a good thing. Who is behind that? Doesn't matter I guess. All I read is generalities, not specifics. In the past the powers that be were much more open about thier intentions, specific players and plans. I like the cloak and dagger approach much better. Gives me hope the grand plan is a good one. I'm a glass half full kinda guy though.

Go Bills!

I liked that Toronto Sun article. Sounds like Buddy has a tighter muzzle, but it also sounds like the Bills are doing absolutely everything they can to thoroughly analyze and evaluate the top QB prospects in this draft. That can't be a bad thing.

So Buddy tells the Toronto Sun....."I've said from Day 1 there'll be two quarterbacks in this draft that will be long-time starters in this league"......really? Granted, I don't read everything, but I don't recall him saying this before. Sounds like an analytical nugget of wisdom. As in statistical analysis, which I'm all for. I get the impression that Buddy has had his muzzle pulled a little bit tighter this year as have the rest of the real power brokers of the Bills. I believe that's a good thing. Who is behind that? Doesn't matter I guess. All I read is generalities, not specifics. In the past the powers that be were much more open about thier intentions, specific players and plans. I like the cloak and dagger approach much better. Gives me hope the grand plan is a good one. I'm a glass half full kinda guy though.

Go Bills!

Do you have a link for that?

My confidence level in Buddy Nix is at an all time low. The Fitz contract was a disaster and set the franchise back years. I do not want him deciding who the next QB is.

It wasn't the contract that set the team back, it was the coach's unwavering faith in the player. The contract was fair market value for an average to below-average QB, right on par with the $$ given to Kevin Kolb and Matt Cassel. It made Fitz the 18th-highest paid QB in the game, and that's about where he fell in nearly every measurable category.

Bad deal for the team? Sure, but nowhere near crippling from a financial perspective.